Harmful fungal pathogen found in extreme conditions.... YOUR DISHWASHER!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Harmful fungal pathogen found in extreme conditions.... YOUR DISHWASHER!!!

www.physorg.com

A potentially pathogenic fungus has found a home living in extreme conditions in some of the most common household appliances, researchers have found. A new paper published in the British Mycological Society journal, Fungal Biology, published by Elsevier, shows that these sites make perfect habitats for extremotolerant fungi (which includes black yeasts). Some of these are potentially dangerous to human health.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow! I've always been against the use of dishwashers as i simply dont trust them... i like to be able to see the cleaning process first hand by not being lazy ;b

I find It very hard for me to allow a machine to take care of such a job. I am very anal about my dishes being cleaned.. my mother purchased a dishwasher, a good one too... but the amount of times I have been disgusted by the scum build up from the chems and the food residues is just horrible. And yes.. the dishes are rinsed before placing them into the dishwasher.

This discovery I guess just goes to show the extreme conditions that these organisms and pathogens can live.. just incredible!

However .. does this make way for a new super bug?

Your thoughts?

Peace

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Now my nephew is a Harmful fungal pathogen?

I knew his feet smelled a little funky but this is serious!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I do not now, nor will I ever, own a dishwasher

cause what for? my hands work.... it only takes like 10 minutes, geez
takes just that long to load the darned thing anyway (or at least unload it)

I cannot be 100% positive that my hands do not have a pathogenic fungus though :X
just sayin...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I am in the US (Pennsylvania), but I have to ask, in Gr. Britain have the removed phosphates from the dishwashing automatic dishwasher liquids/powders as they have here? I have noticed that since phosphates have been removed, my dishes come out 'hazy' sometimes (and I end up rewashing by hand anyway). The only question (that the article doesn't really address) is that some dishwashers have a 'sanitizer' setting (ie, high heat) so I wonder how the 'ick' could grow in those machines. And yes...mine does have that feature; I do use it (always) and I still have the 'haze' but in my mind...its SANITIZED haze...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hmmm. Guess I should be happy that my dishwasher died a few months back and I've been too cheap to replace it.
Now if the drying rack (the bottom rack of the dishwasher pulled out) didn't take up so darn much room on my counter...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Well.. as i understand it (or at least have been told during a health and safety course i once attended) a temprature of 86 degrees celcius or above to kill most know germs or pathogens. This was a food prep course I took many years ago now.. not sure if those figures are still the standard. Food in the hotbox always had to be equal to or above this tempreture to be considered safe.

These particular pathogens have to found to be able to survive tempretures greater that the originaly thought "safe level".

Kinda like those little fish that can survive in the volcanic sulfer riden plumes under the great oceans.

quite bizaar!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Before the dishwasher broke I noticed the awful cleaning job. I had brought boxes of dishwasher tablets (couponing ya'know) from California to Pennsylvania when we moved. Dishes washed up fine. When I ran out and had to buy more - dishes never came out clean. Took me a while before I found out about the phosphate removal.

edit on 21-6-2011 by Mountainmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What!?! I've been eating off of dishes cleaned in a washer for... dear god, my WHOLE LIFE!

ACK GAHRGGHH *dies**

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
can you say LYSOL®

I dropped a fork down the disposal a month back and cut my hand getting it out and i like never got rid of the nasty infection that thing gave me, i have high concentrated chlorine city water and bacteria soap and it didn't help after i got cut. i had to soak my hand in peroxide and put 3ple antibiotic oinkment on it and change the dressing twice a day for a week and finally it started healing. you gotta watch out for these bacteria and fungi, they'll getcha

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Now my nephew is a Harmful fungal pathogen?

I knew his feet smelled a little funky but this is serious!

put potato skins in his shoes and the stink will go away for good

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
Hmmm. Guess I should be happy that my dishwasher died a few months back and I've been too cheap to replace it.
Now if the drying rack (the bottom rack of the dishwasher pulled out) didn't take up so darn much room on my counter...

This might be the best reduce-reuse-recycle example I've ever seen.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I cannot be 100% positive that my hands do not have a pathogenic fungus though :X
just sayin...

Well I can hardly wait to have one, its a huge job here for me, with 5 boys, and often more family, and I can't keep up with dishes and laundry with my chronic fatigue, I leave them till morning half the time, as I'm down with a headache, and only cook real meals a couple times a week, we snack most suppers, for I'm on crash and burn mode from about 1-2 on each day.

Why don't people think to run baking soda and vinegar through the machines every week?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

reply to post by w3nd1g0

just sayin...

Well I can hardly wait to have one, its a huge job here for me, with 5 boys, and often more family, and I can't keep up with dishes and laundry with my chronic fatigue, I leave them till morning half the time, as I'm down with a headache, and only cook real meals a couple times a week, we snack most suppers, for I'm on crash and burn mode from about 1-2 on each day.

