It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. unveils grim new warning images for cigarette packs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I am getting a really good laugh out of these pictures. Remember all the commercials we used to see of people with holes in their throat, the result of oral-pharangeal cancers, supposedly CAUSED by smoking?

Well - they really didn't know how smoking CAUSED oral-pharangeal cancers but the studies darn well PROVED that smoking was "ASSOCIATED" with it. Except everyone who knows anything about epidimiology knows that CORRELATION IS NOT THE SAME AS CAUSATION.

Funny thing happened - as the smoking rate in the population declined (from about 64 % to about 20 %) the incidence of oral-harangeal cancer continued to rise? Isn't that just the darnest thing? Now why would that be?

Well - here is why - oral-pharangeal cancer is CAUSED by HPV - that right - the same virus that has been proven to CAUSE cervical cancer (another cancer that used to be blamed on smoking) has now been proven to CAUSE about 80 % of oral-phangeal cancer. And why wouldn't it? The oral cavity and throat are covered in the same mucous membrane the covers the cervix.

www.windsorstar.com...

And here they are - paying out taxpayer dollars to try to continue selling us on the idea that smoking is the cause of all cancers. Now how are they going to sell us on the idea that we should pay to vacinate all our children with Guardasil if they are going to continue blaming oral-pharangeal cancers on smoking????

And another thought - the lungs are also covered with the same mucous membranes that cover the mouth, throat and cervix. And recent studies have shown fragments of HPV virus in lung tumors. And the incidence of lung cancer has NOT decreased with the decrease in the smoking rate of the population????

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Canada has had this for a very long time. Nothing new. Hasn't stopped me from smoking. Though i do want to quit eventually. The pictures are just like "Cigarette cause lung cancer *puff*, and can cause anneurysms..*puff*, and heart disease. *puff*"

I live in OZ, and we have had these photo's on the pack and warning in writing for a long time.

Now I use a cigarette case.................F***EM

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
Funny thing happened - as the smoking rate in the population declined (from about 64 % to about 20 %) the incidence of oral-harangeal cancer continued to rise?

According to this and this, rates have been dropping.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
In the country I am in, they recently started doing that, and my daughter was influenced by them to quit!

So it may have an effect on some people.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I love how these days smokers are the pariahs of society and tobacco the greatest evil known to man.
Levied with the heaviest tax of all, all but banned from public view and discriminated against legally when applying for housing, jobs, insurance, etc., etc.

I know I can't count how many times you hear about someone intoxicated on tobacco who runs his car over a child riding a bike and wraps their car around a tree.

Tell me, where are the pictures of mangled bodies and desecrated brain matter affixed to the cans of beer or bottles of vodka?
edit on 6/22/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepennytration
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

PsyOps for the millions if not billions of cancer victims within the next ten years...FUKUSHIMA DAIICHI.

Like that time we (glorious humanity) detonated 2000 nukes for testing then blamed lung cancer on cigarettes.

"Oh yeah, nothing to do with the nukes, it was the smokes it was..."

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
I know I can't count how many times you hear about someone intoxicated on tobacco who runs his car over a child riding a bike and wraps their car around a tree.

Passive smoking accounts for around 1% of all deaths. More than 600,000 people around the world die each year because someone else smoked.

Smokers' deaths account for about 15% of all deaths.

Be smart - read the data yourself:
www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

They want us to quit smoking, yet they made it law for us to sign-up for the selective service when we turn 18...

They want to hush the alternative news sites, yet they want us to tune into MSM every night...

They want us to feel safe when we fly, yet they want to invade our comfort zones...

They want us to re-elect them, yet they want to continue betraying our confidence in their system of control...

They want us to be the land of the free and home of the brave, yet they conduct exercises that compromise it...

There's a common theme at play, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here's the labels if anyone was wondering..

View more here

edit on 22-6-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Totally disgusting and outrageous, yet its accurate, the truth hurts lol, stop smoking ciggies then ?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ayjay

Passive smoking accounts for around 1% of all deaths. More than 600,000 people around the world die each year because someone else smoked.

That is bogus.

The anti-smoking brigade only concerns themselves with the smallest source of smoke - not cars, factories buses or trains. They ought to focus on banning those if they actually care about people breathing in less smoke - but they are attention whores only, so they won't.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Yet, the oppression of smokers has absolutely jack to do with ours or anyones health.
It's purely about politics. Pushing policy against smokers and tobacco companies garners them consistently more votes from their constituents.
I wouldn't be surprised if these policies are always enacted during election years.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

That is bogus.

I'll see your "bogus" and raise you one article in the second most important medical journal on the planet:
www.thelancet.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buford2
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

This is one Conspiracy that needs to be studied and debated. Why are the Elite now worried about tobacco when they enjoy the lower population. This makes no sense. They poison our food, water, man made poisons, alcohol on every corner but the tobacco must go.

I agree with you. There's more to this imo. It makes no sense. They're making us ill and killing us in every possible way. They're putting carcinogens in our food, water and in the air.....so WHY the fuss about cigarettes?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Because the elite are not a homogeneous, unified group. When they're divided on an issue, you end up with one set of policy-makers fighting another, and often the matter ends up in a prolonged court battle.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayjay

Ayjay - You DO understand that those "deaths" from second-hand smoke are all theoretical? Figments of calculation from epidimiology?

As for the ACS - they make too much money from anti-smoking to be believed on anything they say. Would you accept the centre for disease control in atlanta about the rising rates of oral-phangeal cancers?

www.cdc.gov...
"Trends over time in oral cancer incidence are very different for different subgroups of the population.
From 1973 to 1991, the oral cancer incidence rate climbed from 16.8 to 20.7 per 100,000 persons
per year among black men, but declined slightly for white men from 17.5 to 15.3 per 100,000.
Among women, incidence rates remained relatively constant at about 6.2 per 100,000."

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayjay

Ayjay - you are SOOOO funny?

So in your mind and world - how do you explain away that it has now been proved that oral-pharangeal cancers are CAUSED by the HPV virus? How does that FACT jive with your denial?

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Let me detail the faults in your logic.

First up, you reckon the data I presented on passive smoking is a figment of epidemiology. Now - what is the title of the document you present about oral/pharyngeal cancer? "Chapter 1: Descriptive Epidemiology." So what is it - epidemiology is out for you, or it's in for you?

Next: we're discussing oral and pharyngeal cancer. You've cherry-picked the rates for just oral cancer.

As for HPV: Yes, it also can lead to a type of oropharyngeal cancer. So what?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, if you drive a gas-powered vehicle, you have absolutely nothing to add that is of value in your argument against smokers. Anti-smoking car drivers, go ahead--go sit in your car in your enclosed garage for 2 hours with your car running. I'll sit in my car in my enclosed garage and chain smoke for 2 hours. We'll see who comes back. I may not feel real great but I won't be dead.

No, smoking is not good at all. Yes, it can cause the smoker awful problems. But targeting smoking as a bigger, deadlier thing than running a car is insane and if there are ever any proven instances of problems caused by "second-hand smoke" it's from breathing the exhaust from millions of vehicles that pour noxious crap into our air every second. Carbon monoxide is invisible, you can't smell it and it's deadly. It's advertised like crazy on a pack of cigarettes. Tell me, which one contains MORE carbon monoxide: A carton of cigarettes or the exhaust from running your vehicle for 5 minutes?

Where's the ugly, scary death stickers on cars?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join