It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing senses? Can the human eye really act like compass?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Missing senses? Can the human eye really act like compass?

www.bbc.co.uk

A light-sensitive protein in the human eye has been shown to act as a "compass" in a magnetic field, when it is present in flies' eyes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Wow, Wow and thrice WOW!!!!

Are we humans missing one of our senses?

Have we forgotten how to use our personaly fitted compass?

Well.. some researchers now believe that we should indeed be able to work out our north from our south... but we just dont know how to!

Many animals on earth have this ability and it would appear that we mere humans are no different from the rest of them.

I've been sat here for the past 30 mins trying to work out which way was north.. it didnt really work as i already knew which way it was so it was an exercise in futility.

Can we have some private testing going on here between you and post your results? It would be interesting to see if we can really guess the direction of north or south based on our eyeballs!!!

Your thoughts?

Peace

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sadly if we do have one I can't have it because I believe my nearsightedness will hamper it

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I don't think the quality of your eyesight should really have an effect on your ability to turn your eyeballs into a compass haha. I mean, I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I know, compasses work by magnetic fields right? So is there some kind of optic nerve that picks up magnetic fields that we humans have yet to tap into?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
There is a thread on this subject already

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0

Wow, Wow and thrice WOW!!!!

Are we humans missing one of our senses?

Have we forgotten how to use our personaly fitted compass?

IMHO No just another BS report by the BBC who hop on and off the scientific fence when it suits them. But up until now we had forgotten to use our personally fitted brains, however, now it appears that things are indeed changing a little - This is evident by the global civil unrest that is growing each day.

new topics

top topics

join