It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 19
16
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
What if I, or anyone else paid the cost of that sign.

Would the whining stop? I would hope so, but I doubt it. You'd have your people driving by every day glaring at it.

"Dammit. I have to drive by that street sign every day and it says HEAVEN on it! My day is ruined now! My Starbucks doesn't even taste good after seeing that sign!"



It is not the sign itself - - it is the infringement of rights and tax payer money.

If this was reversed and the government paid to have a sign that said: "Atheist Honor Ave" - - - the religious would be all over it.

It makes headline because it is Atheists speaking up. If it were the other way around - - this would be a different discussion. It would still be the Atheists in the wrong though. But - it would be wrong because Atheists were pushing their agenda with tax payer money.

If you allow private funded signs - - you could end up with a KKK Avenue. You would not be able to discriminate or deny any group the right to have their sign.


edit on 24-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Darkrunner
What if I, or anyone else paid the cost of that sign.

Would the whining stop? I would hope so, but I doubt it. You'd have your people driving by every day glaring at it.

"Dammit. I have to drive by that street sign every day and it says HEAVEN on it! My day is ruined now! My Starbucks doesn't even taste good after seeing that sign!"



It is not the sign itself - - it is the infringement of rights and tax payer money.

If this was reversed and the government paid to have a sign that said: "Atheist Honor Ave" - - - the religious would be all over it.

It makes headline because it is Atheists speaking up. If it were the other way around - - this would be a different discussion. It would still be the Atheists in the wrong though. But - it would be wrong because Atheists were pushing their agenda with tax payer money.

If you allow private funded signs - - you could end up with a KKK Avenue. You would not be able to discriminate or deny any group the right to have their sign.


edit on 24-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Atheist dont believe in a God , but the people that do which is the Majority of the world is what matters. You get the Majority , you matter. You the minority , you dont.

Dont see what the problem is.

If the Muslims put up a sign to honor them , ok whatever , as long as they didnt say Allah Ackbar which means God is Greatest.

If atheist put a sign that promotes Atheism and trying to honor those in 9/11 .... then its actually disrespectful , you dont believe in a God ... but yet you want to Promote Atheism by loved ones that die.


However ... the one's that Believe in a God and which the ones that died best of luck and peace. Then i dont see a problem with it.

Atheist cant complain , if you dont believe in a God then thats you , what point do you have to try and spread atheism except to spread your FAITH and BELIEF , however Christians are trying to show blessings and peace , and if the Muslims want a Sign up that says Allah bless them , then thats fine. If you have a God and wish to wish us luck , then put up a sign.

However , Atheist you dont have a say , your a Minority and you dont believe in a God , so its not your problem.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Atheist dont believe in a God , but the people that do which is the Majority of the world is what matters. You get the Majority , you matter. You the minority , you dont.
a problem with it.


America is a Republic not a Democracy. Majority does not rule.

America is also a secular government.

Yes - Atheists have Equal Rights to Religious.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
They do , but it just so happens the Majority wins , and not the Minority.

Thank you for also pointing out that Atheism is a FAITH and BELEIF / HOPE that God doesnt exist you understand why we believe in God more than you think.

Your belief in there not being a God , is our Belief in there is being a God.

Which about 70 percent of America considers it self Christian and 92% believes in a God.

Your in a Minority which puts you on the low end of the totem no matter how you look at it.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
They do , but it just so happens the Majority wins , and not the Minority.

Thank you for also pointing out that Atheism is a FAITH and BELEIF / HOPE that God doesnt exist you understand why we believe in God more than you think.

Your belief in there not being a God , is our Belief in there is being a God.

Which about 70 percent of America considers it self Christian and 92% believes in a God.

Your in a Minority which puts you on the low end of the totem no matter how you look at it.


America is a Secular Republic.

Atheism is Lack of a belief - - not a belief.

I was raised Christian.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I dont care what kind of Republic we are , the Majority wins the vote and the approval ..... because their the Majority.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
I dont care what kind of Republic we are , the Majority wins the vote and the approval ..... because their the Majority.


That would be a Democracy - - of which we are not.

We are a Republic.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Im pretty sure i would know how the Judicial Law and Voting systems works as not only is it common sense .... its straight forward for a reason.

As i am Majoring in Military Studies and Diplomacy with a Secondary in Covert Operations.

The Majority of votes / approval wins the vote... obviously , however i am going to drop this conversation now as i can you are following the term of "Trolling".

