It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harmful fungal pathogen found in extreme conditions.... YOUR DISHWASHER!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFungi
It's true that some high temperatures kill germs but I study mycology(as a hobby) and higher temps are breeding grounds for contaminations.
best to stick to hand washing

Awesome hobby mate! Would you by chance know the highest known temprature for a funghi or spore to survive under?

That would be an interesting fact to know

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I don't know the answer to that, but here's what I do know.

hsfilling.en.made-in-china.com...

See the 90 degree C degree specification on that? That's about the temperature the bottled fruit juices you buy in the supermarket are sterilized to (about 193-195F). So hopefully that's hot enough to kill most stuff if it's maintained long enough.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I don't know the answer to that, but here's what I do know.

hsfilling.en.made-in-china.com...

See the 90 degree C degree specification on that? That's about the temperature the bottled fruit juices you buy in the supermarket are sterilized to (about 193-195F). So hopefully that's hot enough to kill most stuff if it's maintained long enough.

wow! lets hope then eh? lol

I'd sure be very interested to find out the max of this particular bad boy! hehe

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by Unity_99
There is nothing wrong with technology. Dishwashers arent OIL based. What is wrong in this world is WARS, Fasicsm, and Inequality/poverty, and any form of forcing people or making another Stand Under you.

so bacterial type diseases don't make your list of whats wrong with the world?

just wondering

I also agree on the baking soda and vinegar idea
and Borax
I love Borax

cleans awesome, doesn't scratch, kills bugs (there's no immunity to dehydration)

Borax owns!

If anyone was putting Baking Soda, and Vinegar, not at the same time,through their machines,this fungus would not be there. Vinegar in a 5% solution, which is non toxic and enviromentally friendly (I had instructions for making it in a shtf scenario as well), kills 99.9% of everything, all pathogens, and germs.

I use baking soda and vinegar for all the cleaning, with a bit of soap. No harmful chemicals aside from the dishsoap, and plan on making some non toxic soaps soon too, and toothpaste. I buy a special toothpaste without flouride or that sudsing additive the sls, which is very good but they can be made as well.

Its not the dishwasher thats at fault.

Also, on the energy cycle they take less water than the way I do dishes, I never fill up a sink of soon to be dirty and greasy water, I would never do dishes or put my hands in it.

If I'm sick and the older boys don't do the dishes, I always use baking soda on them as it is, when I wash them.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
wow! lets hope then eh? lol

I'd sure be very interested to find out the max of this particular bad boy! hehe
Actually I just read what I could find on it. I'm thinking the 80 degrees C my dishwasher reaches might be enough to kill it and it really might not thrive "in" the dishwasher.

Where they found it was in the dishwasher seals. The inner portion of the dishwasher seal is exposed directly to the 80 C temperature, but the rest of the seal transitions to cooler temperatures.

So I'm guessing the advice shouldn't be to stop using the dishwasher, but to wipe down the seals with vinegar, since the seals are where they found the undesirable bugs.

You can also put vinegar in the dishwasher, but because of the way the seals are designed, the vinegar may not effectively kill everything on the seal unless you wipe it down directly. The seal is after all, intended to be a barrier so you can't expect what you put in the dishwasher to reach all parts of the seal, it won't.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Bacterial spores usually start to die in the upper 90- lower 100's in my experience.
They thrive right around the 80-85 degree mark and slow down in the 60's.
edit on 22-6-2011 by MrFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFungi
Bacterial spores usually start to die in the upper 90- lower 100's in my experience.
They thrive right around the 80-85 degree mark and slow down in the 60's.
Those spores are tough to kill!

This woman claims bacterial spores can survive 5 hours in boiling water (100C), but only 4 minutes at 121C, so apparently killing them is a matter of both time and temperature. I would expect killing fungal spores would also be a function of both time and temperature?

How to kill botulism spores?

Spores can survive 5 hours in boiling water, but can be inactivated in 4 minutes in an autoclave which provides pressurized steam (121°C, 15 psi). ...

Ann (I am a microbiologist and teach medical students about spores)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

<< 1   >>

join