It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by DaddyBare

Is there a link to the court papers and testimonies?

if there is I have been able to find it... however from my second link here is a FAQ

Facts of the Case:

Milton Mathis was sentenced to death for the murder of Travis Brown III, 24, and Daniel Hibbard, 31. The two men were shot to death in their home in Houston, Texas. Mathis was 19 at the time. The victims were shot in the head with a .45 calibre pistol. Police believed the motive for the shootings was robbery.

On December 15, 1998, at approximately 8:00 or 8:30 a.m., a woman and her 15-year old daughter went to the home of a man named Chris. Chris rented rooms in his home to Brown and Hibbard. Travis Brown and Milton Mathis were in Travis's room. While the woman, her daughter and Hibbard sat in Chris's room, Chris went into the kitchen. Shortly thereafter, Chris heard gunshots from Travis's room and turned to see Mathis exiting the room with a gun in his hand. Mathis claimed that Travis had just shot himself. Chris told Mathis to put the gun down, however Mathis ordered Chris and the other three back into Chris's room where he walked up to the girl and shot her in the head, leaving her alive but paralyzed from the neck down. Mathis then shot Daniel Hibbard in the head, killing him.

Mathis was subsequently tried by a jury and convicted of capital murder. The jury then returned answers to special issues submitted under the Texas Criminal Code, which required imposition of the death penalty. On September 21, 1999, the trial court entered the judgment and sentence of death. On February 13, 2002, the Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed the conviction.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

edit on 21-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

reply to post by mishigas

your very right.. lots of successful people never made it past grade school... my own uncle was one of those... had to quit school to take care of his mom and siblings.. my own mother was one of those sibs... sure it was tough on him still he came to be a well liked and respected land developer... he also did not have an IQ of only 62

*Now* you're getting closer to what may be important...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
He might possibly be mentally disabled, but his victims are 100% dead.

Fry him.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
how many mental incapacitated people get a gun shoot three people then turn the gun on his mother and pull the trigger but was finally out of them and then get a victims car and flees the scene.

i agree FRY HIM!
edit on 21-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I googled some more info........from what I'm studying by photographs and reports, this young man belongs on the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Spotted it within the first photograph. Just thought I'd let you know.

I'm going to read some of his case files I found and I'll pop back tomorrow with what else I can find.

I'd be really angry if this young man has been accused of a crime he may not had committed in the first place!

edit on 21-6-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Man oh man do the executioners EVER consider their hands evaluated for blood destruction. and what may follow. Pushing the buton -you did it-

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

last time i checked aint noone in this thread killed 3 people and turn a gun on their mothers and ran from the scene of the crime.

the only executioners here is the dude from the op.
edit on 21-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I agree people need to be protected from those who kill. But to kill those who kill produces a message to the people that it is perfectly acceptable to kill those who would do harm as long as we call it justice. This is wrong it shows the deepest lack of compassion on the planet. Compassion directed towards those who commit crime or do wrong is the ultimate transcendental property. This does not mean they will not be punished, but an eye for an eye will make the world go blind (thanks Gandhi). Our punishment should focus on rehabilitation other than suffering.

Over half of the civilized world has banned capital punishment for a reason. And its funny to note that the countries who still practice it are hopelessly corrupt (i.e. the United States).
edit on 21-6-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This young man is set to meet his destiny today 21st of June

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am talking of those who distribute the death and ALL associated with the process of distributing death this way. The remaining of your comment 1 has misunderstood.

edit on 6/21/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Boo Hoo

I don't care if he vomits diamonds.

He killed two people, ruined the life of a third, in addition to all their loved ones.

Death will be his release.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This story I would tend to believe and I do not doubt Milton was lying while he admits his guilt; I figured he might had been under some pressure from another person and he panicked:

www.chron.com...

Life behind bars for the remainer of his natural life.......but the death penalty should be taken off the table.

What bloody crappy lawyers he has too.

edit on 21-6-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Texas standards for intelligence seem to be quite a bit lower than other areas of the country/world.
If an IQ of 70 is the "standard" - then 62 ought to be good 'enuf to fry 'em in Texas. (sarcasm off)
After all, the voters here in Texas put both GWB and Rick Perry in the Governor's seat. How intelligent is that?

ganjoa
(This is not an endorsement for capital punishment - just a comment on the prevailing mind set in Texas. Flame on if you must)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Like I said at the beginning I don't know how I feel about this case... the more I learn the less I like this guy

"I look at this case as a failure on our part," she said. "I don't think Milton Mathis should be on death row."

Fred Felcman, the Fort Bend County assistant district attorney who prosecuted Mathis, called him violent individual and "a little thug."

"He'd already been assaulting people and killing people's dogs and holding them for ransom," Felcman said. "People were almost more upset by the dogs than by killing people. ... He's got a low IQ but he's very street savvy and very street smart."

Death row??? maybe not... but surely he has proven himself a danger to everyone... including his own mother...
edit on 21-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
in all honesty, if you were convicted to life in prison, wouldn't you rather seek death?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

fine have it your way

how intelligent is the country to make obama the president of this country?

but i digress

aint the topic some dude shooting people is and fleeing the scene

the act of fleeing denotes know the difference between right and wrong if the dude was so mental "retarded"

he would have stayed there and would have not thought what he did was wrong however he fled

the case is made.

he needs to pay for his sins as duly supported by the laws of texas.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Kids, especially those with ASD get spoofed almost immediately when threatened....and I'm assuming he was never under medication.

It's not easy to understand the mindset of someone with ASD.....assuming thats what he has.

I believe him when he alleges another threatened him if he did'nt shoot......panicked and shot the others. He had nothing to loose nor gain by lying and a majority of those with ASD don't lie.

The whole incident and the case is sad; lawyers not even getting their paperwork in on time. I doubt he's going to get off on this one because of lack of support. On the flip side, it appears he is thriving in prison.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join