It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France takes over NATO's Afghanistan force

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

Originally posted by Janus
As for implying that the high casualty figures dont mean that much, well the reason they are so high is because the Germans made the same mistake as you and attacked french lines time after time, to blead them white so the saying goes, and the French repulsed them time after time. Doesent sound like they couldnt fight to me.

the french did fight badly, their tactics were bad, germany defeated them in only a few months, their weapons were outdated too, all this resulted in the high casualties so it means very much, the resistance only survived because the brittish and the oss(later the cia), if we hadnt snuck weapons in or communication devices the resistance wouldve been wiped out.

may have been brave but not skilled militarily.

Namehere that post was refering to WW1 not WW2.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
just realised that, oops

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
just realised that, oops

Hehe thats alright mate

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Abandon NATO. Create your own unneeded nuclear force. Remove foreign word because then offend your sensibilities. Diem Biem Phu.

They are truly "OLD Europe." Troops in Chad while genocide is happening in next door Sudan. Keep the colony and forget the world. Heck the U.S. had to go to the Ivory coast because the locals HATED what the French let happen.

Lets get down to it. The French are like a "Lady of Ill Repute" well past her prime and trying to hold on to her used up looks.

France is still member of Nato, not of its military integrated command. So they are not automaticaly draged in a war. Just in case some Nato warmonger wanted to start ww3 in Europe.
Their nuclear force is not uneeded, since US didn't propose to protect France during the Suez Crisis, when France, UK and Israel started their own premptive war against Egypt. So as someone said, "we can't make sure than US will always protect us". In that case, US nuclear umbrella, based on credibility, is worthless.
It just cancel dependance from Washington, and may even serve as a detterance against any super rogue state (might be usefull, who know).

Diem Biem Phu, what the big matter ? You lost the war too.

I don't see much US troops in Sudan neither. In Ivory Coast, they just made a quick take off after taking americans citizen freed by the french special forces.

Independance, sovereignty ? How Old fashion and unamerican. *shocking*.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by Gamelin]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.
(...)

For a country of 200 years, USA got some nice defeats as well :
- war of 1812
US declare war to Great Britain who dare to have colonies in North America. Washington is burned.

- world war I
Minor role. While winning only the Belleau Wood battle (Herbert Plumer won Messines, Haig the third battle of Ypres, Foch the second battle of the Marne, etc...) and having not tanks (key tool to break germans trenches), americans say their help was decisive.

- war of Korea.
Draw. War last 3 years for nothing. North Korea is still here, but with nukes now.

- War in Vietnam
Lost. US suffer an humiliating retreat when Saigon fail, SEATO collapse, the country is still communist.

Stay tuned for the next one.

BTW, ask a british who won the one hundred years war.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

All this bashing of somebody who is not here to defend themselves does not become the image of this website or it's individual members. DENY IGNORANCE

Where's Nans? She's usually here to help defend France....when she's not attacking it's government, hehe...

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Gamelin, saying "you lost too" is not a defense of France.

If you read the WHOLE thread you would see that we are all saying that French troops are world class, there leadership is failing.

Sudan is NOT a threat to the U.S. but the U.S. is taking a leadership role in ending the conflict. France has troops 100 miles away and is ignoring the carnage.

France is a second tier country that strives for past glory that will never come. That is not a foreign policy.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow,

I started this thread to inform ATS members of the rotation of command in Afghanistan.

Not turn this into a free for all on France.

Sometimes information gets buried or lost in the news and I just wanted our members to be current on world news and the only information I have seen or heard in regards to this story has been this post.

I understand the outright displeasure for France at this point in time, and I agree with the mood of ATS members.

France stabbed a knife in the back of the U.S. over the Iraq war, yes Iraq was a cash cow for France and a cheap source of oil for it country, and now that's gone.

The truths are starting to surface about the oil for food program and the state run contracts sponsored by this country that in the end cost the lives of American service men and women, not to mention the countless Iraqi civilians lives lost.

The government of France has many questions to answer to the Iraqi and American people in the near future, and I wonder who will come to aid the French this time.

john

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Wow,

I started this thread to inform ATS members of the rotation of command in Afghanistan.

Not turn this into a free for all on France.

Sometimes information gets buried or lost in the news and I just wanted our members to be current on world news and the only information I have seen or heard in regards to this story has been this post.

I understand the outright displeasure for France at this point in time, and I agree with the mood of ATS members.

France stabbed a knife in the back of the U.S. over the Iraq war, yes Iraq was a cash cow for France and a cheap source of oil for it country, and now that's gone.

The truths are starting to surface about the oil for food program and the state run contracts sponsored by this country that in the end cost the lives of American service men and women, not to mention the countless Iraqi civilians lives lost.

The government of France has many questions to answer to the Iraqi and American people in the near future, and I wonder who will come to aid the French this time.

john

The U.S. had it's role in the Oil-for-Food scandal. Check out www.abovetopsecret.com...

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Gamelin, saying "you lost too" is not a defense of France.

If you read the WHOLE thread you would see that we are all saying that French troops are world class, there leadership is failing.

Sudan is NOT a threat to the U.S. but the U.S. is taking a leadership role in ending the conflict. France has troops 100 miles away and is ignoring the carnage.

France is a second tier country that strives for past glory that will never come. That is not a foreign policy.

The fact than France, USA and China lost against Vietnam make the attack gratuitous. Italy lost against Napoleon ? Well, most europeans countries did as well. Does it make italians generals and troops worse than anyone else at this time ? I don't think so.

The leadership lose the 1940 campaign, I won't deny it. To their defense, everyone made large mistakes during this war.

Sudan is not a threat to France neither, who is strechted thin with 40,000 troops abroad (Afghanisthan, Ivory Coast, Kosovo, Congo...). Sudan is supposed to be inside british sphere of influence, but where are the Royal Marines.
And there are only 950 troops in Tchad... are we supposed to secure the largest african country with that ? what for ? It's a no worse than Sierra Leone or Congo, where 3 millions people died there since 1995.
So if you feel so concerned, you should move in.

A second rank country, few would refuse it. But an ambitious one, who choosed to stay as close as neutrality between the United State and USSR as possible, without actually breaking with the first one. In that situation, if the US take France for granted as it did in 2002, there is nothing to win so no reason to follow. That's a lesson UK learns painfully (let's hope so).

A good article of french foreign policy by Stratfor : www.atimes.com...

To return to the thread topic, I think Afghanistan is a lost case just like Kosovo, but I am glad to see the second Eurocorps overseas deployment, first being Bosnia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join