It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager Student the 'Major player' in LulzSec Global Hacking Plot

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yeah but we are talking about WEP or WPA2, with WPA2 being more recent and more secure but they would still be breakable with the right know-how.

Well thats my opinion, i may be wrong.

To break that he'd need to be transmitting a lot of data and know where he was.

And as he was hosting an IRC server, wifi would be really weak for it.

I assume this is nothing more than the law finding a crack in the chainmail and using it to wedge open a window that they can get more info.

More or less a scapegoat.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Probably a fed move to seize the IRC server and start monitoring LulzSec's activities. It's been done many times in the past when dealing with underground organizations online. Only this time someone blew it by letting this information slip to the press... if it was a slip.

I'm not sure who lulzSec is attempting to fool, but you don't 'setup an IRC server' and leave it at that. Unless the person in question has a lot of documentation showing that it was a business transaction, to provide server/bandwidth, the he's going to get hit with a conspirator charge for just providing the gathering venue for lulzsec.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

That's not the mastermind, honestly this is just propaganda. It's ran by a group of 14, 7 of which are well over 20...and what I just said may not even be true, since the group only speaks through, Piratebay,Twitter,private IRC channels and of course their site..

The kid they caught is probably a script kiddie that was using the groups name
edit on 22-6-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

But it all depends on who is trying to trace your connection and whether or not they have the capability of breaking the encryption.

Although it's not an easy task for the average person or even a hacker, there are government agencies (NSA) and even private companies that have the capability. What if a federal agency went to the phone carrier and asked for the details of the person connected at the time and approx place, as long as they had the right type of warrant it could be done, especially with all the new privacy/security laws passed in the past few years.

Although it's public Wifi, there is always some type of link or trace that you were there, all they would need is an IMEI or Sim-card number register.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

Actually a SIM card is not needed as he is not referring to a cell phone network, he is referring to an 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network types that operates at 2.4 GHz RF space. All that is needed is the client's wireless Ethernet device's MAC (Media Access Control) address (example of a MAC address: 00:0A:AC:65:67:AF). Even though, they wont initially catch him, they will depend on future connection made by the client (laptop/PC/etc) since MAC address will always be the same, all what they will have do to is pin point locations, seeing which of their many access-points/repeaters/etc is receiving connections from the MAC address in question, then if necessary, use a portable access-point configured to connect to the same public wifi network and park your self to the area where you think might be the epi-center where the client with the MAC address your are looking for might be located and hope that their next connection to this public free wifi network be done through the portable wifi access point that the investigator has on their hands (all that is needed to create a portable access point that leap frogs to another wireless network is a Linksys or any compatible router that is compatible with the open source DD-WRT firmware).

After the client makes connection to the investigator's "prepared" router, the investigator can then login to his 'portable' router's DD-WRT gateway page and then go to the wifi client's page to look for the correct MAC address that will be listed there and the signal strength. At this point, all that the investigator needs to do is drive slowly to see if the client's device signal strength diminishes or improves, if it does improve it means that the investigator is getting closer to the physical location of target. By using this "squaring" technique it is possible to finally pin point the exact address where that MAC address is coming from and perform a search warrant to locate exact device with MAC address in question, once found, then do an arrest.

See? very simple for the technologically minded investigator, and if in such police department doesn't have any technologically minded person that knows these things, they all they need to do is hire people like my self to walk them through the whole operation.

Now, it is possible for the CLIENT to be truly anonymous by changing their MAC address. There is a special freeware software that allows you do change your wireless adapter's MAC address to any other value you manually specify, if you do this, then, and THEN there is no way that any one can technically find you, one you change your MAC address, you will be seen by the network as a bran new client just connecting to it. But of course, less than 1% of these "hackers" knows that the MAC address is changeable, let alone are aware of the existence of MAC addresses and its implications for them, they only rely on IP address, they think that by making sure that they dont use their ISP's public IP address that they are anonymous, but they fail to understand the other part, one that is a tad less serious than the IP address, their unique MAC address.
edit on 11/6/22 by CanadaMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by iamaperson

Encryption + public wifi = anonymous.

You are never anonymous on the internet

I know what you mean, but I don't think this boy was really being serious, just playing around on the internet, why would he go to all that trouble? Was he even a part of this group, if so I wonder what part he played-probably nothing big, probably none of them play any big part in the group.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
did anyone else notice that the frame above his house door looks like the masonic symbol?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Exactly. As badw0lf says, a scapegoat.

I don't know why, but I'm finding this whole saga fascinating. I surf a little here and there, but haven't found myself engaged in reading for hours online about any subject for a long time - but this has piqued my interest.

Even before LS tweeted after the arrest (terrible sentence fragment but sue me) I knew this wasn't over. But they're still tweeting, and I hung out in the IRC they posted on twitter and watched the fanboys (for lack of a better word), since there didn't seem to be any actual LSers on there at the time, but they definitely seem to still alive and kicking.

Whether this guy is LulzSec or not, he's most certainly not a key player.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged
did anyone else notice that the frame above his house door looks like the masonic symbol?

