It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions That Deserve an Answer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
1. How can someone explain away prophet David's graphic descriptions of Jesus' death by crucifixion a thousand years before Jesus was born? (Psalm 22)

2. How can someone explain the fact that one single, basically uneducated and virtually untraveled man from Nazareth, dead at age 33, who only taught publicly for 3 1/2 years, radically changed hundreds of millions of lives and society across the globe up to this day and this age?

3. Is your current worldview giving you an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

4. Since the origin of life is neither observable, verifiable, or falsifiable, how does the theory of evolution (Abiogenesis) amount to anything at all more than just another system of faith?

5. Which came first, the DNA or the protein to make the DNA?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
1. How can someone explain away prophet David's graphic descriptions of Jesus' death by crucifixion a thousand years before Jesus was born? (Psalm 22)

2. How can someone explain the fact that one single, basically uneducated and virtually untraveled man from Nazareth, dead at age 33, who only taught publicly for 3 1/2 years, radically changed hundreds of millions of lives and society across the globe up to this day and this age?

3. Is your current worldview giving you an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

4. Since the origin of life is neither observable, verifiable, or falsifiable, how does the theory of evolution (Abiogenesis) amount to anything at all more than just another system of faith?

I'll do my best (just my current opinions, not the true answers)

1. 2 options, could it be that he was a true prophet? Or alternatively the second part is fake, if not the first. I go with the first one, being a Christian.

2. 2 options that I can think of, again, he was either the son of God, or there was more than one man making up the story, and these men were very smart.

3. Guess not

4. The theory of evolution has quite a lot of evidence, do you even know what the theory is? (Because I don't, at least completely). It is a theory.

5. Could it be RNA (pre-RNA maybe?)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I just looked up Psalm 22 and didn't really see that...

Christianity became a Roman institution...need I say more?

Too much of one I'm afraid.

I won't be disingenuous and say that they're two separate things. The one immediately precedes the other, and so they are quite closely related. Anyhow, abiogenesis is a sticky wicket that is still under investigation from my understanding of things. That being said, one weakness cannot overshadow the mountains of evidence from various different fields for the theory of evolution as a whole.

The protein to make the DNA? Though I don't quite understand what this has to do with anything.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

How could Noah have managed to fit all of the worlds animals in an ark approx 450ft long 75ft wide and 45ft high?

edit on 22/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar

Hmm, I'm not sure, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" is the first line of Psalm 22 (or so says the first site that came up when I googled it), and that's what Jesus said on the cross apparently. Etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Since I assume the point is to argue the bible's theory - I think its possible that it was misplaced when the collaborative efforts of the church created today's accepted bible - maybe it was hindsight

I don't know really, I'd have to read it - but I agree with iamapersons 2 options also

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there some years missing in there that he could have traveled? Isn't there a theory that all his ideas were born out of time he spent with the Essennes (sp?) - there were already a group of people with these ideas, it was just a matter of finding them and bringing them together - and didn't it also take a really long time before Christianity to actually be recognized as a religion? wasn't it just your every day ordinary cult in its day?

nope, something else gives me a sense of meaning and purpose - my world view is a hobby

The theory of evolution is that a living thing will eventually progress through the process of natural selection (I might be totally confused here but I think I'm right, again, correct me if I'm wrong)
The theory of evolution doesn't say how we got here from Apes and thats what ruins its credibility - The truth is that we came from humans - Apes get better apes through evolution, Ants get better ants, Dolphins get better dolphins, Killer WHALES have learned how to eat Great White Sharks, and Humans will evolve always into better humans.

Where we originated is a lot of faith and guesswork on everyones part - but its really compelling if you place 3 different species of vertebrate in the early fetal stages (birds, lizards, humans) next to each other and its difficult to tell them apart - I imagine thats what primordial ooze looked like - goo with ... ok letting go of the visual

The difference between religion and science always comes down to "the chicken or the egg"

Religion says thats easy, the chicken came first. Why? because God designed a mature environment.

Science says The real question is what came BEFORE the chicken AND the egg.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

How could Noah have managed to fit all of the worlds animals in an ark approx 450ft long 75ft wide and 45ft high?

Good question. I don't know. Perhaps God shrunk the animals? Considering all the animals had to get there, some more miracles could have happened to fit all the animals in, so its not really an easy question to answer. Or maybe Noah had very long feet

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Good question. I don't know. Perhaps God shrunk the animals? Considering all the animals had to get there, some more miracles could have happened to fit all the animals in, so its not really an easy question to answer. Or maybe Noah had very long feet

Its misinterpretation - he only had to collect all the animals in his area
other cultures were having their own floods and doing their own collectings

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Quote: ["1. How can someone explain away prophet David's graphic descriptions of Jesus' death by crucifixion a thousand years before Jesus was born? (Psalm 22)"]

Because you interpretate the bible, so it fits with your pre-determined answers.

