It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe's highest electric current found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

A COSMIC jet 2 billion light years away is carrying the highest electric current ever seen: 1018 amps, equivalent to a trillion bolts of lightning.

that is "alot" of energy

Philipp Kronberg of the University of Toronto in Canada and colleagues measured the alignment of radio waves around a galaxy called 3C303, which has a giant jet of matter shooting from its core. They saw a sudden change in the waves' alignment coinciding with the jet. "This is an unambiguous signature of a current," says Kronberg.

source

this is something on a large scale developing the enerrgy , but thats "alot" of energy

i am unusually speachless

xploder
edit on 21-6-2011 by XPLodER because: edit

edit on 21-6-2011 by XPLodER because: add pic

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
10 to the 18th power Amps. not 1018 Amps. That is a lot of current! 1 with 18 Zeros!
edit on 21/6/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

thanks for that

a couple of questions
where does all that energy go
where does all that energy come from
is there alot of objects creating vast amounts of energy
and is this considered rotationally induced voltage
or direct ouput?

xploder
edit on 21-6-2011 by XPLodER because: add thanks

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hmm sounds tasty
pretty interesting it would be cool if some time in the future we could tap that. s+f

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by willydude89

imagine if there were lots of these together you could power your craft

i wounder if the energy just "leaks" in to space
mm
xp

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
10 to the 18th power Amps. not 1018 Amps. That is a lot of current! 1 with 18 Zeros!
edit on 21/6/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

i think they said it was compairable to 1 trillion earth lightning strikes

1 000 000 000 000 000 000 Amps
lol
xp

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Amps is a measure of the number of electrons flowing, so 10^18 Amps is a lot of electrons. But space is big with heaps of big numbers around. It is a very interesting phenomena that has been captured, but curious about how much area this covers? It is also quite interesting as to what is driving this charge, would make an awesome battery.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Amperes are comparable with the velocity of the electrons, number is measured in Coulombs.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Amps is a measure of the number of electrons flowing, so 10^18 Amps is a lot of electrons. But space is big with heaps of big numbers around. It is a very interesting phenomena that has been captured, but curious about how much area this covers? It is also quite interesting as to what is driving this charge, would make an awesome battery.

hi there

that is a good point look at all that energy it has to come from something,
i mean energy cannot be created or destroyed
so that energy "came" from somewhere
and must disapate to something
if there were to be a few around an area of space would the output "connect" to provide a "backround" energy level?

interesting, i suspect this has something to do with the rotational forces encountered

there are also lensing considerations in a high energy area

xploder

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
No doubt due to the scale of the anomoly, the power is huge. However the title is slightly misleading. To put it basically, Amps do not make up the amount of power. Volts do. Amps are sort of like how strong the voltage flows. You can get killed by a half a volt providing the amperage of the voltage is high enough. The entire idea can be represented with V=I/R.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Wow, rarely are the words electric current used anywhere in mainstream cosmology. But of course they blame the mythical beast hidden in a veil of plasma, (the black hole) to account for what gravity MUST ultimately be responsible for.

Here's another idea.

The galactic arms of the galaxy are also currents of flowing charged plasma, electric currents, diffuse but extremely large, the magnetic field spirals in and pinches the currents at the central plasmoid. (black hole). A bennett pinch or Zpinch in plasma physics.

This is the general idea.

Gamma rays, Xrays, fusion, and even the jets are a result of the dense plasma focus. Who needs black holes?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
that is "alot" of energy
Too bad we can't tap into an energy source like that closer to home, we could stop building nuclear power plants and let the licenses expire on the ones we have instead of renewing them.

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
No doubt due to the scale of the anomoly, the power is huge. However the title is slightly misleading. To put it basically, Amps do not make up the amount of power. Volts do. Amps are sort of like how strong the voltage flows. You can get killed by a half a volt providing the amperage of the voltage is high enough. The entire idea can be represented with V=I/R.
If you're going to "educate us", at least use the right formula. You're not entirely right about the other comments either, in fact you're pretty close to completely wrong. Amps do determine the amount of power, by mathematical definition, the formula for power is Power= R*I^2 so power is directly proportional to the square of the amps. That version of the formula doesn't even have voltage in it. And the V=I/R formula isn't correct either, it's V=I*R

What you are probably trying to communicate but failed dismally in doing so, is that a low voltage is unable to generate a high enough current in humans to cause death which is why a 12V car battery won't kill you even though it can put out up to 800 amps.

I don't want to be the one to go into that 10^18 amp current to see if I survive or not. I wouldn't be surprised if there's radiation there also which would probably kill you if the current didn't. But we still have a lot to learn about these jets, I don't think they are well-understood, though I'm not surprised by this finding.

Originally posted by squiz
Wow, rarely are the words electric current used anywhere in mainstream cosmology. But of course they blame the mythical beast hidden in a veil of plasma, (the black hole) to account for what gravity MUST ultimately be responsible for.
I was going to say that there must be something wrong with the story in the OP because some electric universe person is going to claim that mainstream folks don't believe in currents in space.

But you already commented on that, I think it's a straw man argument, obviously mainstream does acknowledge all kinds of electricity and magnetism in space, the EU folks just find it easier to argue against mainstream if they claim that mainstream denies it, which obviously is not the case.

Regarding galaxies, it's now believed that most galaxies probably have a supermassive black hole at their heart, so to some degree that supermassive black hole must be influencing the galaxy.

