It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Just how many nukes does one country need anyways? The U.S. has spent multiple billions creating enough nukes to wipe out the planet several times over yet some people try to argue that keeping someone alive and prisoner is somehow expensive.

I am absolutely appalled at some peoples attitudes to human life.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Killing people as a form of saving precious dollars is ridiculous...life certainly has more value than paper.

That's a laugh. In the case of the person described in this article I value toilet paper over his waste of flesh. Though I suppose slave labor would be preferable. Make the SOB spend the rest of his days toiling to pay for the little 15 year old girl whose life he ruined.

Also noteworthy...prison industries is one of the fastest growing markets in the United States today...money to be made everywhere as long as people keep getting locked up. Pockets are deep in the industries of corruption...prisons are money making machines!

Gotta make money off the losers of society somehow.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mishmashum

I value toilet paper over the opinion of someone who values money more than human life.

I am utterly disgusted by some people.
edit on 21/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Let's take a look at the average cost to house one inmate for one year...

All told, it costs an average of $129.04 a day to house an inmate in the prison system. Although these figures come from California corrections, it is slightly lower in other parts of the country, but not by much.

Inmate Housing Cost

Let's do some math...129.05 * 365 = 47,103.25.

Really? Tell me that somebody is not getting filthy rich off of housing inmates...I can understand an argument that brings up the cost of housing an inmate...what I cannot understand is using it to justify killing.

If housing inmates as a way to decrease cost's to us taxpayers is an argument...then we need to take a look at why the U.S. has more people per capita in prison than any other nation in the world! Why is that?
Because it is money, money, and more money...and unlimited amount of income as long as we continue to pass laws that lock people up.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
]reply to post by Mishmashum

Gotta make money off the losers of society somehow.

Are you not understanding that your not making money...unless you are employed by the prison system...you are spending it...just saying.

Your statement speaks volumes about the type of person you really are!

Would it surprise you to know I have spent over 13 years in our fine penal institutions? Am I a loser of our society?

Hmmm....answer carefully...this could be where you show your true colors!
edit on 21-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

When you come up with a solution for paying all the people back whose lives were ruined by this mess. Then we can talk about caring for your depraved scum bags who you love so much.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Actually, the kicker is when people realise it's actually more expensive to execute someone than to keep them locked up. Shuts the death penalty advocates right up......

Capital Punishment Costs More Than Life in Prison Without Parole

North Carolina spends $2.16 million per execution more than the costs of a non-death penalty murder case.

Florida has spent around $57 million on the death penalty for just 18 executions. This averages to about $3.2 million per execution.

In Texas, the death penalty costs an average of $2.3 million per execution, three times more expensive than imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years.

The State of Ohio spent $1.5 million to execute a mentally retarded man who wanted to be executed.

California spends $90 million annually on the death penalty over the costs of their regular system. $78 million of that money is spent at the trial level, proving that the death penalty costs come almost completely from the trial level. Not the appeals process, like everyone thinks it does.

To execute or not: A question of cost?
States discover it's cheaper to imprison killers for life than to execute them

After decades of moral arguments reaching biblical proportions, after long, twisted journeys to the nation's highest court and back, the death penalty may be abandoned by several states for a reason having nothing to do with right or wrong:

Money.

Turns out, it is cheaper to imprison killers for life than to execute them, according to a series of recent surveys. Tens of millions of dollars cheaper, politicians are learning, during a tumbling recession when nearly every state faces job cuts and massive deficits.

So an increasing number of them are considering abolishing capital punishment in favor of life imprisonment, not on principle but out of financial necessity.

"It's 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive," though most Americans believe the opposite, said Donald McCartin, a former California jurist known as "The Hanging Judge of Orange County" for sending nine men to death row.

Blows the money argument right out of the water and leaves the shotgun-toting psychopaths realing and searching for other excuses to justify their beloved death penalty.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Do you understand why it costs so much to do an execution? Because bleeding heart morons like yourself cry to the courts for years on end sucking down tax dollars. If we just walked out back and put the person down properly. It wouldn't cost more than a bullet.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Oh so giving someone a fair trial is now the problem is it?

Geez, can't win with you lot can we.

EDIT TO ADD: You do realise thats the way the Russians used to (maybe still do) executions? Take them out back and put a bullet in them. I didn't realise how much death penalty advocates seem to like the Communist approach so much......

Hmmm, good food for thought there.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Ahhh, more disgusting armchair murderers.

I don't care what a person did wrong, execution is a Dark Ages throwback and only the very slow or the intellectually challenged still think it is the right thing to do. It is wrong in every way, shape or form and nobody, particularly those disgusting people who advocate it, will ever change my mind.

How do people like you sleep at night? Oh wait, don't answer that.......I can imagine you would sleep quite well in your bloodbath dreams......

