It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Confirms multiple Dam and Levee Over Toppings on Missouri River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Nebraska:
Multiple levees were overtopped this weekend along the Missouri River. On June 19, 2011, Federal Levee - R548, located south of Brownville, NE, overtopped. Water levels at the Brownville gage increased approximately 2 feet in 24 hours and contributed to water going over a 30 foot stretch on the southern portion of the levee system.

Illinois: Another federal levee overtopped in Scott County along the Illinois River. Flash flooding caused overtopping on the upper flank due to heavy rains in Jacksonville, IL, upstream on the Mauvaise Terre Creek. There were three breaches in the levee totaling 300 feet. Due to location and size of the breaches, there is not much that can be done to stop the flow. Estimates indicate that flows will stop entering the levee district within 12-24 hours. This levee district is mostly agricultural, but there are some homeowners within the district and they have been notified.

Missouri/Nebraska state line:
The Brownville Bridge on US 136 at the Missouri/Nebraska state line is closed due to flooding caused by the overtopped levee (Missouri River). There are closures around Holt County and I-29 on levee unit I-550 located at the Upper Sonora bend of the Missouri River
Interstate 29 remains closed along parts of northwest Missouri and southeast Iowa.

www.fema.gov...

It looks like we are having a historic flood heading down river. And the MSM is not batting a eye at the situation. There have been rumors of Military movment in the area and FEMA style camps being erected. I pray for those on the river and hope everyone gets out safe.

edit on 21-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

info on nuke plant

rense.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am perplexed by the media blackout! How can something so important not be a focal point? I really try to take conspiracy theories with a grain of a salt until they are proven but this just reakes of some sort of coverup.

Any word on what the breach of the top of the dams means for the nuclear power plants in question?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
From what i understand and rumored to be 2 nuke plants flooded and their contanment pools are on the ground floor

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have tried to ask this question on different sites but if the nebraska power plant goes what would happen to Kansas CIty,mo how would that affect us here. I know we are bracing for flooding but I am more concerned about the power plant.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
between republican weiners weener on twitter and obama talking about the troops in afghanistan there is no time to talk about possible nuclear emergency on american soil. I bet over half of the people that live in those areas dont even know there are nuke plants in the area.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I have tried to ask this question on different sites but if the nebraska power plant goes what would happen to Kansas CIty,mo how would that affect us here. I know we are bracing for flooding but I am more concerned about the power plant.

I guess anything can happen. Events like what japan is going through or, finger crossed, nothing at all but a power outage. The problem is we cant get any info on the situation and the goverment ordered a media black out

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
There's plenty of news outlets covering it, even local news has been covering it here where I live out further east.. it's the large cable news networks that seem to be focusing elsewhere.

There's also a lot of speculation that is going on.. the power plant faces some risks but at last updates they were not flooded.. the parameter was sandbagged and from what I had read, could withstand up to 10 feet of additional water before there was much risk of the facility taking on any of it.. there were rumors of flooding, but none that I know of were substantiated .. a photo posted yesterday showed the plant operating and dry.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I wonder how I prepare if I don't know the risks? How far can radiation travel? I am only 2 hours away from nebraska. Don't get me wrong I care about the others but I care about my family first.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

I wonder how I prepare if I don't know the risks? How far can radiation travel? I am only 2 hours away from nebraska. Don't get me wrong I care about the others but I care about my family first.

due to wind patters, if there was a melt down, everything east of the plant and all the way to the east coast will be, well, radioactive. I would say 50 miles west of the plant will be a safe place to be. That would be my best guess.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I live in Iowa, less than an hour from the Ft Calhoun power plant and they've made it a no fly zone over the power plant, and they're telling us NOTHING on our local news about what may or may not happen when the power plant goes. It's scary to me that we're not being better informed, and i feel like that's a really bad sign.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Can anyone say "Media Blackout?"

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No kiddin'.. I did a thread this morning on the 2.5+ inches of rain the region got overnight, with the precip radar scan..

Thread Here...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Great post...it makes me feel slightly better to know there are people out there that are taking this seriously. I live in Sioux City and we got almost 3 inches of rain in less than an hour last night. Of course, our local news is saying that won't affect the river levels, which are already well over flood stage. It seems like so many people around here are just eating up whatever the news tells them, rather than actually checking these things out for themselves. It's disgusting really.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
There's plenty of news outlets covering it, even local news has been covering it here where I live out further east.. it's the large cable news networks that seem to be focusing elsewhere.

There's also a lot of speculation that is going on.. the power plant faces some risks but at last updates they were not flooded.. the parameter was sandbagged and from what I had read, could withstand up to 10 feet of additional water before there was much risk of the facility taking on any of it.. there were rumors of flooding, but none that I know of were substantiated .. a photo posted yesterday showed the plant operating and dry.

you keep saying everythings fine that you have seen pics and read articles I am still waiting for said pics and articles. that say it was never flooded?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

thanks for the thread Camaro. I like we can get so many sides of the story here on ATS with all of us watching.

Like another poster said this news need to get out. I dont care how many threads there are on it there is always new info being posted great job.

theres more rain coming. www.weather.com...
edit on 6/21/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I live in Iowa as well. We havent really been getting anything on the news about the flooding in my area(Cedar Rapids)
Hope stuff doesnt go downhill

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have people that I know that work at Cooper nuclear station. Employees went to work yesterday and told they were not to leave. Just was updated this morning and was told that they're shutting down the reactor on Sunday at the latest. I'm only about 40 miles from there now.
As for the levees, my bro is out watching the water rise as I write this just at the Missouri-Nebraska border and yeah, its not going down anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It's amazing how almost nothing like this is reported in my little corner of the Northeast. I'll be keeping my eyes on threads like this for sure!

top topics

join