It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earliest Art in the Americas: Ice Age Image of Mammoth or Mastodon Found in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I don't know much about Ice Age finds in the America's .. but I found this article very interesting indeed.

Looking at the partial image.. I'm very impressed with the artwork itself... i mean.. i can't draw that well with a pencil and paper!

We humans are amazing creatures indeed!

Researchers from the Smithsonian Institution and the University of Florida have announced the discovery of a bone fragment, approximately 13,000 years old, in Florida with an incised image of a mammoth or mastodon. This engraving is the oldest and only known example of Ice Age art to depict a proboscidean (the order of animals with trunks) in the Americas. The team's research is published online in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

Source

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Wow, they are finding more stuff down here all the time. I live in Florida. I recently spent time in an undisclosed location where I turned to find the riverbank covered in flint chips and pottery chards near an area where thousand years old dug out canoes have been found due to our drought and where they know Mastadons were hunted in even earlier times. It is amazing. Florida is often forgetten in early American History due to its later Statehood. Never the less, it is one of the richest sites for ancient man in the WORLD. 7,000 year old brain tissue has been recovered from Windover Pond, near Tiitisville FL, and not too far north of the Vero location. Amazing stuff. We didn't start with the Puritans ya know. Rich and interesting history here.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

S & F

Excellent find.

Yup, looks like one to me.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31fdd08726cd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Thought the picture would help the thread.... oh! People in those times were like us.... minus the suit and tie uniforms some regard as modern man!

Thanks for posting this.

Serafine

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e331e0a8aefe.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Sorry Slayer... when I decided to upload the picture as well there was only one response and I was caught talking with someone.... Then I posted the picture and shaaaaBang! Turns out you already filled the need... Thanks!

well... guess people can compare the two pictures and maybe find some conspiracy betwixt em....

Serafine

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

Thanks for posting those pics guys! and 2 is always better than one i say!!! hehe

Shows how little i know about america archiology.. i never had the USA pegged as a thriving mass of finds.

Turns out I was wrong! lol

I find cave paintings and etchings exquisite. I must go and look for more of them now!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I am willing to bet we have TONS of interesting stuff to find but "they" have either removed it or posted a sign that says "Government Property, KEEP OUT."

This land has been here just as long as others so it's natural we have a long history but I believe a lot of it has been destroyed or kept from everyone because heaven for bid we go against what we are taught in school.

Very cool find

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well also the climatic conditions have to be just right to perserve this kind of thing. I imagine more has been lost due to climate than we'll ever know. Sloppy science and lack of publication probably commits as many crimes concerning what we don't know as any government. Sometimes the human factors start with the idividual that finds and disarticulates the item - meaning removes it from in situ, thus making validation very difficult.

In Florida many amazing sites were lost at the early part of the last century as they used the middens and other structures for road construction. Still it seems they continue to find amazing things during new construction or due to drought or other factors.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Amazing picture,it's just a whole different world to us we'll never fully understand but piece by piece we're putting it together.
I wonder how many other pieces of art are out there waiting for us to find,just imagine cutting something into a rock & thinking it looked good,never would you ever it would be looked at 13,000 years later.

alot of new findings lately,always great to read about.

new topics

top topics

join