I sleep fine thank you. I think you are disgusting too, instead arguing the points of this case you yank out the self-righteous soapbox and then launch personal attacks instead of anything approaching reasoned thought.

As for changing tunes, you might sing a different song yourself should someone you love ever be a victim of an animal that kills for fun and profit.

Stuff that self-righteous indignation back in your cake hole if you can't be civil.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Trials are fine and needed.

'Waste of time and money'
California's legendarily slow appeals system, which produces an average wait of nearly 20 years from conviction to fatal injection — the longest in the nation. Of the nine convicted killers McCartin sent to death row, only one has died. Not by execution, but from a heart attack in custody.

Death penalty trials are more expensive for several reasons: They often require extra lawyers; there are strict experience requirements for attorneys, leading to lengthy appellate waits while capable counsel is sought for the accused; security costs are higher, as well as costs for processing evidence — DNA testing, for example, is far more expensive than simple blood analyses.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
( from your own source no less, guess you didn't read it
)

But unlimited appeals and unending vigils standing outside demanding we stay the hand, to help the wonderful innocent murderers stay alive yet another day longer, allowing them to further suck on the tit of the state, certainly ups the cost.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Mishmashum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I hold absolutely no respect whatsoever to those who think killing someone somehow justifies their killing of someone else.

Methinks you are mistaking me for somebody who cares about your opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Oh, so you believe that someone fighting for their life shouldn't get a chance at appealing that hmm? Just take em out back and shoot them after the first trial eh?

What about the many people that have been wrongfully executed? Are they just 'Collateral Damage' to you?

How about those that currently sit on Death Row that are actually innocent? Would you deny them the right to multiple appeals in the effort to clear themselves? Or would you just take them out back and shoot them anyways and chalk it up to 'Collateral Damage'?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by Kryties

If housing inmates as a way to decrease cost's to us taxpayers is an argument...then we need to take a look at why the U.S. has more people per capita in prison than any other nation in the world! Why is that?
Because it is money, money, and more money...and unlimited amount of income as long as we continue to pass laws that lock people up.

If you think a simple two paragraph analysis is comprehensive and complete something's missing upstairs. We have too many laws for one. Stupid laws over victimless crimes. If you're going to conflate the whole mess of the US prison system as a problem due to felony murder. Then you haven't thought the problem through.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

As for changing tunes, you might sing a different song yourself should someone you love ever be a victim of an animal that kills for fun and profit.

If someone I loved were to be subjected to being killed then I would sleep safe in the knowledge that he would be locked up in a small 6x4 cell for the rest of his natural life.

See, down here in Australia we woke up to the fact that the Death Penalty is cruel and unusual vengence based punishment a long time ago. As did many other nations on this planet. In fact, it seems, that many of the last hold-outs are either the U.S. or a Muslim country.....

Go figure.....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

If you're going to conflate the whole mess of the US prison system as a problem due to felony murder. Then you haven't thought the problem through.

Oh I assure you I have thought the problem through...lived it also...which goes miles above your analysis in my opinion...your just a talking neck with no experience in it at all...or have you killed someone...maybe you have in fact have been killed...in which case I am wrong and I will apologize.

As for a simple two paragraph summarization...well it was not meant to summarize anything...but instead illustrate one point...which you have failed to note in your response...no surprise!

Please explain what makes a murder a felony murder (although I am sure we can agree it is a law and conviction that decides it to be a felony)...my point however is that felony murder is murder with a conviction behind it...nothing more...so are other murders acceptable?

Now I understand that you do not think that this one felony murder case has anything to do with the faults of the prison system...I agree...this one murder case is nothing compared to the corruption of the justice system as a whole.

Please forgive my pointedness and lack of substance in this short summation also...I really am having a hard time following your logic as you seem to bounce where ever is handy for your argument. By all means though...continue justifying killing people...I thought the bullet in the head and the cost of a shell was especially nice and pointed.

edit on 21-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Did he know it was wrong? Sure. But small children know right from wrong. My trouble is that, to me, the death penalty implies that someone committed a heinous act while fully cognizant that they were doing so. Someone with that severe of a mental disability doesn't have the ability to be fully cognizant of their own shoes.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm very very uncomfortable with the death penalty, however when it comes to serial murderers the death penalty is justified without a doubt.

This young man was born in to a drug house and knew nothing else.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by laiguana

I hope somebody shows you the same courtesy someday.

Bet your tune would change then eh.

Bet your tune would change if this guy murdered one of your children.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

a mentally challenged individual[retard if you prefer] stabbed me with a #2 pencil in high school!
the fact this guy killed people goes to show this was no accident.
''i dont wanna! nnooooo!''
''but timmy you are retarded no one will convict you1besides i have a kit kat in it for ya...huh?huh!? thats my boy!''

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join