It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese supercomputer 'K' is world's fastest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is unreal, how fast can these computers get?
they must be able to redesign themselves and eventually become self aware, yes?
Scary stuff if you ask me...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Why is it scary? Is it because the movies and media have taught you to fear it through movies like the terminator?
Fear not new tech but evolve with it. Evolve ethics with it. It will happen with or without you wanting it to. Change is inevitable.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

IMO the stuff we have in public domain (which this is as it has appeared in MSM) is well behind what is actually out there and working.

So this, whilst impressive versus my laptop is indeed behind the 'black' computers out there

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Do electrons move faster in this supercomputer?

I think that sensationalist-media is re-labelling scale with speed.

Sure it will run a program fast but it won't parse data any faster than any other computer, it will just be able to parse a lot more of it at once.

*troll

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just insane, I would love to use "one of these" for rendering/3d animation; but I expect to have access to a comparable system as a desktop in maybe 20 years? Perhaps less depending on what types of jumps we make with computer technology. Nonetheless, that setup is incredible; but 10 million per year just to run?
Wonder what they'll be using such a monster for.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Making new computers is all fine and dandy, but they've got bigger things they need to be worried about.

The fastest super computer in the world is great, but I doubt it's worth much if it can't save people from the threat posed by the unstemmed flow radioactive material on their island.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
most likely it's going to be used to benefit mankind, like cracking codes for the u.s. military, or like the article mentioned, predicting when coca-cola is going to tank.

or install windows 7 on it and make it completely worthless.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I rather have a computer so fast and good, that it can make the most realistic 3D video game/movie ever made.

I just want to see how realistic we can actually make something.

That would be a computer worth something to movie makers they spend millions on making movies and if they had that....the worlds whatever you want it then and i'd like to see something so real its impossible to tell if its a real person or cg.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The next big step for computing is quantum computers as they are capable of being in more than one state at the same time thus phenominally increasing the speed of encoding/decoding. One the first quantum computer is engineered to a useful standard then every type of crypto will instantly be rendered useless as this computer will be able to crack the code in seconds.

Computing is not to be feared, it is the people using them that should be feared.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
You have access to 'super computer' technology as it is,
Use a GPU powered computer. It is unfortunate that you have been led in the way of CPU computing, you would be much more advanced if you had not adopted that as main stream

join