It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we beginning to see supercell storms?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kp1987

im in Oklahoma and as always, we are in desperate need of rain!!
living in oklahoma we would normally see lots of rain & tornadoes in the spring but we really havent!!
it seems to just pass us by and flood nearly everything just east of us!
edit on 21-6-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm in MO, and whats scaring me , is the more the storms happen the less warning we seem to be getting. My news for the past 2 months has pretty much not really given us more then 1/2 warnings. Ill be watching and they will say, well were not sure, and then 5 min later "New Breaking News" get out of your area.

My trees, windows, and tiki candles flying everyone has given me more warning then my weather station. I am more scare then usual because I live 1 1/2 hours from Joplin, and we now see that these storms are NOT playing around.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by joeym1991

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Damn, I'm in Aurora Il. It's bucketing and dreich, and it's gusting so bad I can barely watch a movie. I'll keep an eye on tonight's storm. If I see a tornado, I'll get the hell out of dodge.

Originally posted by joeym1991
Yea crazy I live in Aurora, Illinois and the weather here is wild, there's tornado sirens and the people in my apartment building are crowded in the stairwells.

Do you guys know each other? lol

I might know him with out never having met him lol

No, you don't know me. I'm a girl by the way.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Reply to post by leemachino

I am on NC. I noticed that on Sunday, we had three severe thunderstorms. I watched the clouds blowing in from east to west, which is very unusual as normally our storms come in from the west or southwest (from the gulf).

Definitely strange weather and more severe. And yes, many times they seem to come from nowhere.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I understand that today we "only" had 40 or so tornados in the midwest:

[link]http://news.yahoo.com/video/u-s-15749625#video=25698350[link]http://news.yahoo.com/video/u-s-15749625#video=25696205
[link]news.yahoo.com...=25695965news.yahoo.com...=25695965
I hoped I liked these correctly.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I'm in MO, and whats scaring me , is the more the storms happen the less warning we seem to be getting. My news for the past 2 months has pretty much not really given us more then 1/2 warnings. Ill be watching and they will say, well were not sure, and then 5 min later "New Breaking News" get out of your area.

My trees, windows, and tiki candles flying everyone has given me more warning then my weather station. I am more scare then usual because I live 1 1/2 hours from Joplin, and we now see that these storms are NOT playing around.

Peace, NRE.

Having read your amazing thread yesterday, I do hope you and your children stay safe. I could feel your lovely, genuine energy coming through in what you posted and in your responses which were so encouraging to others. However, this posting, I can almost hear the fear and anxiety in your voice. You live in the woods right? Remember the 'magic triangle' if the trees start falling.

Much respect, love and wonderful rainbows to you and your family.
Jane

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
This has been a particularly harsh season due to La Nina conditions but it's not unusual for a frontal band to stretch for a thousand miles or so.

Phage, I am 63 years old this month. How many times do you think I have experienced La Nina in those years? La Nina is not news to me, but the severity and size of low pressure systems has caught my attention like never before. The systems have been huge the last few years; both summer and winter.

This does not seem like business as usual to me; at least around here. I live in the area shown on the OP's maps. There is definitely a change in temperament in the world's weather these days Phage. I am not saying its Armageddon just yet, but something's up beyond normal trends.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I live in Nebraska. Monday night we had storms push through with wind speeds topping out at 70-75 mph at the leading edge. The tornado sirens in Omaha went off, not because of a tornado, but because of the high winds. T.D. Ameritrade Park, where the College World Series is being held, was evacuated and the crowd was shuffled into the Qwest Center a block away.

The line of storms stretched from South Dakota to Oklahoma - approximately 600 miles.

My wife and I stood outside in front of our apartment and watched the clouds blow up right before our eyes. You could see them getting bigger and bigger. I've lived here for almost 30 years and had never seen clouds explode that quickly.

Luckily, not too much came from it. A tornado was spotted west of Omaha, but no one was injured. There were a few a scattered power outages and a tree fell into some lady's living room.

