It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France takes over NATO's Afghanistan force

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The US would not even exist if it were not for the French military assisstance it recieved during the Revolution against the UK.

yes, yes, and the French would be speaking German right now if we didn't save them in the World Wars, we get it...

crmanager...thanks for the laugh, hehe....that's one of the best descriptions I've heard of the French world role in a LONG time, hehe....

Sorry to start the French bashing, it was just to hard to resist...

French rifle for sale! Never fired, dropped only once!
See? It's too damned hard...

Lance Armstrong may be stripped of his 6th win.
3 substances were found in his hotel room that are banned in France:

Toothpaste
Deodorant
and Soap.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Ok. Lets go with Aces(I think ) thought.

Doesn't France have the right to defend itself? From whom? When they developed nukes the English and Americans had Europe Covered.

They left NATO and developed their own nukes? American nukes just offended them. The U.S had PLENTY to cover France. Still does.

So go with this and say "Let Iran have nukes!" They are just defending themselves. And North Korea. And Libya. Oh Ya, South Africa needs them too.

This is nothing more then a modern day "Mine is bigger then yours!"

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The French have added a lot to wesern culture and it's still apparent in our language.

Here's a few French words that are still common in the English language:

blonde fair-haired
bon appétit good appetite
bon voyage good trip
brunette small, dark-haired female
carte blanche blank card
c'est la vie that's life
chic stylish
coup d'état state blow Overthrow of the government
crème de la crème cream of the cream
critique critical, judgment
cuisine kitchen, food style
debutante beginner
déjà vu already seen
de rigueur of rigueur Socially or culturally obligatory
encore again
en garde on guard
en route on route
femme fatale deadly woman
fiancée engaged person, betrothed
finale final
genre type
matinée morning
papier mâché mashed paper
petite small, short
protégé protected Someone whose training is sponsored by an influential person.
risqué risked
souvenir memory, keepsake
french.about.com...

The reason so many French words are in our culture is because the French were so much a part of our culture.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

Doesn't France have the right to defend itself? From whom? When they developed nukes the English and Americans had Europe Covered.

They left NATO and developed their own nukes?

They had their first nuke in 1960.
They withdrew from NATO in 1966.
www.nato.int...

The U.S had PLENTY to cover France. Still does.

Why should France put all of their faith in the US coming to their rescue?
Would the US give up it's nukes and let he UK and France defend the US if it ever needs help?

Which country is still trying to develop better and more powerful nukes in violation of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty?

I'll give you a hint, it's not France.

[edit on 9-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I see nations behaving like men's do and when it comes to who is more powerful or bigger and better performer and just like crmanager said in his post.

Yeah mine is bigger than yours. Right?

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

What, like the US/Soviet arms race wasn't just that either?

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
The French have added a lot to wesern culture and it's still apparent in our language.

Here's a few French words that are still common in the English language:

blonde fair-haired
bon appétit good appetite
bon voyage good trip
brunette small, dark-haired female
carte blanche blank card
c'est la vie that's life
chic stylish
coup d'état state blow Overthrow of the government
crème de la crème cream of the cream
critique critical, judgment
cuisine kitchen, food style
debutante beginner
déjà vu already seen
de rigueur of rigueur Socially or culturally obligatory
encore again
en garde on guard
en route on route
femme fatale deadly woman
fiancée engaged person, betrothed
finale final
genre type
matinée morning
papier mâché mashed paper
petite small, short
protégé protected Someone whose training is sponsored by an influential person.
risqué risked
souvenir memory, keepsake
french.about.com...

The reason so many French words are in our culture is because the French were so much a part of our culture.

I would make a list of the words we got from the English, but I would be here all day We speak English not French. The english were a much larger part of our culture then France ever was. Heck we were New England at one time not New france

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ok...so France and the US USED to be tight...you still won't find too many WWII Frenchmen/women that hate the US...it's the same in S. Korea..the ones that remember what the US did FOR them and not TO them still fuels pro-American sentiment...however..it's a different generation...One that didn't experience Nazi Occupation or North Korean Occupation...

I have seen the posts about France and Iraq doing business..it's true..I'm stationed in Germany..talk about bedfellows with Saddam...and Russia to..funny how the ones that opposed us going to Iraq the most had the most to lose by Saddam going bye-bye..but, it's a recurring theme...We put Saddam in power..I still remember Iraqi oil tankers flying the US flag during the 80's...kinda like the mujhadeen (SP) that we are fighting in Afghanistan...seems odd that the stingers and M-16's they are firing at us look a lot like the ones WE GAVE THEM! We need to train better friends to have less enemies in the future.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ace I understand where you are going but you are still missing the point.

From whom are they defending themselves? The Soviets? Do you actually think the U.S would not have lauched against the Soviets if they nuked France? yessireebob we would have.

They HATED the fact they owed their existence to the U.S. nuclear umbrella and all of our troops being stationed there. It killed them because the surrender and collaboration was only 15 years earlier.

They deveolped nukes to feel important, not for protection. But answer my question. Why should Iran be prevented from developing nukes? Or North Korea?etc...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
[edit on 9-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by Eddie999
France has done more for the world culturally, militarily and politically than the US ever has.

