It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12,000 North Dakotans Told To Evacuate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

12,000 North Dakotans Told To Evacuate

www.cnn.com

Authorities have ordered the evacuation of about 12,000 people from Minot, , because of expected flooding there, Cecily Fong, spokeswoman for the Department of Emergency Services, said Tuesday

The swollen Souris River flows straight through the city and is expected to overwhelm area levees, she said. Minot, located in the north-central part of the state, is the fourth-largest city in North Dakota..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.kxnet.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nebraska Nuclear Power Plants - 2.5 Inches Of Rain Overnight - 50 Miles Upstream
edit on 21-6-2011 by rstregooski because: snipet

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Although CNN is the first source, you'd think this would be a headlining story, instead of a buried mention. The midwest has been just pouring with flooding lately, and more mention of breaching levees. At least there aren't any riverside Nuclear power plants in this region.

In addition, the region has a 70% of rain overnight this evening, amounts of up to an additional 1".

Visit the related news link at www.kxnet.com... for live coverage of this event.

"The evacuation deadline for Burlington is now noon on Wednesday & the Minot deadline is now 6p Wednesday"

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by rstregooski because: content

edit on 21-6-2011 by rstregooski because: rain

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The Minot daily news online
has already changed their headline from saying
"mandatory" evactuations, to just "evacuations."

www.minotdailynews.com...

There are details about one shelter that will be open for military personnel.

David Grouchy

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is an everyday even these days really,

Recently in China, there was 5 million people displaced.

Kinda make a few thousand seem , well, not newsworthy....

Signs of the times...

Plus its only a flood and not a mag 9 earthquake.

or tsunami or volcanoe...

Ho Hum....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well floods kill more people than all those other disasters combined so it's kind of important.

However these people are building on well-known flood plains so my sympathy is a bit reserved. If they knew where they were buying property than than they knew the risks and if they didn't know well shame on them for not researching the area.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

I suppose I can't quite recall last time in under a few months we had mass flooding in more than two major rivers, spanning throughout the mid-west, all the way from Louisiana to North Dakota. Throw in massive tornado / severe storm outbreaks, concerns over two US nuclear power plants, and whatever else I've missed (tornadoes in Massachusetts). It's been quite the crazy past few months..

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I've been to Minot in the middle of winter.

Those people are strong, hard working families. THEY will decide if they're in danger. They don't just run because they were told to abandon their property. They're too smart for that. It's their LAND.

I hope they come out of it OK.up:

I was at the Minot airport for 6 hours waiting for a plane to fly out. NFL Playoff's were on..

I look out into the Airport parking lot and HALF the cars were ON with engines running.(keeps the oil smooth..hey it was plus 6 for the high)

I asked my sales guy with others watching the game within ear shot...."What? All those car engines are on..isn't someone afraid they'll get their car stolen?"

They ALL overheard my question and laughed out loud..
Almost in unison.. "WHERE YA GONNA GO? THAT"S OUR LAND!"

God Bless them.. Hope it comes out OK.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

I appreciate the effort but really?

Every year there are floods on those rivers [So it seems] Every year there are hurricanes on the Eastern seaboard or Gulf states, Tornadoes in Tornado Alley. Every year there are Mudslides, Wildfires and or Earthquakes in California. Every year there are Blizzards in....

Pick your yearly disasters

edit on 21-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

But this year they are all of "epic" proportion. Normally we get a yearly flood or a 30 year flood or even a 100 year flood, but this year they are 500 year floods described as "epic." Plus, in a normal year, one event might be a 100 year event while the others are normal. This year every single thing is a record-setting event!

Here in my part of Florida, things are dry that I have never seen dry in my 10 years here. Our average rainfall is way, way below normal. That means that as hurricane season builds, we will probably get all of that rain deficit back in just a couple of days! I am expecting an "epic" hurricane to be on par with the tornadoes, floods, droughts, and earthquakes of 2011.

And it isn't just a population difference. I lived in Joplin, MO my first 30 years of life. The population hasn't changed all that drastically, and F-5 tornadoes were mostly an urban legend. Nobody had actually been through one anywhere in the area. I volunteered to work the "Great Floods" of 1993, and they were catastrophic and amazing and record-breaking, and now less than 20 years later we get even worse ones?

Nope, 2011 is an "Epic" year in every regard. These are by no means normal occurrences. Even NOAA is calling this an "epic" year for weather phenomenon and record setting storms/floods/etc.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What I was referring to are the known yearly events. There will be hurricanes this year and next. There will be tornadoes, blizzards and flooding this year and next etc etc etc. Which, every year for me going back several decades on both East and West coasts have always been described as "Epic".

Having said that...
Are you among hose who deny "Climate change or Global Warming" because whether or not some believe it things are changing. Whether it be an Earthly natural cycle or a man assisted event the Earth's climate is changing. I've noticed a heavier and longer rainy spring here where I live.
edit on 21-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think we (man and science) are pretty arrogant and condescending to think we can describe the Earth's cycles with a couple of hundred years of data (or even a couple of thousand years of data).

