It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 17
16
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kanetaker
I am a atheist but I guess I'm one of the tolerant ones because I have no problem with a sign honoring the dead even if it's a place I don't believe in these people do.


Yeah - me too - but Atheists have every right to keep the government in "check" in supporting/paying for anything of a religious nature.

What if the sign said: "In Honor of Atheists"?

You KNOW the religious would be protesting.

As I see it - - its not really about protesting - - its about who is protesting.




posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Do atheists attack religion more than religious people attack atheism ? I am not a religious person. My question is what motivates people to continually bash each others beliefs. Atheism is a belief system as well. I have yet to see any actual thread that has created intelligent debate about belief "systems". No one seems to have any humility nowadays. I perceive this as more or less "my way or the highway!". I just think debating about what belief system someone subscribes to is pointless.

peace, Nova



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Took me a while to find this.

www.youtube.com...


Why one Pennsylvania town decided to ditch the holiday instead of allowing the atheists to celebrate in there town


Just to put this in perspective. They (Atheists) wanted to out up a solstice themed sign celebrating Atheists war veterans, constant controversy. Fox basically made it seem like the Atheists fault too.

The decision, the correct one, was not to have any religious displays, more equal than allowing the christian ones and no others, and more feasible than representing them all equally. 'Lets leave out any religious reference, it's the only way we can actually be equal'.

This also shows what many Christians thought of something atheistic near their Christmas displays, similar to how some atheists are complaining now.



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kanetaker
I am a atheist but I guess I'm one of the tolerant ones because I have no problem with a sign honoring the dead even if it's a place I don't believe in these people do.


There are plenty of tolerant atheists, this is just one small group of NYC atheists protesting this sign. Of course some Christians are going to try and use this to paint all atheists in a bad light, but it's nothing more than bigotry.



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion
 


A Fox News article that exploits a few idiots to demonize its opposition through guilt by association. I don't believe it! This is completely out of character for Fox News.
edit on 22-6-2011 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm atheist and I really don't care what a group of people call a road sign because it doesn't hurt me any. I am glad that they are showing respect to people that lost their lives in such a tragic way in anyway way that makes themselves feel better.

I may not believe in God but it doesn't make me bash other people for something that may get them through their day.



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace
 


Good for you Thrace and to all the other atheists that have said along the same lines in the thread.


The majority dont like pushy loud militant people what ever their belief.



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
reply to post by Thrace
 


Good for you Thrace and to all the other atheists that have said along the same lines in the thread.


The majority dont like pushy loud militant people what ever their belief.


I can't stand pushy Atheists... it's no better than Westboro Baptist Church pushing their rubbish on others.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Thrace because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
youd think atheist would be less uptight.



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the people protesting the street sign. I don't think that it is the government's place to be acknowledging christian or any other religious beliefs. However, doing so does not violate the first amendment in any way that I can see.

First amendment:



Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


The first amendment prohibits the establishment of an official United States religion. What it doesn't prohibit is mentioning religious beliefs on our street signs, or money, or in the pledge of allegiance. Again...I don't like it one bit, but it isn't violating the constitution.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave0davidson


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


The first amendment prohibits the establishment of an official United States religion. What it doesn't prohibit is mentioning religious beliefs on our street signs, or money, or in the pledge of allegiance. Again...I don't like it one bit, but it isn't violating the constitution.


While it's not putting together an establishment of religion, it's supporting certain doctrines. Was it James Madison who wrote in his notes that that meant for government to not do anything to support any specific beliefs in any way? Or was it someone else, I'll need to look that up. Saying there is a god, or a Heaven, even when not being specific, even not saying it as fact just implying it, is a big step over the separation of church and state. Similar to setting aside time prayers in school's aren't allowed even if you don't specify a certain religion in doing so.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
So confused...

Isn't the point of Atheism that they believe none of this? So it may as well be called... Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Road, what does it matter?



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx
 


Separation of Church and state is not a constitutional tenet. It's an arbitrary interpretation that does not exist in Constitutional jurisprudence. The 1st Amendment was never written so that it can bar all spiritual expression from every square inch of public property.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneEyedMan
So confused...

Isn't the point of Atheism that they believe none of this? So it may as well be called... Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Road, what does it matter?


It matters if the religious control government.

It matters if taxpayer money is used to promote a religious belief.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx
 


Separation of Church and state is not a constitutional tenet. It's an arbitrary interpretation that does not exist in Constitutional jurisprudence. The 1st Amendment was never written so that it can bar all spiritual expression from every square inch of public property.


I'd say this issue has evolved by legal cases won.

It is not just about the 1st Amendment. Progression happens.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Progression may happen, but that doesn't mean it is appropriate. To take a judiciary interpretation outside the applicable language of the 1st amendment is not legitimate. In many cases these kinds of "legislate from the bench" issues hit a legal wall. I believe this one will eventually as well.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion
 


your profile picture is my desktop backround .......... that's weird....



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
im an atheist , but these atheists clearly have wayyyyy to much sand in their collective vaginas !
who gives a crap if someone names a street something religious
street names are made up anyway !



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.”

bronSTEIN. athiest??? hahahahahaha.
therein lies the problem.
'stein' athiest? hahahahahaha



new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

log in

join