It is tornado season. This type of weather is nothing new. However, over the past couple seasons the storms seem to have progressively gotten worse. There doesn't appear to be more storms, just stronger ones.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The weather we had the other night here in Florida was NUTS!

We get the usual afternoon shower but this was like a mini Hurricane that just flew right in.

I live on the 6th floor and have a full view all around me and the clouds looked like they were flying by and it just got darker and darker. The wind was so intense it was shaking my closet doors INSIDE my room with my sliding door shut. It was moving the chairs on the balcony and almost knocking me over.

I recorded it but it doesn't come out very well but there was this insanely creepy looking cloud that started to form. I was worried a tornado would come out of it! It started to get circular in formation and it was almost black. I have never seen a tornado form but I would assume that cloud was the start of one that didnt form and well it scared the crap out of me.

Ok I uploaded the video. It's not that great and I tried to use the editor to put a block around the cloud. It shows in the preview and says it saves it but when I play it it is nothing like I edited it but there is still a pink block around the cloud...

edit on 6/22/2011 by mblahnikluver because: add video

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The New Years Eve storm that was super cold and brought blizzards in the eastern U.S. covered TWO THIRDS of the whole United States... I had never heard of that or seen that before.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Last night, east tn there was no warning whatsoever when a line of storms formed and blew(literally) through the area. Almost all of knoxville and surrounding areas lost power, schools lost their roofs, trees down, billboards down, etc etc.

This is the second time this year there has been no warning of storms that just fire up and race off here. We weren't even under a watch last night, had less then 20% chance of even seeing rain.

Some of the storm pictures can be found here on the local news channel.

www.wbir.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
Last night, east tn there was no warning whatsoever when a line of storms formed and blew(literally) through the area. Almost all of knoxville and surrounding areas lost power, schools lost their roofs, trees down, billboards down, etc etc.

This is the second time this year there has been no warning of storms that just fire up and race off here. We weren't even under a watch last night, had less then 20% chance of even seeing rain.

Some of the storm pictures can be found here on the local news channel.

www.wbir.com...

That is how it was here the other night and one night last week. One minute it was nice and the next a storm comes flying in out of nowhere. I am use to afternoon storms here but they are not like this. The lightning and thunder was intense. A week or so ago we had little tiny hail that formed it wasn't big but it wasn't just rain.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Check out www.youtube.com... Dutchsinse has some experience in this field and I have watched him for 4 months. Its one way to explain these supercells.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Seektruthalways1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i love storms, but i haven't gotten any big ones out where i'm at yet

hopefully that will change with a hurricane or something.

I was born in the '50's, and don't remember any weather reports showing
huge cyclonic low pressure areas until about 15 years ago... not too
coincidentally the same time weather 'experiments' were admitted to
being started by the government. I submit there are no coincidences.

This is my comment to the Daily Herald (local fishwrapper) news story:

--- North Aurora, 8:45 pm: right next to Randall Rd. and I-80 ---
It was so noisy (as usual) in my factory nobody heard anything unusual,
like AN AIR RAID SIREN. The machinery all got hit with a surge and brief
brownout/snap blackout.. only lasted a fraction of a second in our place.
Of course we plebs were attempting to get the automatic machine tools
booted back up. None of the management were apparently even aware
we potentially could have had OUR ROOF LIFTED OFF or worse.
On the way home, back north up Randall Rd. to St. Charles after 11pm,
my cabbie let me know the news over two hours old, but it was nice to
know I didn't know. One of our three county spotters previously advised
a visual touchdown right at the header intersection...
nothing like a 20/20 pucker.
So much for emergency preparedness: we're expendable, Dorothy :[

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

In addition, there is a chance of severe weather from Detroit, to Washington DC, all the way down to Dallas.

I live near Dallas, we had nasty storms last night and the night before. 2-1/2" of rain the night before, and another 1-3/4" last night. Big lightning strikes and LOUD thunder. Very unusual for June.

