It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
While I am NOT against capital punishment for crimes committed - I stress and worry about how many people are on death row who DID not do the crime, and therefore do not belong there.

I am 100% against capital punishment for some crimes convicted (WM3?)
you know why California's death row inmate numbers are so high? cause they don't like to kill anyone - they know any minute some forensics might show up and prove they got the wrong guy

As for this one, I didn't follow the case, I'd have to seriously deliberate all the facts before I can decide, but I'm sorry, if you're proven guilty, being "retarded" should NOT excuse you from capital punishment - people with a 62 iQ are pretty damn smart - go volunteer for special olympics sometime.

What the real problem not being addressed is that our courts no longer work on the "proven guilty" concept.
It seems to me that its the defendents job to prove they're innocent. Just ask Nancy Grace...

No alibi? too bad for you, I don't care if you really were eating rocky road ice cream watching reruns of family guy all by yourself - see you in court.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My sympathy is reserved for the innocent victims and the families of the victims . I don't care if the mass murderer had the IQ of a walnut , i vote him off my island with extreme prejudice . Sit him in Old Sparky , gas him , inject him , put a bullet in his head or fetch a rope . I don't care about any cost argument , rehabilitation , whether the death penalty serves as a deterrent or the possible IQ of a mass murdering retard . I want the retard dead and gone . In fact i think the execution should be televised . Maybe even pay per view with the profit going to the girl paralized from the neck down so she can get proper care for the rest of her life . If his organs are any good then provide those to innocent folks who are dieing on waiting lines for a transplant . Anything left , take his carcass to the local landfill with the rest of the trash .

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by LadySkadi

I agree people need to be protected from those who kill. But to kill those who kill produces a message to the people that it is perfectly acceptable to kill those who would do harm as long as we call it justice. This is wrong it shows the deepest lack of compassion on the planet. Compassion directed towards those who commit crime or do wrong is the ultimate transcendental property. This does not mean they will not be punished, but an eye for an eye will make the world go blind (thanks Gandhi). Our punishment should focus on rehabilitation other than suffering.

I'll save my compassion for the families of the murdered. In your Progressive world, murderers get three square meals a day, a roof over their head, free health care, and cable TV, all partially paid for by the victims' families How about you hippies pay for his room and board. Then you can call it square.

Mathis was convicted in September 1999 of opening fire on a home in Fort Bend County, west of Houston, and killing Travis Brown and Daniel Hibbard. A third victim, Melanie Almaguer, then 15, was also shot in the head and is paralyzed from the neck down.

Mathis also turned the gun on Almaguer's mother, who was in the home, but ran out of bullets, according to the state attorney general's office. He looted the home before setting it on fire, fled in Brown's car, and later told a fellow inmate that he wished he had "killed them all," according to the attorney general's office.

This required cunning and cognitive reasoning. It was murder, and the families shouldn't have to pay anymore for it.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
what i want to know is all these people agianst capital punishment are they against abortion?

he commited a crime and deserves whats coming his way

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
He was sentenced in 1999, before a Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to execute inmates with mental disabilities.

What's the problem here? Let him fry.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
2 People where Murdered, a 3rd attempted, it's that simple.

His IQ is irrellivant, He know enough what he was doing, and the Execution should happen.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by laiguana

I hope somebody shows you the same courtesy someday.

Bet your tune would change then eh.

Bet your tune would change if this guy murdered one of your children.

You're a little slow mate, I've already answered that - or did you, in your zeal to poke a stick at 'those pesky hippies', forget to read the entire thread before posting?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theviruskennewick
reply to post by DaddyBare

a mentally challenged individual[retard if you prefer] stabbed me with a #2 pencil in high school!
the fact this guy killed people goes to show this was no accident.
''i dont wanna! nnooooo!''
''but timmy you are retarded no one will convict you1besides i have a kit kat in it for ya...huh?huh!? thats my boy!''

So because a mentally disabled person stabbed you with a pencil, that means all mentally disabled people should be executed? Niiiiiiiiice.....

The fact you referred to him as a 'retard' is the kicker.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
what i want to know is all these people agianst capital punishment are they against abortion?

