It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorini (Thera) Volcano in Greece might be waking up..!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

Originally posted by angelchemuel
I saw that on EDIS and checked out the map.
My worry is that there is a major fault line that goes from Turkey down through the Med, via the Cannaries and ends up joining the mid Atlantic Rift. Given what has and is still going on in Turkey and the Cannaries, anything in between in my book is affected.
I am just a little sad that our EQ experts have yet to visit this thread to throw their expert view over what is happening here as they have access to far more detailed seismic reports and the where with all to give their expert opinion on their interpretations on the seismograms.
Rainbows
Jane

U2U some of them and get them working on it

I would, but they seem to be very busy with other EQ's on that thread and their own personnal threads at the moment, but I guess it wouldn't help to ask!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Latest report today EDIS
2011-11-26 19:08:34 2.4 10 Km

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Now this one is curious...look how the depth has dropped

2011-11-30 08:06:42 2.6 110 Km

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
depth dropped again today

2011-12-06 00:51:43 2.7 155 Km
EDIS

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
And today....almost at the surface

2011-12-07 09:42:16 2.2 5 Km
EDIS

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
two today

EQ-20111208-221856-GR
Magnitude: 2.6
Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 08 December, 2011 at 04:12:30 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, December 08, 2011 at 04:12 at night at epicenter
Depth: 4 km (2.49 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 4.30 km (2.67 miles) S of Thira,
Source: EMSC

2011-12-08 04:12:30 2.6 4 Km

I think this is one eq just the depth that varies
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Daily now

2011-12-09 03:28:40 2.7 10 Km
EDIS

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
2011-12-09 03:28:40 2.7 10 Km
EDIS

This is getting boooooring!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Hello everyone!

There has been an update on the volcano's activity, which has increased significantly, although still nobody knows if or when it might erupt. Here's the link (in greek) :

www.enikos.gr...:_Foyskwnei_to_hfaisteio.html

And here's the rough google translation:

The Vault of magma (molten rock in) beneath the volcano has expanded significantly, by about 10 to 20 million cubic meters between January 2011 and April 2012, according to British scientists of the universities of Oxford and Bristol, in collaboration with Greek colleagues from the University of Athens (Department of Geology & Paleontology) and the National Technical University (Higher Geodesy Laboratory).

Scientists estimate that the "inflation" of the magma has a volume of up to 15 times larger than the Olympic Stadium in London. Adding this magma in terms of volume, is the most important that has taken place since 1955, shortly after the last eruption.
Researchers led by Professor David Pyle Volcanology Volcanology and Michelle Parks of Oxford Department of Geosciences, and Juliet Biggs of Bristol Department of Geosciences, made after publication in the journal "Nature Geoscience", estimated that the rise of magma led in elevation of the surface of the island 8 to 14 cm at the same time. The calculations were spot on Santorini made with the help of satellite radar images provided by the European Space Agency (ESA) and the German Space Agency (DLR), and GPS measurements from the ground.

Although new data shed more light on the function of the volcano (which was around 1600 BC, scored one of the largest eruptions in history, possibly leading to the destruction of the Minoan civilization), according to the researchers, it shed light on the major question: when the volcano will erupt again.

The "reviving" the volcano was recorded at the beginning of 2011, small earthquakes, which attracted the attention of Greek and foreign scientists, and for about 25 years there was relative quiet in the caldera. The micro-earthquakes were accompanied by some other circumstantial evidence, such as changes in the color of water in some places and greenhouse gas with a characteristic odor.

The researchers estimate that the amount of molten rock (magma) that has accumulated beneath the volcano last year, equivalent to about 10 to 20 years of development of the volcano. They note, however, that this does not mean that any imminent eruption, however, such as stress, seismic activity has clearly moderated in recent months.

The researchers noted that the volcano has two different kinds of eruptions over time: first small explosions that occur relatively frequently and emit lava, and big explosions rarely occur at about 10,000 to 30,000 years. Both types explosions considered that "hatch" a shallow chamber magma which is fed continuously by small quantities of molten rock, which rise from the bottom up.

However, as the new study, geological (mineralogical) studies show that at least 15% of the material ejected during the Minoan eruption, reached the magma chamber less than 100 years before the explosion, ie not gradually over time but in much shorter time.

According to the researchers, whether the volcano is the most common (slow) phase accumulation of lava, or in rarer (and fast) explosive phase, the shallow magma chamber fed occasionally with rapid magma flow quantities. The duration of such periods of magma supply is short in relation to the intermediate resting periods, while when these occur occasional feedbacks, ie their timing, dependent on the ground dynamics of even deeper portion of the magma below the Santorini.

During the most recent eruptions of the volcano, have risen to the surface are usually two different types of magma, mainly dacite (lava rich in silica) and secondarily andesite (hottest lava with less silica). Previous studies have shown that the bursts appear to be triggered by rising to the surface of andesite, who "stir up" the most abundant dacite, thus triggering the explosion, probably within a few weeks.

But since, according to the British geoscientists (whose research contributed Greek researchers Legal Friday, Xanthos Papanikolaou, Dimitris paradise, Vangelis and Costas Raptakis sugar), recent volcanic activity has gone on much longer, it is assumed that the molten rock Now that accumulate beneath Santorini is dacites and andesites not.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

I read about it this morning.
I'm not a scientist,but this doesn't sound good.The last thing we need in Greece is a volcanic erruption.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
reply to post by Imogene72

I read about it this morning.
I'm not a scientist,but this doesn't sound good.The last thing we need in Greece is a volcanic erruption.

Equally though, this doesn't sound bad either. This is simply more and better information about the workings of Santorini. Nothing in this report indicates an imminent eruption. The more recent eruptions at Santorini have been at the off shore fissures and have been nowhere near the scale of the Thera eruption (Minoan).

Bit of historical info at this link here..... Link

I can't find the best link i stumbled upon last year, will keep searching.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't know why, but Santorini has always been a volcano thats worried me a bit. Game changers like Yellowstone are constantly getting attention, but until recently you didn't hear much about Yellowstone's little Greek sister. The fact that it could erupt at a vi7 makes it even more troubling. The eruption believed to cause the human genetic bottleneck was a vi7... Add in all of the problems Greece has had lately and even a smaller eruption could be a recipe for a localized disaster. Right now we also have Fuji making some noise too. I'm hoping they're just being a little restless in their sleep and will be nice and peaceful again soon.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Hello everyone! Here is another source from National Geographic:
news.nationalgeographic.com... acebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20120914news-santorini&utm_campaign=Content

Now, what mostly worries me is that this particular volcano has a history of exploding really fast, fast for geological terms at least. Oh, and the other thing: people say that the island has increased on height about 14 cm this past year..

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join