So here's the big question, what is going on with the weather, and am I alone in thinking that storms are becoming increasingly more severe?

Oh yes, I'd say they are definitely more severe in the last couple of years. We've had unprecedented snow storms here the last two winters, this year we've had raging wildfires, insane wind and unseasonal thunderstorms. A few weeks ago I videotaped a thunderstorm here the likes of which I have never seen in my over 50 years of living in Texas. At any given moment there were half a dozen lightning strikes somewhere in the sky, the sky was like a giant flashing strobe light. Just constant bursts of lightning all over the place. It was beautiful and frightening at the same time! Hard to say if all that's going on here and around the world is an anomoly or a hint of worse things to come, only time will tell.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Like I said earlier...more fireballs and smaller debris entering the upper to middle atmosphere adds a lot more energy to the global system.

More energy = stronger storms.

The data from AMS, www.amsmeteo... rs.org/fireball2/public.php?start_date=2011-01-01&end_date=2011-12-31&state=&event_id=&submit=Find+Reports, show a fairly steep curve from 2005 to present.

Monthly averages, rounded up:

2005: 39
2006: 43
2007: 49
2008: 61
2009: 58
2010: 79
2011, so far: 101

Even if this is just a short-term blip in the long-term overall averages, it happens to be the blip we're experiencing.

So far as I can tell those numbers represent an actual increase, and are not a statistical fluke due to more cameras, watchers, etc. Btw, the 19th book I mentioned earlier discusses the very same issue.

There seems to be a clear rise and that rise, must result in more energy injected into the atmosphere.

The big question is how deep is the dense patch we're moving through?

At any rate I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the weather to calm down. I rathe expect that this is the new normal for the next few years, and likely only a foretaste of what's to come.

Link's not working right, so copy/paste

edit on 22-6-2011 by apacheman because: link problem

edit on 22-6-2011 by apacheman because: link problem

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. The weather is much more extreme the last couple seasons, and although Phage provided some very informative links on weather patterns and how they form they really don't provide any support for the particular argument,highlighting the word unusual. I wouldn't say a frontal band spanning thousands of miles is your usual occurrence. Does it happen sure. Is it a usual occurrence not so much.

In my opinion the general frequency of these occurrences has increased. Almost every storm I have encountered this year whether it be rain or snow has had an extra punch to it. In the past it happened here and there but was a lot less frequent but now it seems to carry over no matter what the season.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
america is not the only one affected..there s a big supercell right now over austria and germany!..

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

More extreme is a great way to put it. Were seeing typical storm patterns being replaced by extremes on both sides of the spectrum. Either exceptional drought or severe flooding. As a weather enthusiast it is very interesting, but life and property come before "interesting" and we all know there's been enough damage and lost lives.

To me, it looks like the extremes that we're seeing seem to be pushing the worst weather to the Midwest, but in South Carolina we've seen an increase in severe storms as well. Last night was a great example of this. I observed several storms develop into massive textbook storms that had clearly defines front and anvils, overshooting tops, grooved updraft shafts, and excellent examples of wall and shelf clouds. As they passed it was also easy to see as many as four or five cells developing on the inflow bands at the rear flank. It was quite a sight. Fortunately they passed over mainly rural locations and provided a lightning show without excessive danger to people.

Regardless of where you're at, the weather is rough, keep safe everyone!
73's

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That rolling thunder was the scariest of it all. I have no clue what a tornado sounds like but when you start feeling the ground shake, I don't know, I ran for cover and fast.
My poor dog thought I was crazy. I threw him in the closet along with myself and hoped for the best. Notice, that as well the storms are pretty much are only happening at the night time. Storm started at sun down and ended before sun rise. That storm was brutal last night. And, I don't usually get scared of storms. But, if I can't see it, than I'm not chancing it. Ok, you can say, I'm a pansy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join