It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trial opens for New Orleans police officers charged in deadly bridge shootings after Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Trial opens for New Orleans police officers charged in deadly bridge shootings after Katrina

www.washingtonpost.com

NEW ORLEANS — On a brisk January morning in 2007, seven New Orleans police officers waded through a crowd of cheering supporters outside the city’s jail to face charges stemming from a deadly encounter with residents on a bridge in Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath. Before they were booked, the grim-faced officers accepted hugs and handshakes from fellow cops who shouted, “Heroes! Heroes!”
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit to add a second link to the same story
AJC
edit on 21-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Unlike in my last story here are several men who should be drug out back and hung by the neck until dead....

what you may ask has me all fired up... it's what they did...

The other four members of the so-called Danziger Seven — named after the bridge where police shot and killed two unarmed people and wounded four others — and another police investigator go on trial Wednesday in a federal case that will rehash the most infamous chapter in the city’s awful post-Katrina annals and could severely test efforts to mend the police department’s frayed relationship with the public.

not only did they betray their oaths to protect and serve they fired on unarmed civilians...

One officer is accused of fatally shooting a mentally disabled man in the back before a sergeant stomped on him. Prosecutors say the same sergeant, armed with an assault rifle, fired on wounded and unarmed people lying on the ground. All are accused of participating in a cover-up that allegedly included a plot to plant a gun, fabricate witnesses and falsify reports.

this is one trial I will be watching closely

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
this makes me sick. The part that scares me is they are pretected by the badge and have the state on there side. What happens when th SHTF and the economy crashes. Im sure we will see more of this

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Every time I hear about those A-holes I get pissed. Everyone knows they're guilty. The only reason the police force still backs them is because they feel they have too. There is so much corruption in that system they're all afraid more dirt will be dug up.

These cops need to be brought to justice. They need to be made an example of to restore the trust of the public. Sadly, I don't think it will happen.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
Every time I hear about those A-holes I get pissed. Everyone knows they're guilty. The only reason the police force still backs them is because they feel they have too. There is so much corruption in that system they're all afraid more dirt will be dug up.

These cops need to be brought to justice. They need to be made an example of to restore the trust of the public. Sadly, I don't think it will happen.

Most LEOs are decent people but until the "blue code" is totally broken and dirty cops are held accountable by their fellow police officers and internal affairs is more than a "cover up" operation; respect will erode for law enforcement and rightly so.

Citizen/taxpayer boards should be set up to insure dirty cops get the same justice as ordinary criminals.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This won't go on much longer.

The Biggest Armed Force in the World is the American Population. Sooner or later, these police brutalities will take their toll on the tolerance of the people and the REAL conflicts will begin.

The smart police will check their consciences and take measures to treat the public with respect instead of thinking that they are untouchable. The courts may not do anything but the citizens will not be held to their standards when push comes to shove.

When the time comes, I wouldn't want to be in a cop's shoes. They stand out in a crowd very easily.

edit on 21-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

One officer is accused of fatally shooting a mentally disabled man in the back before a sergeant stomped on him. Prosecutors say the same sergeant, armed with an assault rifle, fired on wounded and unarmed people lying on the ground. All are accused of participating in a cover-up that allegedly included a plot to plant a gun, fabricate witnesses and falsify reports.

Standard operating procedures here.

These are just the stupid ones that got caught, you'll never know anything about the ones that didn't.

Heroes! they chant!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Police officers are supposed to be model citizens who protect citizens and uphold the law at all costs. It's cops like these who give police officers everywhere a bad name, and not just that--but cause the abasement of the lawman profession. It's no wonder why so many people, especially young people, no longer have any respect for the police.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by amaster

Most LEOs are decent people but until the "blue code" is totally broken and dirty cops are held accountable by their fellow police officers and internal affairs is more than a "cover up" operation; respect will erode for law enforcement and rightly so.

Citizen/taxpayer boards should be set up to insure dirty cops get the same justice as ordinary criminals.

I agree with your post with the exception that I think that dirty cops should get double the penalty automatcally, just because they broke the trust. Those involved in the murder of innocents get one retrial, then executed immediately upon being found guilty again.

The Police Unions should be fined as well every time a Police Officer breaks the trust of the people.

They'll start policing themselves when they're affected financially.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It's sad that america showed more urgency for japan, than in Katrina.
.... smh

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
i wonder how many other unreported cases of the same behaviour there were. cold blooded murder. shooting an unarmed man in the back with a shot gun makes you a "hero". brilliant.

new topics

top topics

join