Regarding your video, I dont see the relationship between what's in the video and what's going on in the galaxy, it looks to me like you're comparing apples and atomic bombs and pointing out the relationship, I don't see it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by squiz

"Gamma rays, Xrays, fusion, and even the jets are a result of the dense plasma focus. Who needs black holes?"

oh yea ? telling me the fusion reaction in the sun if just a dense plasma focus ?

is that trillions of dense plasma focuses a second all over the sun ?

or is just that just once to get the ignition going then the rest of them just smash into each other with extreme heat to continue the fusion?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Wow...you completely missed the point of my post. I said the entire idea can be explained with V=I/R. This formula is the basis for all electronic theory. V=I/R, I=V*R, ect ect...And yes, Amperage IS the power of the voltage. I did my best to put it into laymans terms my friend. Please have another cup of happy coffee and a cheer up donut.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

WELL
i think we can all grasp the consept of a trillion lightning strikes
and yes the op was incorrect with the format of the numbers
i dont think this is a ureka moment for plasma cosmology
there are jets all about the place some even release iron and some the components of water,
recently i read about the closest look at the source of the jets of a galaxy with the IR space telescope
and they found that the light and jet were only seen after a certain distence from the supermassive BH
there is a 'motor" action going on here and i suspect huge rotataional presures of matter that is being ejected at near the speed of light from the center "along the axis of rotation"
its very interesting

xploder

edit on 22-6-2011 by XPLodER because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A trillion bolts of lighting! Yikes.

The Universe is as violent as it is beautiful, that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
obviously mainstream does acknowledge all kinds of electricity and magnetism in space, the EU folks just find it easier to argue against mainstream if they claim that mainstream denies it, which obviously is not the case.

You don't seem to have a grasp of the argument about ectricity in space, what are frozen in magnetic fields?
what are "seed" magnetic fields? Why do astrophysists treat field lines as physical objects instead of the currents that must create the fields?
Can you show any examples of mainstream articles talking about electricity doing anything at any significant distances? It was only a few short years ago they said yeah there's electricity but the forces cancel out and have no effect at long range.
However the tides are turning as this article shows as well as the constant stream of information that is coming from the next generation of radio telescopes.

Your comment reminds me of those three stages of truth,

1) ridicule - oh yeah
2) violent opposition - absolutely
3) accepted as self evident - ? in progress

Regarding galaxies, it's now believed that most galaxies probably have a supermassive black hole at their heart, so to some degree that supermassive black hole must be influencing the galaxy.

Believed being the operative word, since black holes remain a mathematical hypothesis with no quantifying evidence well.. and since gravity has to be the source of all energy, what else could it be?

Regarding your video, I dont see the relationship between what's in the video and what's going on in the galaxy, it looks to me like you're comparing apples and atomic bombs and pointing out the relationship, I don't see it.

No, I'm comparing plasma at different scales, it's a plasma focus or pinch effect it. Look it up.
Since that is what we are dealing with after all, and what the galaxy is mostly made of.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Amps are volume. Volume kills. Voltage is electrical pressure. Voltage does not kill. Static electricity from you walking across a carpet in your socks can create thousands of volts...tens of thousands of volts even. People aren't dying off from that. No amperage. You can go outside to your car and grab the positive and the negative posts and nothing will happen to you**. Even though that battery has MORE than enough amperage to kill you and everyone else on your block. The reason is a 12 volt battery doesn't have enough pressure to overcome your bodies natural resistance. So in effect it does take both, voltage and amperage. But it's the current that kills you, not the Voltage (pressure)

Pressure times volume is what power law is....Watts. I (current) x E (voltage) = P (power in watts). What you posted is Ohms law; voltage = current times resistance (in Ohms) Voltage (pressure) is easy all it takes is a step-up transformer, amps (volume) is what's difficult to manufacture (collect) so the title of the thread fits as the voltage required to emit this volume of electrons.....through a non-conductor mind you (empty space) would be absolutely mind boggling.

** Assuming you have a 12 volt battery...DON'T do this if you drive a hybrid!!! lol You may very well die because hybrid automobiles use much higher voltages.

edit on 22-6-2011 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Wow...you completely missed the point of my post. I said the entire idea can be explained with V=I/R.
You're the one who completely missed the point! That's the wrong formula. It's incorrect. It's not right . There is a formula called Ohm's law, but that's not it. And no matter what you call that formula it's not right.

Originally posted by EdSurly

The entire idea can be represented with V=I/R.

What you posted is Ohms law; voltage = current divided by resistance
No what he posted is NOT Ohm's law!!! It's bad enough when one person makes the mistake, gets corrected, repeats it (apparently without looking it up), complains about getting corrected without bothering to find out it is wrong, and then someone else "confirms" the mistake. That is not Ohm's law.

Voltage is not current divided by resistance, it's current TIMES resistance, so it's not V=I/R, it's V=I x R

Originally posted by squiz
Can you show any examples of mainstream articles talking about electricity doing anything at any significant distances?
You mean like the Voyager 1 probe findings in 1979?

www.iki.rssi.ru...

the relative motion between Io and Jupiter's magnetosphere creates a dynamo circuit, which produces large currents flowing between them.

The space probe Voyager 1 passed close to those currents on March 5, 1979, and observed their magnetic fields.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Now that would create a huge powerbill.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join