It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama and Pentagon split on Afghanistan pullout

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Is there anything that President Obama chooses not to ignore?

The POTUS and his Ivy League administration wonks once again think they know better.

Lord help us over the last two years of his Presidency. We’ll need it.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It doesn't sound like bad news but it has got to be for the other troops that are going to remain there. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised by this news. I wasn't expecting a withdrawal anytime soon. Especially not from Obama's part.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Shletten because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2011 by Shletten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
why it's not a good thing?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

We have to bring our troops home someday, please tell me your not for eternal war in that god forsaken country.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
pull out it does not matter if its today of a year from now.

as soon as we are gone you can expect another "fall of saigon"

no amount of time will change that fact.

bin laden is dead the taliban have been diminshed the mission is accomplished.

a decade of war is enough.

bring them home and stop wasting the lives of americans

and the afghanis rise and fall on their own.

bring them home and stop robbing those peoples futures and start giving them one.
edit on 21-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

By no means am I in favor of a forever war. But the region has a historical fighting season. The guys/gals left behind are going to be hit hard.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree, been there, done that. They don't want to join the 21st Century. To much inter-tribal warfare.

Once we pull out, they'll declare victory. It'll make them bolder.

I hate to say this, but eventually, it'll come down to nukes. Who'll be the winner then?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Pull them all out. It was not our responsibility. We can not be world police. We can not sustain it. Such is the fault of all great Empires. Should we follow suit? Should we make the same mistake, or should we preserve the unity of our nation? The world may ACTUALLY need the United States again one day. Should we waste anymore effort in Afghanistan?

May we forgive ourselves for the Situation that our nation has placed the Middle East in...for they have hard times to come. However, I can not advocate the United States trying to play state building anymore. It's not our place, not this time.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Soldiers make crappy cops. They aren't trained for it. I fear for those in the final phases of the announced withdrawal and the possible aftermath.

Those people have a looong memory.

My wish is that one day, the Afghanis wake up and say, "Where's NATO, Where's the Americans?"

Wishful dreaming.
edit on 21-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
He needs to get rid of his dashhound faced advisor Axelrod and hire someone with some sense. Obama is an epic fail at the presidency.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Is there anything that President Obama chooses not to ignore?

The POTUS and his Ivy League administration wonks once again think they know better.

Lord help us over the last two years of his Presidency. We’ll need it.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Good luck with your trolling for some good, old-fashioned armchair warmongering with this thread. I dont think too many here follow your line of thinking.

ETA: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I stand corrected! You found one!
edit on 21-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Any time an armchair general (politician) makes decisions better left to those that actually are down range, the end result won't be pretty.
Vietnam comes to mind.

Specifically, with Obama having um, well, NO experience with the military, this makes his decisions based soley on political reasons as to how it might benefit him.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Any time an armchair general (politician) makes decisions better left to those that actually are down range, the end result won't be pretty.
Vietnam comes to mind.

Specifically, with Obama having um, well, NO experience with the military, this makes his decisions based soley on political reasons as to how it might benefit him.

Beezer, correct me if I'm wrong, but havent you been complaining about the US presence in Afghanistan and asking why Obama doesnt pull our troops out?

ETA: nope. After reviewing some of your posts, I see you even defended Bush's entrance into Iraq. So there ya go.
edit on 21-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I have. I would like to see us gone. The drawndown should be done. But it should be done not with political expediency, but with the safety and security of the troops in mind. Most that I talk to are very frustrated with the political machinations that have influenced military operations in the region.

From a soldiers point of view, if we just left, then what did (name your troop) die for? As much as we all want to come home, we want our sacrafices to MEAN something.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I have. I would like to see us gone. The drawndown should be done. But it should be done not with political expediency, but with the safety and security of the troops in mind. Most that I talk to are very frustrated with the political machinations that have influenced military operations in the region.

From a soldiers point of view, if we just left, then what did (name your troop) die for? As much as we all want to come home, we want our sacrafices to MEAN something.

And what, in your opinion, would 'mean' something? Here we've had the 'tea party' saying we must defund these wars, some saying to do it NOW, and here you are being critical of the POTUS pulling out troops, following the will of the majority of Americans (depending on what poll you reference).

So what would make all those soldiers death's 'mean something'?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Winning the war.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I didn't realize the war has been going on for ten slong years. Perhaps, a gradual drawdown of 1/3 of troops would be viable through the end of this year or so and then spread out the remaining 2/3 of troops until 2013. Just feeling that a "step down" method is a better alternative instead of all at once, of course, for the safety of the troops and "win" to be staged as necessary.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I'm not trolling, though if you you disagree with me, you might think so. As stated before, I've been there, done that...multiple times. I just think that the POTUS should listen to the guys who have a vested interest in keeping the Troops alive and when we do pull out, that a marginally stable Country is left behind. I say marginally stable, because Afghanistan has never really ever been stable. just ignored.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
How come when Ron Paul demands an immediate pullout of Afghanistan, you people support it, but when Obama mentions a pull out, you pretend we need to stay?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Winning the war.

I see. And what does that look like? Afghani Idol?

I guess you arent a big Ron Paul fan?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join