It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we beginning to see supercell storms?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm sure many of you have seen The Day After Tomorrow. For those who aren't familiar with the premise, basically a supercell storm covering the entire eastern half of the United States, cripples it and causes a huge disaster. But are we starting to see so-called "supercell storms", albeit on a much smaller level?

Let me clarify that the storms we are getting now, are not nearly as bad as The Day After Tomorrow, but are progressively getting worse.

Turn on the weather channel. If you are in Chicago or know anybody who lives there, there's a tornado warning for the suburbs, just an FYI. The storm could also produce hurricane force winds. The storm causing this issue is very large and reaches from Chicago, to New York, to Florida, to Texas. Here's a picture:

In addition, there is a chance of severe weather from Detroit, to Washington DC, all the way down to Dallas. Here's a picture:

I'm in Clarksville, Maryland. Halfway across the freaking country, and i'm getting a thunderstorm from the same storm. So here's the big question, what is going on with the weather, and am I alone in thinking that storms are becoming increasingly more severe?

Edit: The Weather Channel just reported that O'Hare airport clocked a wind gust at 70mph.
edit on 21-6-2011 by mossme89 because: more info

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Damn, I'm in Aurora Il. It's bucketing and dreich, and it's gusting so bad I can barely watch a movie. I'll keep an eye on tonight's storm. If I see a tornado, I'll get the hell out of dodge.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yea crazy I live in Aurora, Illinois and the weather here is wild, there's tornado sirens and the people in my apartment building are crowded in the stairwells.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Damn, I'm in Aurora Il. It's bucketing and dreich, and it's gusting so bad I can barely watch a movie. I'll keep an eye on tonight's storm. If I see a tornado, I'll get the hell out of dodge.

Originally posted by joeym1991
Yea crazy I live in Aurora, Illinois and the weather here is wild, there's tornado sirens and the people in my apartment building are crowded in the stairwells.

Do you guys know each other? lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This has been a particularly harsh season due to La Nina conditions but it's not unusual for a frontal band to stretch for a thousand miles or so.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Great question...that does deserve discussion.

I know that storm tracking has advance by leaps and bounds. Every small, local channel has their own Dopplar/Storm Tracker/Gazillion Watts of Power 'equipment' scanning the local skies...and identifying storms; flooding; street by street almost--and that, to me, is good progress in alerting the populace to 'take cover.'

Has this been a 'weird' weather year? Without question...but I remember other odd years. What surprises me the most (and there have been threads here and all around the internets) on the sun 'location' shifting. I wonder if the two are connected...as many have noted...the sun's 'place' that we usually expect (how we are used to sun appearing on the horizon or the sun rays that shine a particular pattern in your home are slightly 'off.').

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have noticed that storm fronts are covering a much larger area
than usual. They seem stronger as well - high winds, rain
with flooding and tornados. We will be getting the storms
you have in Chicago.They have been coming our way
today, its been so humid I welcome the breeze
that comes with them but we don't need anything
drastic.
edit on 21-6-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

I might know him with out never having met him lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I was unable to get the images from yesterday, cause I'm posting from my phone. I looked at that storm when it was over Nebraska it looked almost like a hurricane . It has a counter clockwise rotation. The midwest has been getting nailed with storms.

We've been lucky here in SE Michigan so far this year. Most of the bad storms have pushed north or stayed south. Last summer it seemed we had tornado sirens going off on a weekly basis.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Two storms that produced Hail in 40 days which never happens in my area of SC. We usually get a large hail once a decade. Half the homes in the area are getting new roofs and many need vinyl siding replaced. Strange year but you do realize today is June 21 or Summer Solstace which is also Prince Williams Bday.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Buford2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
i love storms, but i haven't gotten any big ones out where i'm at yet

hopefully that will change with a hurricane or something.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

OMG! I am in Indiana I looked at the radar and said the same exact thing! I have been saying it for a while, these storms are half the size of the U.S. it is so windy here right now, thundering and lightning. Awesome show! Our rivers are at their means here, and across the world from what I am reading.

They are washing Fukishima out of the atmosphere, that's all.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage,

I guess I'll start this because typically whenever I see your posts it gets pretty heated pretty quickly. I don't want to derail this thread so I'll leave it at that. Can you provide any historical evidence that these fronts can span 1000 miles? That seems a bit much. I would understand a couple hundred miles but 1000 or more is a far stretch for me to believe without backup.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
One, and I stress one, of the things effecting the weather is a higher than usual incidence of fireballs, and by extension, smaller debris entering the atmosphere.

I've been tracking them since last year, doing some research, checking records going back about a century (for a really interesting and informative book from the 19th century check openlibrary.org: www.archive.org.../n7/mode/2 up)
in this thread:

Welcome to the shooting gallery: fireball incidence 2005:1.28/day 2011:4.94/day

The incidence today is 3.52 per day over the US. So far as I can tell the incidence has held relatively steady around the 2005 figure for quite some time. Allowing for more observers vs more light pollution, there seems a clear increase of around double the average currently. The data show a clear and steady upward slope since 2005, and the weather intensity seems to have followed as expected: a short lag time between slope of fireball incidence and increased weather effects.

If I'm correct, we have a rough time ahead.

I'm beginning to suspect the Mayan calendar was based upon a recurring dense patch of space rocks whose orbits intersect the earth's on that schedule. If you think about it for awhile such a calendar is the most viable means of offering a warning thousands of years in the future that stands any hope of succeeding.
edit on 21-6-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

I might know him with out never having met him lol

Are you some sort of sick scientific experiment gone bad. Do you have some sort of anomaly inside of your brain?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

An extremely large and violent tornado outbreak, the largest in United States history and popularly known as the 2011 Super Outbreak,[7] occurred from April 25 to 28, 2011. The outbreak affected the Southern, Midwestern, and Northeastern United States, leaving catastrophic destruction in its wake.[8] It produced destructive tornadoes in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia, and affected several other areas throughout the Southern and Eastern United States. A total of 334 tornadoes were confirmed in 21 states from Texas to New York and even isolated tornadoes in Canada. Four tornadoes on the 27th caused damage that was rated EF5 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, which is the highest ranking possible; typically there is only about one of these tornadoes in a given year. Widespread and destructive tornadoes occurred on each day of the outbreak, with April 27 being among the most prolific and destructive tornado days in United States history.[8]

wikipedia April 25–28, 2011 tornado outbreak

this tornado outbreak was apparently caused by one storm system!
something is obviously amiss!

edit on 21-6-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa and I went to see thor tonight(good movie)
It was nice before I went into the movie and when I came out, there were a massive amount of clouds and wind rollin in. Storms a brewin here

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yea just outside of chicago here. It got really bad, tornado sirens went off twice. Dont think there was any hail, but it poured and looked really really nasty out. Windy as all hell. It was fun. The lights flickered alot too. pretty fun and intense.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
This has been a particularly harsh season due to La Nina conditions but it's not unusual for a frontal band to stretch for a thousand miles or so.

Wow...I will have to agree with you on this response! It has happened many many times before, nothing new.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join