Nope, not against abortion whatsoever - nice deflection though and nice attempt at changing the topic.

edit on 22/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thwax

Originally posted by DaddyBare
He was sentenced in 1999, before a Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to execute inmates with mental disabilities.

What's the problem here? Let him fry.

All you advocates sound like rednecks with your 'execute him' and 'let him fry'. Think about those words with a hillbilly accent and you'll see what I mean

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The guy is not mentally disabled. He's just stupid. There is a difference. I work with mentally and psychically disabled children every day in my work, as does my wife working at a Children's Hospital, and guess what? None of them would try to harm anyone because they know its wrong. This guy is a cool blooded murderer attempting to use a lame excuse to avoid being executed. He killed two men, paralyzed a third victim, looted the home and then set fire too it. Sounds like he was smart enough to operate a firearm, plan a violent crime and then smart enough to try to cover up that crime. Sorry, I got no compassion for this guy. Send him onto the maker.

edit on 22-6-2011 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Can you say that with a hillbilly, redneck accent? Pretty please? It would make it sound so much more meaningful....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Utterly against capital punishment and not against abortion..

There have been enough cases in the UK ranging from executing someone with mental issues (Derek Bentley as a notable example) to proof the police conspire to get the innocent convicted of murder to satiate public demands (Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 as notable examples)

When you realise your justice system is far from perfect, and that it will (given the opportunity) execute the innocent in the name of justice it really does seem logical to put an end to capital punishment.

(that is aside from my personal opinion that capital punishment is wrong)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You can name call all you like if that makes you feel good about yourself. Society has the right to protect itself from murderers. Why not address any of the facts that i pointed out? The man planned a violent crime, murdered two men and put another in a wheel chiar for the rest of his life. Looted the house and then set fire to the crime scene to cover up his crimes. So, he's smart enough to do all that but not smart enough to pay for the crime? riiiiiiiiight.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

I never said he shouldn't pay for his crime, you are trying to put words into my mouth to justify your own argument. If you had read the whole thread, instead of jumping the gun in your zeal to let everyone know you enjoy watching people being killed, you would know that I advocate life in prison as a true and just sentence.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
How stupid are you people? This is just his way of getting out of trouble, by claiming to be too 'mentally disabled' to be executed. Besides, even if he is disabled it's because he took so much meth and crack so know what? to hell with that scum, go cry about something else you bunny huggers.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I only had to read the guys crime, which was mapped out on the OP's links. He robbed and murdered his first victim, and was caught exiting the room of the crime. He then ordered his two hostages into a room where he walked up a young woman and point blank shot her in the head. She has been paralyzed from the neck down since that day. He then shot and killed the third victim before trying to burn up the crime scene. There is no reason I know of that this monster should be left with a life.

The reports even show that his IQ may have been lower because of 6 years of drug abuse.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyFox
How stupid are you people? This is just his way of getting out of trouble, by claiming to be too 'mentally disabled' to be executed. Besides, even if he is disabled it's because he took so much meth and crack so know what? to hell with that scum, go cry about something else you bunny huggers.

Lol @ "bunny huggers". The insults get more creative by the minute - and yet I hear them as if they are spoken by hillbilly rednecks toting shotguns with a toothpick hanging out of their mouth.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I only had to read the guys crime, which was mapped out on the OP's links. He robbed and murdered his first victim, and was caught exiting the room of the crime. He then ordered his two hostages into a room where he walked up a young woman and point blank shot her in the head. She has been paralyzed from the neck down since that day. He then shot and killed the third victim before trying to burn up the crime scene. There is no reason I know of that this monster should be left with a life.

The reports even show that his IQ may have been lower because of 6 years of drug abuse.

Whoopdy doo. Still doesn't make it right to kill him back.

Life sentence in a 6x4 jail cell is more than appropriate, no matter how many shotgun-toting psychopaths say otherwise.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

God forbid but I hope no criminal every kills your family members. You might think otherwise. My belief is that if you want to play hardcore tough guy and go around murdering people then you should expect that your own life may be taken as a result. I don't seen much benefit having this guy sitting in a cell where he could hurt another inmate of a lesser crime, or where our tax dollars are being spent on his food and medical supplies. There are much more deserving people.

But the reality is he is not mentally disabled and if he is disabled it was because of 6 years of drug use. He did all of this to himself.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join