I sure didn't. Does the symbol have a meaning or is it just a "masonic" symbol?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Interesting timing..

A parliamentary committee has urged the government to renegotiate its much-criticised extradition treaties with the US and EU to avoid future cases like that of Gary McKinnon, the hacker who has spent nine years fighting removal to America.

Swift action was needed in particular to make sure Britons were not sent overseas for trial over alleged offences committed wholly or mainly inside the UK or, as is currently the case, without any evidence being offered against them, the joint committee on human rights (JCHR), which comprises MPs and peers from all three major parties, concluded following an inquiry.

Source

I wonder if the Tories and Cameron in particular has the courage to consider renegotiating our (Britain) extradiation treaties with either the EU or the US.. It would certainly change the landscape of this case should it go anywhere.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
This guy is 'totally' being used as a scapegoat...

Enough said...

To add to the story tho,
TPTB 'are' who is behind all of these hackings...

No way some dude did all of this s+^t...

Come on guys, Get REAL!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

He is a British citizen, meaning he cannot be tried in the US court of law. Sucks for US authorities I guess. .

Oops someone hasn't been keeping up with the new world order laws. The US can do whatever they want whenever they want, look at IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, (Libya to be) and of course our old friend the IMF.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
If i heard right, he "backstabbed" lulzsec, so in response they released a picture of him, his home address, and his phone number.

i'm pretty sure he only hosted a lulzsec chat-room.

so basically, the cops just went to the address, no outstanding police-work brilliance behind his arrest. and definitely not the "mastermind".
edit on 22-6-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

He is a British citizen, meaning he cannot be tried in the US court of law. Sucks for US authorities I guess. .

Oops someone hasn't been keeping up with the new world order laws. The US can do whatever they want whenever they want, look at IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, (Libya to be) and of course our old friend the IMF.

While that is true.. I'm not sure the US is really prepared send cruise missiles, stealth helicopters, or attack drones into Essex..

and the UKs Parliamentary committee (day after this arrest) have released a report saying we (Britain) need to urgently renegotiate our extradition treaties with the US (and the EU).

I doubt Cameron has it in him to ever do anything about it.. but if he did it would make an interesting change in the current political landscape.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I dunno, but I see guys like lulzsec and annon as modern day Robin Hoods -- sticking it to the man. We all moan about how powerless we are against the heavy machinery of the modern Corptocracies which rule us.

These guys have found the Achilles heal of the evil giants and are exploiting it. Sounds good to me. At least a few aren't as powerless as the rest of us seem to be.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Judging from the comments, at least we know who the "hackers" on ATS are

Think I know who to go to now when I wanna hack the hell out of my ex-gf...

Btw, Ryan Cleary was also named-and-shamed in The Sun (British tabloid) as the guy behind the Sony Playstation Network hackings!

Talk about being made into a scapegoat on many fronts.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
If i heard right, he "backstabbed" lulzsec, so in response they released a picture of him, his home address, and his phone number.

so basically, the cops just went to the address, no outstanding police-work brilliance behind his arrest. and definitely not the "mastermind".

Wow that's news to me...Do you mind if I ask where you got this source from?

Sounds like dirty play on both sides (Cleary vs LulzSec) here...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

Wow that's news to me...Do you mind if I ask where you got this source from?

Sounds like dirty play on both sides (Cleary vs LulzSec) here...

I have heard this also.
To be honest there are so many rumours flying around I don't think anyone knows the truth apart from the parties involved. Lulzsec did say they only used his computer to host a legitimate chatroom; this being their only connection.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I dunno, but I see guys like lulzsec and annon as modern day Robin Hoods -- sticking it to the man.

How exactly does releasing personal information and credit card details of random people constitute ''sticking it to the man'' ?

Lulzsec do everything for the ''lulz'' - they have no moral compass, nor would they pretend to have.

Anon, on the other hand, are just a bunch of idiots who have hijacked and contradicted the whole concept of Anonymous. Turning their attentions towards painfully cringe-inducing ''hactivism'' while still pretending that there isn't an agenda-driven group with a hierarchical structure controlling their activities.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

reply to post by tom.farnhill

No one can make him fly to the USA. If I was him, I would get a good lawyer. editby]edit on 22-6-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

Tell that to poor old Gary Mckinnon lol... has been extradited from the uk to america yet for hacking (i use the term in its most lightest sense! rofl) into the pentigon and NASA?

I never followed that enough as it went on for too long and i lost track.. Im pretty sure that the UK changed the law which enabled us to deport terrorists (or so called terrorists lol) to the USA? I may have to check on that? but im pretty sure they did!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

AGAIN, you prove that you have no idea what your talking about. You state opinions as facts, with no proof to back up your (incorrect) opinion. Nobody knows everything, but to talk like you know everything, while knowing next to nothing, is really sad.

You should really get out there and research stuff,. before you speak. It is becoming obvious that this would limit your posting ten fold.

Yesterday The Daily Telegraph revealed that the British government had extradited more than twice as many people to America in the past five years – 56 compared with 26 people sent from America to Britain.

Link
edit on 6/22/2011 by ShaunHatfield because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join