Quote: ["2. How can someone explain the fact that one single, basically uneducated and virtually untraveled man from Nazareth, dead at age 33, who only taught publicly for 3 1/2 years, radically changed hundreds of millions of lives and society across the globe up to this day and this age?"]

Because this orchestrated myth has had a massive amount of violence helping it.

Quote: [" 3. Is your current worldview giving you an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?"]

The question is meaningless. It's just an excuse to impose religious fantasies in possible gaps (as in the intelligent design case).

Quote: ["4. Since the origin of life is neither observable, verifiable, or falsifiable, how does the theory of evolution (Abiogenesis) amount to anything at all more than just another system of faith?"]

Not being much of a biologist myself, I haven't got the competence for an answer. But I can say, that your competing creationist answer definitely is based on a nonsense methodology, whereas the scientific procedure per se isn't a 'faith', but is 'observable, verifable and quantifiable'.

Quote: ["5. Which came first, the DNA or the protein to make the DNA?"]

I'll leave that to competent biologists to answer.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
All answers and participation is appreciated, stars across the board.

Will bring some more Qs tomorrow, getting late tonight.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

The question is meaningless. It's just an excuse to impose religious fantasies in possible gaps (as in the intelligent design case).

Aren't all the questions meaningless. None of the questions imposed religious fantasies in my opinion. And how many possible gaps do you really fill with religion? I would have thought that it would make more questions.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar

Hmm, I'm not sure, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" is the first line of Psalm 22 (or so says the first site that came up when I googled it), and that's what Jesus said on the cross apparently. Etc.

A lot more than that, Psalm 22 was written first-person singular as Christ hung on the cross. If includes Christ's first recorded words (Verse 1), the taunts of the people watching the crucifixion, (verse 8), His bones were out of joint from the beating and pulling His arms outstretched. Crucified people defecated on themselves as they hung. (verse 14) David describes the method of crucifixion 500 years before it was invented by the Persians when capital punishment in Israel was stoning. (verse 16) They parted Jesus's robe, but didn't tear His vesture, instead they cast lots for it. (verse 18) Describes Christians who will come and declare His righteousness and His crucifixion. (verse 31)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Aren't all the questions meaningless. None of the questions imposed religious fantasies in my opinion. And how many possible gaps do you really fill with religion? I would have thought that it would make more questions.

Question 1 to 4 has the usual amount of semantic gymnastics I've come to expect.

The idea of the 'meaning of life' question, is purely tactical rhetorics. "If you can't answer, we can".

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
man, did you have to pick like the LONGEST psalm ever

I read it twice, I barely digested it

I only have two problems
it doesn't SAY its Jesus words; and
it doesn't appear in RED
my version of the Bible has all of Jesus words in RED

P.S. Yes I did actually pick up a bible and look - I did not google

edit on 22-6-2011 by Forevever because: the book is better than the movie

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

My Bible is a red-letter edition as well. But that's only for words spoken post-incarnation. This is an interesting endeavor, but virtually every time you read of the Angel of the Lord in the OT it's a pre-incarnate Jesus. Especially good one is Joshua chapter 5, and when He and two angels met with Abraham and Sarah in their tent and she mocks Jesus when He tells her she will bear child.

edit on 22-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: Spelling monkey attack thwarted sucessfully.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

My Bible is a red-letter edition as well. But that's only for words spoken post-incarnation. This is an interesting endeavor, but virtually every time you read of the Angel of the Lord in the OT it's a pre-incarnate Jesus. Especially good one is Joshua chapter 5, and when He and two angels met with Abraham and Sarah in their tent and she mocks Jesus when He tells her she will bear child.

edit on 22-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: Spelling monkey attack thwarted sucessfully.

And I once read that all the contradictions in the old testament can easily be explained
The god of the old testament was not Jesus father, and the greatest crime ever committed by any church was connecting the old testament with the new testament and making us believe they are the same

both are theories, neither hold water

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Wow, the OT and NT is an integrated message system, they go hand in hand.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Noah couldn't fit "all the world's animals" on the ark. That's not what God commanded him to do in Genesis.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I only have two problems
it doesn't appear in RED

Are you calling me lazy? You would have to admit though that googling is a lot faster these days. I don't think many prophets really call people by their names though. And those were the words of David, not Jesus, so obviously they are not red, its the prophesy, not the actual thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I only have two problems
it doesn't appear in RED

Are you calling me lazy? You would have to admit though that googling is a lot faster these days. I don't think many prophets really call people by their names though. And those were the words of David, not Jesus, so obviously they are not red, its the prophesy, not the actual thing.

LOL I google tons of quotes, I was just joking about that - but mostly was emphasizing the point that I read the verse and tried to understand where the OP was coming from - and I purposely went to the real bible because I knew that Jesus words were in red

If I call anyone lazy, it'll be me first I promise!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join