Enjoy ..... your life or whatever it is to you

We are also a DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC. Not just a Republic.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
This is such a non-issue it's not even funny.

I'm agnostic/athiest and find the actions of that group to be tiresome. It's a street named heaven. It's not like they're trying to build a giant church right in the center of some high-school gym.

Besides, subscribers to the christian faith are diminishing rapidly.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Darkrunner
What if I, or anyone else paid the cost of that sign.

Would the whining stop? I would hope so, but I doubt it. You'd have your people driving by every day glaring at it.

"Dammit. I have to drive by that street sign every day and it says HEAVEN on it! My day is ruined now! My Starbucks doesn't even taste good after seeing that sign!"



It is not the sign itself - - it is the infringement of rights and tax payer money.

If this was reversed and the government paid to have a sign that said: "Atheist Honor Ave" - - - the religious would be all over it.

It makes headline because it is Atheists speaking up. If it were the other way around - - this would be a different discussion. It would still be the Atheists in the wrong though. But - it would be wrong because Atheists were pushing their agenda with tax payer money.

If you allow private funded signs - - you could end up with a KKK Avenue. You would not be able to discriminate or deny any group the right to have their sign.


edit on 24-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)


Atheist Honor Avenue wouldn't bother me a bit. I have more important things to worry about.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner

Atheist Honor Avenue wouldn't bother me a bit. I have more important things to worry about.


Like taking the time to post about it on ATS?

The sign "Seven In Heaven" doesn't bother me. It is not about the sign - - except it is illegal.

So you don't think if the sign said "Atheist Honor Avenue" - - - the religious wouldn't be protesting?



edit on 25-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Atheist dont believe in a God , but the people that do which is the Majority of the world is what matters. You get the Majority , you matter. You the minority , you dont.


Sorry, do we live in the same United States?

One of the bigger ideas of our nation is "Majority rule, minority rights." Generally, we decide things as a majority. However, if this majority is used to oppress a minority, then it is wrong and not what our country should stand for.

14th Amendment: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."

Thomas Jefferson: "All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

If you don't think that minorities matter, then you just don't get what this country is about.
edit on 25-6-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Ancient Champion because: added more words


Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?



And if the men who the sign is dedicated to are Christians? Should we remove religious imagery off of graves as well?



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scales

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Ancient Champion because: added more words


Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?



And if the men who the sign is dedicated to are Christians? Should we remove religious imagery off of graves as well?


Are they publicly funded graves? Some how I doubt it.

This is not about personal feelings. It is about what is legal. It is not legal for government to fund a religious sign.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Arlington National Cemetery is.

Oh boy



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Ancient Champion because: added more words


Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?




How is discriminating fighting to save our way, we are a nation under God and most are laws were set up on biblical law . But the courts have taken the separation of church and state and perverted the original meaning to fit the views of a few.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn
 


Arlington doesn't just recognize one religion though, as a whole the gravestones can symbolize a lot of different religions. Instead of recognizing an individual faith, it recognizes the faith of individuals. This does not constitute an endorsement.


Originally posted by Godsontoo
we are a nation under God and most are laws were set up on biblical law


Treaty of Tripoli: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."
edit on 25-6-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

Originally posted by milkyway12
Atheist dont believe in a God , but the people that do which is the Majority of the world is what matters. You get the Majority , you matter. You the minority , you dont.


Sorry, do we live in the same United States?

One of the bigger ideas of our nation is "Majority rule, minority rights." Generally, we decide things as a majority. However, if this majority is used to oppress a minority, then it is wrong and not what our country should stand for.

14th Amendment: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."

Thomas Jefferson: "All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

If you don't think that minorities matter, then you just don't get what this country is about.
edit on 25-6-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)







You do not understand what you read evidently , your atheistic view point oppresses the majority when such trivial battles are fought over a sign which implicates no God but an idealic place. Heaven being struck from a sign because of one looser is not what our founding fathers envisioned when drawing up the constitution . The separation was to make sure institutes like Rome's Catholic church could never order the whole sale slaughter of people to force religion on them. You atheists have taken it to a new level by attacking every aspect of religion wherever and whenever you can. Quite frankly it is so un-American it is communist , you can't say god in school but you teach small children about gay sex and so called gay history. It is freaks like this which have brought America to it's final death throws.




top topics



 
16
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

log in

join