I think we are in a climate change, but I don't think there is any conclusive evidence to support that it is man-made. I am all for the environmental movement, and so the paranoia has at least resulted in positive changes, but I have serious doubts that anything we do or don't do will have any lasting impact on the natural processes of the earth. We might kill ourselves off, but we won't significantly impact the earth.

As for the use of "epic." It may have been used in descriptions of events before, but this year they are using it to mean "greater than a 500 year event." Therefore, this year we have already had two record-breaking tornado outbreaks, a record setting drought over a large part of the southern mid-west, multiple record-setting floods down the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio rivers. All of those events are greater than 500 year events, and they have happened within a couple of months of one another. Then you add in a couple of the most powerful Earthquakes ever on record, and the budding droughts in the SouthEast, and you have some serious consequences blooming.

Can't wait to see what Hurricane Season has in store for us? Will it be another 2005 with back to back to back, or will it be single monster like Andrew except worse? Will it be wind? or Rain? or Wave action?

Lets not forget the record-breaking wild-fire in Arizona and the 400+ fires currently burning in Florida.

I agree that all of these things are somewhat normal when taken in singular doses, but it is unheard of to have 500 year events occurring simultaneously all over the country.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

All good points.
Now, for example California is over due for the BIG ONE. I can already see the conspiracy threads on that one coming. Even though it has been talked and warned about for decades. Back to the topic. Those rivers had flooded long before man moved into the area and if they are still there after we are all gone they will still flood. Modern man has moved into areas that we shouldn't. Look at Los Angeles, San Francisco even Mexico city. Earthquake central. Those are mega disasters just waiting to happen with potential loss of life in the Millions.

When I lived on the East coast for 18 years before moving to the Pacific Northwest. I drove down the Coast and saw Multi-Million dollar mansions just sitting there empty 9 months out of the year. Also known as Prime Hurricane real-estate.

Seems to me that some have too much money and invest in them not for a yearly vacation destination but rather for the insurance money when they get clobbered.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yeah, I live in the Midwest and it's not looking pretty. Not a day goes by without weather.com noting that there is some sort of flood warning nearby. I'm almost fifty years old and have lived pretty much my entire life in this area and I've never seen anything like this in all that time.

What's scarier is what lies in wait for the good folks downstream in the Iowa/Missouri/Kansas/Nebraska areas. What we see here today is going to be double for those poor folks all too soon.

Honestly do not believe we've seen the last of this.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
2011 has thus far proven to have been a year copious with natural disasters. Tornadoes sweeping across the mid-west, flooding of the Mississippi, an extremely cold snow-filled winter (mainly experienced in the mid-west), etc. The flooding of the Mississippi is maybe even as worse as the flooding that occurred in 1927. The storms and tornadoes have already amounted to costing more and being more detrimental than the ones that transpired in 1925. With the mid-west's luck this year so far, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the New Madrid Fault line causes a devastating earthquake. I really hope that that doesn't happen!
edit on 21-6-2011 by aureusleo8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

I lived there for two years. It is very cold and winters are tough, but the people are very hardy and are generally a great bunch of people. Yeah, I used to leave my car running when I went grocery shopping and it tripped me out the first time I saw people do that too, but no one bothers your car. It's actually quite safe there.

And for Kro32...unless you are military, people don't really move TO Minot. The population is made up mostly of people that were born and raised there...so, no they didn't research the area that they were moving to...because they were already there. For those people, the weather and the flooding is just a part of life. That's one thing that people don't seem to consider when speaking about people that are displaced by things like this. I am from the Mississippi Delta and my hometown was one of the cities affected by the recent floods. Growing up the area around my house would flood when we had heavy rains...and we coped. People all over the world do that and it is unfair to say "you should have researched first" because many times this is all that they know.

Edit to add: Minot isn't a wealthy city. Most people there are just regular folk that work hard for what they need and live a modest life. Unfortunately, your options are fewer when you have less money to spend on where to live.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Abrihetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Stop living in the flood plains then...........

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
Almost in unison.. "WHERE YA GONNA GO? THAT"S OUR LAND!"

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I think that part is a bit exaggerated. We ALL leave our cars running up here in the winter if we're not going to be inside long because it doesn't take long for a car to cool back down when you have -30 temps with -60 wind chills. That being said, it does take a certain type to deal with such cold temps but there are people the world over that deal with worse with less, so we're not that special.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Stop living in the flood plains then...........

Stop sitting on your shoulders...........

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I spent one winter at Minot. Snow, cold, wind, wolves.

And the best damned bunch of people I've had the honor to know.

They're so tough there, I'm surprized they didn't just kick the snot out of the flood and send it packin'!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Its not to fun here right now. Just saying, but we as North Dakotans all are working together to do the best we can to save what we can of our town.

<<   2 >>

join