It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member stats: Flags, Stars, Posts, W****????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I have tried doing a search for the relavant information, and turned up mostly nothing. Searching for 'W' isnt very productive. There are five stats in each members avatar. I can understand 3 of the 5, but what is the W for? I understand it is a 'rating' of sorts, 50> is silver member, and 100> (or is it 150>, either way....) is gold status.

My question is: How is this rating calculated? It doesnt seem to be stars/posts. It doesnt seem to be related to flags either. Is there a mathmatical formula, or something I can read up on regarding this statistic?

Again I appologize If I have grossly missed this information, just curious is all.

ETA: While we are on topic, could we refresh my memory as to what 'K' means, and how that stat is calculated?

Sincerely Inquisitive, II
edit on 22-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: See ETA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The "W" stands for "WATS"(Way Above Top Secret).
As far as its purpose, best I can figure is it represents your popularity ranking or something like that.
I'm probably way off base though. I agree though, it really should be made clearer.

Oh, and "K" is karma.
edit on 6/22/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I had pondered the same meaning Likewise,

so how do these 'Stats' Raise?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Not a clue but then I've never really looked to closely at it.
Never saw the need for or purpose of popularity contests, not my thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The people with the gold and silver borders are like, the cool kids and you're not allowed to sit at their table during lunch or they'll beat you up.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
The people with the gold and silver borders are like, the cool kids and you're not allowed to sit at their table during lunch or they'll beat you up.

That's not true..
You're welcome to sit with me as long as you have good food that I can eat

BTW, I think K is posts v's stars.
I'm as lost as anyone about the WATS.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Not a clue but then I've never really looked to closely at it.
Never saw the need for or purpose of popularity contests, not my thing.

I concur,

but since the topic arised, thought i would pose the inquiry
edit on 22-6-2011 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I knew I read a good thread about this a while back. Found it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A good quote off of page 1 pertaining to W and K stats:

It's not real complicated.

Karma is influenced most by a stars-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from flags.

WATS is influenced most by a flag-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from stars and post-count.

Long term members with a high number of well-flagged threads will achieve a high WATS number -- or -- mid-term members with highly-flagged threads will also receive a high WATS number. It reflects a ranking of those who start quality threads (mostly).

Short term members who create replies that earn stars may achieve a high KARMA number -- or -- those long term members who focus more on adding to existing threads and are starred as a result, will also achieve a high KARMA number. It reflects a ranking of those who add quality to existing threads.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Regards for the information,

I've always pondered as to why Forums and such have 'Ranking systems'?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

That's not true..
You're welcome to sit with me as long as you have good food that I can eat

But you never wash your hands.

MOOCH.
Bring your own lunch next time....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer uses his "gold status" to pick up chicks!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Well, not physically anyway.

But I will "browbeat" you mercilessly, even from across the room.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

WATS is influenced most by a flag-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from stars and post-count.

If that were true then I wouldn't be a Gold member..

I'd also agree with that because I think the ones that start GOOD threads are the ones that make ATS what it is..

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Stars = s
Flags = f

WATS = f + s

or

WATS = s + f * 5 (The five could be any number to multiply up the value of flags.)

Gold contributors are top 50 on the Way Above Top Secret list (WATS), silver are 51 to 100. I can't find the link to the list now though. Come on mods, help me out here...

I agree that flags would be a better indicator. Stars just means - I've been a member a long time or don't get enough sleep.

The only trouble with the Gold and silver outline is that they are more likely to have their posts taken notice of. That means that they are more likely to get stars and flags. The result of that is that if they continue to post regularly they will be pretty sure to stay there. The idea is - I think - to keep them coming here by rewarding them for all the free content.

NOTE: Obviously that formula is not literally correct. Its just a rough guesstimate of how they work out your contribution.
edit on 23/6/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

I agree that flags would be a better indicator. Stars just means - I've been a member a long time or don't get enough sleep.

Yes, IMO flags are a better criteria and I'm not getting into my sleeping habits..

The only trouble with the Gold and silver outline is that they are more likely to have their posts taken notice of. That means that they are more likely to get stars and flags. The result of that is that if they continue to post regularly they will be pretty sure to stay there. The idea is - I think - to keep them coming here by rewarding them for all the free content.

Well in defense of all Gold Members, they were made Gold with stars and flags received before ATS decided to add the borders and I can honestly say that I have received more bad than good posts regarding that status..

Edit: Here's the link..
It's under Top Topics then click on Top Members.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-6-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Well in defense of all Gold Members, they were made Gold with stars and flags received before ATS decided to add the borders and I can honestly say that I have received more bad than good posts regarding that status..

Granted. However, the borders are there now and make it more likely that you get stars/flags than the rest of us. Even if other members contribute as much as you guys, you get noticed and stay where you are...

Have I really been a member longer than you? You must be tired....

edit on 23/6/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I wonder.... When you start a complaint thread, do mods flag them if it is a righteous report? Snitches can have loads of threads started, with very few flags if not

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Regards for the information,

I've always pondered as to why Forums and such have 'Ranking systems'?

There are varying reasons for social ranking systems in forums. Depends on the forum and it's purpose.

OPEN PROFILE CONTENT IDENTIFICATION

Abstract

Open profile data in a user profile, e.g., free-form fields in a user profile, are processed to identify interests and preferences of the user. The interests and preferences are utilized to identify categories associated with the user profile, and content items, e.g., advertisements, can be identified based on the categories.

Patent Source

RELATED ENTITY CONTENT IDENTIFICATION

Abstract

An entity relationship defining an entity, e.g., a friendship relation in a social network, user groups, etc., can be identified and entity content based on the entity relationship, e.g., user profile data of user accounts, group memberships, etc., can be processed to identify entity topics. One or more content items, e.g., advertisements, can be identified based on the entity topics.

Patent Source

CUSTODIAN BASED CONTENT IDENTIFICATION

Abstract

A custodian profile, e.g., a user profile, associated with a first content item, e.g., an associated web page in a social network, can be identified as a first content item. The first content item can be utilized to identify one or more second content items, e.g., advertisements, that are displayed when the first content item is presented, e.g., viewed by another user of the social network.

Patent Source

Now while these examples are related to advertising. There are also models for social studies as another example but you get the general idea.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Granted. However, the borders are there now and make it more likely that you get stars/flags than the rest of us. Even if other members contribute as much as you guys, you get noticed and stay where you are...

Yes, I could see that happening, especially with the newer members.
But keep in mind, no one asked for this, it simply appeared.
Nearly all comments I have seen from these members are neutral at best..
I think some believe less "obvious" graphics would have been better if that's what they wanted, or just leave it as it was where members can still easily see the stats.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PimanderThe idea is - I think - to keep them coming here by rewarding them for all the free content.

Free content?
You mean I been doing this all for FREE?

BTW stars and flags don't even buy a t-shirt or coffee mug

And I have heard a rumor that Slayer makes people disappear to get up the ladder

Hehehehe
edit on 24-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join