Yeah maybe in the 16th century they did. Armies all over the world use and copy French weapons. No wait even in the 16th century England made the better War ships. And every one in Europe must have picked Frances from of Goverment. Democracy elected officals now who was one of the first countires to adopt that form of Goverment since the Ancient Greeks? It must have been the French

Give me a break

In this age of global companies and multinational weapons systems there is no need to drag us back to the 16 century!!
I am not gonna post link after link here for you documenting France's contributions to mankind and civilization. Trust me however that they are many and truly significant. Learn your history. To learn the history of France is just as important as learning the history of any other nation. All this bashing of somebody who is not here to defend themselves does not become the image of this website or it's individual members. DENY IGNORANCE

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The French have some real good fighters there called the French Foreign Legion, And they dont have any French people in them

I dont usually get involved in these kind of threads but i thought i would point out a few figures to you guys ( please see link )

europeanhistory.about.com...

Its hardly fair after reviewing those casualty figures to call the french cowards and say that the FFL did all the work a lot of brave renchmen died in that War and to call the French Army Cowards just because their Government would not go along with the US line regarding Iraq is just plain wrong. A 75% casualty rating both killed and wounded says more to about their bravery, not their precieved cowardace. Of course they caved in under the German onslaught in WW2, but then who wouldnt when faced with the most powerful military machine of its age at that time?
Just an opinion.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

The French have some real good fighters there called the French Foreign Legion, And they dont have any French people in them

I dont usually get involved in these kind of threads but i thought i would point out a few figures to you guys ( please see link )

europeanhistory.about.com...

Its hardly fair after reviewing those casualty figures to call the french cowards and say that the FFL did all the work a lot of brave renchmen died in that War and to call the French Army Cowards just because their Government would not go along with the US line regarding Iraq is just plain wrong. A 75% casualty rating both killed and wounded says more to about their bravery, not their precieved cowardace. Of course they caved in under the German onslaught in WW2, but then who wouldnt when faced with the most powerful military machine of its age at that time?
Just an opinion.

I never said they were cowards I said they were not good fighters and having the highest Casualties rate in WW1 would seem to agree with me. Getting yourself killed for your country does not make you a soldier making the other poor SOB die for his country makes you a good soldier.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Janus, you have a good point. The French are not bad people. Just easy to ridicule.

By the way a 75% casualty rate is something you want to keep secret. That reflects fighting skills and tactics that don't work.

The French are just against...everything that is American.We say black they say white. It is easy to not take that mentality serious.

They were against the current war for one reason. Drum roll please...$

They had tons of cash wrapped up in the old Saddam and didn't want to lose it. Please don't buy into the "France was standing up to Bush."

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Im curious to know how you know they not good fighters, have you fought any French Soldiers in open combat recently? If you havent then perhaps you could provide some links from reliable sources to back up your statement.
As for implying that the high casualty figures dont mean that much, well the reason they are so high is because the Germans made the same mistake as you and attacked french lines time after time, to blead them white so the saying goes, and the French repulsed them time after time. Doesent sound like they couldnt fight to me.
I just dont see how it is fair to hold the French military up to ridicule because of the failings of their government, this not a flame so please dont take it as one, but just my personal opinion.

post directed at shadow

[edit on 9-8-2004 by Janus]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

- Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
- Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
- Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
- Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
- In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
- Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
- Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Janus I stand by my statement. A casualty rate that high talks volumes about the fighting skills and tactics used.

By the way I have gone up aginst French troops in training exercises and they are OUTSTANDING.

The ridicule is an undeserved hangover from WW2. Now the ridicule is reserved for their completely inept leadership.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Janus I stand by my statement. A casualty rate that high talks volumes about the fighting skills and tactics used.

By the way I have gone up aginst French troops in training exercises and they are OUTSTANDING.

The ridicule is an undeserved hangover from WW2. Now the ridicule is reserved for their completely inept leadership.

Ageed, leadership on all sides, apart from Black jack Pershing ( him Patton and Monty are personal Heros of mine ) was bordering on the criminal.
Thankyou for an intelligent and considered reply
( im not being sarcastic by the way but these smilies tend to make it seem so )
Shadow im a little disapointed that you thought you felt the need to copy and past from Google ive read your post before and find them for the main very good.
all im saying is dont pre judge them too quickly.
Ill leave you guys to carry on your debate

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Ace I understand where you are going but you are still missing the point.

From whom are they defending themselves? The Soviets? Do you actually think the U.S would not have lauched against the Soviets if they nuked France? yessireebob we would have.

They HATED the fact they owed their existence to the U.S. nuclear umbrella and all of our troops being stationed there. It killed them because the surrender and collaboration was only 15 years earlier.

They deveolped nukes to feel important, not for protection. But answer my question. Why should Iran be prevented from developing nukes? Or North Korea?etc...

I think you're missing the point also.
They don't want to be put in a position where they have to rely upon another nation to defend them again.
They want to be self reliant and fight their own battles.
There may not be an enemy now who wants to take them on but they have to be prepared if that ever happens.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
As for implying that the high casualty figures dont mean that much, well the reason they are so high is because the Germans made the same mistake as you and attacked french lines time after time, to blead them white so the saying goes, and the French repulsed them time after time. Doesent sound like they couldnt fight to me.

the french did fight badly, their tactics were bad, germany defeated them in only a few months, their weapons were outdated too, all this resulted in the high casualties so it means very much, the resistance only survived because the brittish and the oss(later the cia), if we hadnt snuck weapons in or communication devices the resistance wouldve been wiped out.

may have been brave but not skilled militarily.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join