It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current Media Distrubution Must Change or Die!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The major media conglomerates seem to be fighting the future. They are years behind the way many people choose to access their media. Lets start with the TV industry.

There is tonnes of crap out there, but there are also many great programs being produced. If I want "legal" access to all the programs I want to watch, I am forced to get 100's of channels that I despise, and pay 100's of dollars even though I only watch perhaps 20-40 dollars worth of programing. My only option is to use torrents, as I simply can't afford to prop up the programing I don't like (although I will buy my favorite programs on DVD/Blu-ray if I find them for a good price). Unfortunately by doing so, the companies don't get advertizing dollars they need to continue to produce quality programing, and we end up with more cheep "reality" BS. They could rectify this issue if they began offering 720p programing for free downloading with rotating and regional advertizing.

I for one, would use a service like this over the illegal torrents. I want to support quality programing but I can't afford to shell out what little money I have to pay for 1000's of programs that I will never watch. If the media companies started distributing like this over cable services, they would get real world figures for the people that actually watch the program and can show the advertisers the value of the programs.

The current practice of spending millions sueing people could end.

I'm not sure how this could be applied to film, but for TV, it would be a major windfall.

Look at the success of the Steam Videogame service. They have games for great prices, with fantastic specials. You don't have to keep the product on your computer if your not using it. If you have a comp failure, you don't have to worry about loosing the game, just download it again. No worries about the disk getting scrached, because you have to take it out everytime you want to play. Safe DRM without compromising your computer. This is perhaps a way that film and music distrobution could succeed far beyond what it is now.

I buy off itunes, but there is no protection. My computer fails and all the money I spent on music is gone. It's like loosing everything in a housefire, but there is no insurance to protect or replace the data. iTunes already keeps track of what you buy but they won't let you download it after you have gotten it once. They say "back it up on disk" but that defetes the purpose of having a digital life (I hate having to move and store all my music and DVD's in physical form, as I like to live in a small space with as little clutter as possable).

To the people that say that downloading is the same as shoplifting, you couldn't be further from the truth. There is a big difference between loosing money (manufacturing a physical product that you don't recoup funds for due to physical theft) and not making money (no net gain or loss of intangible product quite often by a person that would never heard of it or purchased it in the first place).

Now to the financial side of it. Back in the late ninetys when I was in high-school working at minimum wage, if I were to go to the movies, I would have to work approx. 1hour to afford 1 movie ticket. Now in 2011, if I were working at minimum wage, I would have to work approx. 2hours to get 1 movie ticket, which means I would go to far less movies than I did then.

The average cost for a digital copy of an album is 9.99 on iTunes. The average cost of an album at the record store is around 15.00 dollars. So I take the cheaper option. The problem is that while the record store copy needs to be manufactured, shipped, stocked, and sold, the digital copy only needs to be recoreded and released. The profit would still be astronomical if the albums were sold at 5bucks a piece, and answer honestly, when you find a great deal, don't you tend to spend more than you planed.

What I'm trying to say is that by using a fair and affordable distribution method, like the ones I've described above the media companies will make larger profits, and the consumers will not feel ripped off. The quality of entertainment will go up and it will be better for everyone.

Tell me what you think of my idea's. Weather you think I am right or wrong lets keep the flamin' and trollin' to a minimum.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Chindogu because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2011 by Chindogu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You would think that as many great ideas like this that have been expressed in the past few years, the RIAA and MPAA et al. would have heard about it by now. Why don't they do something like this? I don't know. You'd think with all those sharp people they hire to punish us, sue us to poverty, and write wrong and restrictive laws, they could hire just one or two to come up with workable solutions. It's one of those great mysteries of life. If you and I and thousands of other people can think of better distribution and business models, why can't they? It's win/win/win, but they just somehow can't seem to grasp it.

But keep tilting at windmills; that's my philosophy. Who knows? Maybe they'll eventually hear us....

new topics

join