Why don't people think to run baking soda and vinegar through the machines every week?

Not trying to be rude or funny but.....

Maybe if you home cooked 7 meals a week instead of just 2 and did not eat processed snack foods.. then you would not be suffering from a lack of energy or fatigue?

Or have you suffered from a bad case of glandula fever in the past causing cronic fatigue syndrome?

When i was a poor student.. i ate rubbish foods all the time.. i felt low on energy constantly. now i eat good healthy fresh meals everyday and feel fantastic.

The exercise i get from doing the dishes MANUALY afterwards helps I believe.

How old are your boys? can they not help out around the home?

Peace

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
Why do you have to put the dishwasher rack on the counter to use it?

Seriously, all I use my dishwasher for is a drying rack, I just put the dishes in the dishwasher after I wash and rinse them by hand. I found that if I just put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and use it to clean them, sometimes some food is left on the dishes. So until that problem is solved, I don't see the point.

Well I do run it maybe once a year just to see if it works!

I'm a little surprised but not too surprised that extremophiles can survive the dishwasher environment. I don't know if the baking soda suggestion would help kill the fungi, it might. Though how many people are really getting sick due to dishwasher fungi? Probably nobody knows.

I never get sick from anything so using it as a drying rack doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0

reply to post by w3nd1g0

just sayin...

Not trying to be rude or funny but.....

Maybe if you home cooked 7 meals a week instead of just 2 and did not eat processed snack foods.. then you would not be suffering from a lack of energy or fatigue?

Or have you suffered from a bad case of glandula fever in the past causing cronic fatigue syndrome?

When i was a poor student.. i ate rubbish foods all the time.. i felt low on energy constantly. now i eat good healthy fresh meals everyday and feel fantastic.

The exercise i get from doing the dishes MANUALY afterwards helps I believe.

How old are your boys? can they not help out around the home?

Peace

Am also not trying to be rude or funny but... 5 kids?
Why have so many if you can't handle it?

And I must second the "better food" issue - I can totally feel it on the weekend if I slack on cooking during the week - and being pretty much "poor" doesnt mean I can't do reasonably well balanced meals of meat, side dish (rice/potato/pasta) and 2 veggies (fresh or frozen, never canned)

If we end up ordering take out more than once a week, I'm tired, cranky, and actually eat more garbage like potato chips and cookies over the weekend (there's a reason they're called ADDitives - cause they're ADDictive!!!)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I have no thryoid, 100% functioning for 16 years, and going down before that, and its now chronic fatigue. I was on synthroid for 6 years, and that absolutely didnt work, for by noon I was so bottomed out of energy, I was laying on the couch with relatives watcing the kids, with an ear open to jump if I had to. If I did a flight of stairs even up town, I would collapse and be unable to speak for 15 minutes, with sweat running down. The public health nurse recommended different meds, the old fashioned kind form animals, which I finally was able to take. Took quite a while to educate the doctor, that this wasn't working.

Now, I can think straight, and clear, though from 2 on, very tired. Drink 12 or more cups of coffee a day, use winter light therapy, am sick half or more of the time from Sept to April. My case is not a normal one, its an extreme one.

I get headaches from it and often go down for long naps to sleep off the migraine in the afternoon, but first sign is the thryoid fog. Its not pleasant.

We have stairs, and I can only do one or two trips up the stairs, if I do more, I get strained, and then morelikely to be sick wtihin a couple days.

I limit my shopping, or outings even, to no more than 3 a week, as they run me down.

I cook only a couple times a week, less if i can.

Have lots instant meals, But my two sons, the 19 year old and 11 year old have turned into good cooks and they use all the cups, and dishes all day long. So there is a big turnover.

Its lots of fun. And I am going to get a dishwasher when it can be fit in. Everyone I know with only a couple in their family and normal energy, has one, but we who have needed one for years, sadly don't.

We just leave dishes for whenever the energy comes.

Again, Baking Soda and Vinegar are wonderful for killing germs,just effective as bleach but better for you. We use them alot.

I would recommend putting them through the dish washers.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with technology. Dishwashers arent OIL based. What is wrong in this world is WARS, Fasicsm, and Inequality/poverty, and any form of forcing people or making another Stand Under you.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with technology. Dishwashers arent OIL based. What is wrong in this world is WARS, Fasicsm, and Inequality/poverty, and any form of forcing people or making another Stand Under you.

so bacterial type diseases don't make your list of whats wrong with the world?

just wondering

I also agree on the baking soda and vinegar idea
and Borax
I love Borax

cleans awesome, doesn't scratch, kills bugs (there's no immunity to dehydration)

Borax owns!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It's true that some high temperatures kill germs but I study mycology(as a hobby) and higher temps are breeding grounds for contaminations.
best to stick to hand washing

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join