It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I once dated a girl whose IQ, I'm sure, must be under 75.. Two windshields later, as "insane" as she was, she was absolutely cognitive in her decision making. Pretty faces, yuck.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If hes a murderer and has a mental disability then i would suggest that the death penalty is ok due to the fact that he is even more of a threat then someone whos normal who also commits crime.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Kill him. Anything else and you suddenly have thousands of inmates pretending to be retarded.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by zerotime
I only had to read the guys crime, which was mapped out on the OP's links. He robbed and murdered his first victim, and was caught exiting the room of the crime. He then ordered his two hostages into a room where he walked up a young woman and point blank shot her in the head. She has been paralyzed from the neck down since that day. He then shot and killed the third victim before trying to burn up the crime scene. There is no reason I know of that this monster should be left with a life.

The reports even show that his IQ may have been lower because of 6 years of drug abuse.

Whoopdy doo. Still doesn't make it right to kill him back.

Life sentence in a 6x4 jail cell is more than appropriate, no matter how many shotgun-toting psychopaths say otherwise.

It's more than appropriate for you. Are you the victims' family? How about if you ask them if it's more than appropriate? When your family is attacked, then you can ask for clemency. But fortunately it isn't up to you*.

*said in a hillbilly, redneck, cracker accent

/TOA

Not enough bias to make a clear decision, right?

You're so backwards here, sorry.

Yes, I'm obviously backward for having pity for the innocent instead of for the guilty.

/TOA

So now pity is synonymous with vengeance as well?

Cool story.

You really know how to reinvent the thesaurus.

Who says I don't pity the family? You? Because I don't want to kill the perp means I have no feelings for the victims? I'll ask you not to project my opinion for me, because you obviously know nothing of it.

Let's behave like adults, please.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

You misunderstand me. I couldn't give a rats hairy behind what you feel for them. But you said that I'm backward. My stance is that pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent. Ergo, you think my pity for the family is backward, and that I should have pity for this dirtbag. But his actions clearly show that he knew what he was doing was wrong. What is there to pity?

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
He should get the death penalty: 1. He killed people. 2. He could be faking his "psychology tests". 3. Mentally disabled people are capable of harming themselves and others.

The pitiful part are those people who pity killers and mentally disabled people.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky

The pitiful part are those people who pity killers and mentally disabled people.

Oooooook. So now it's wrong to pity mentally disabled people is it? Should we just knock them on the head at birth and be done with it eh? Can't have these disgusting mentally disabled people growing up to get in 'healthy' peoples ways now can we?

Just can't win with you bloody people.
edit on 23/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Nobody is 'pitying' the accused, as you seem to wish to make out like people are suggesting. We simply think the death penalty is wrong - he still deserves punishment, just not the death type.

Awaiting to see how you twist my words to suit your own agenda this time........

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Nobody is 'pitying' the accused, as you seem to wish to make out like people are suggesting. We simply think the death penalty is wrong - he still deserves punishment, just not the death type.

Awaiting to see how you twist my words to suit your own agenda this time........

No, YOU think the death penalty is wrong, everyone else wants this freak of nature to fry like bacon.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Thwax

Riiiiight......correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not) but I am definately not the only person in this thread who is against the death penalty. I can start quoting the others here just to prove you wrong and show you up as a fraud - but I'll give you the chance to retract that statement and save yourself the embarrassment before I do.

Anyone who can read English can see I'm not alone in this thread - nice try though

edit on 23/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
So I am asking again, will the US also execute children and juveniles? If the cognitive abilities are not important, then why not?

Mentally retarded criminals belong to psychiatric asylum, not to jail or death penalty, they are not fully responsible for what they do.
edit on 23/6/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

According to some people in this thread we should be knocking mentally retarded babies on the head at birth to save humanity the trouble.

This is the kind of people you are dealing with here mate - sick and twisted.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
So I am asking again, will the US also execute children and juveniles? If the cognitive abilities are not important, then why not?

Mentally retarded criminals belong to psychiatric asylum, not to jail, they are not fully responsible for what they do.

He knew he was picking up a gun, he knew he was killing other people with it. He was in full control, and knew what he was doing at the same time. I hope there's a clock in his cell, tormenting him with endless ticks until his death. He was an evil, evil man and deserves nothing less than death.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Thwax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
ATTENTION

ATS is NOT the place for off-topic posts and personal insults.

Stay focused on the topic please.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I'm not twisting anything. Nor am I suggesting anything other than the fact that you and diverse others haven't mentioned word one about the rights of the family of the victims and what would be fair to them. Only that death is unfair to the murderer. Was death fair to the victims? Was paralyzation fair to the child? Who has more rights in this case: the murderer or the victims? The victims' rights have been neutralized by the expedient method of ending their lives. Now society must determine if the same should be done to the murderer.

Progressives love whine and moan that everyone has to be equal. But, as was said in "Animal Farm": All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Thwax

He knew he was picking up a gun, he knew he was killing other people with it. He was in full control, and knew what he was doing at the same time.

An ape can do that, too. He also has to have the mental capacity to understand that it is considered wrong to do such thing. I am not saying he has not, there are various levels of mental retardation, so it is possible. But when cognitive abilities are sufficiently low, it IS a valid defense.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

reply to post by laiguana

I hope somebody shows you the same courtesy someday.

Bet your tune would change then eh.

What kind of courtesy are you referring to? That which Mathis showed to his victims?

"Chris heard gunshots from Travis's room and turned to see Mathis exiting the room with a gun in his hand. Mathis claimed that Travis had just shot himself. Chris told Mathis to put the gun down, however Mathis ordered Chris and the other three back into Chris's room where he walked up to the girl and shot her in the head, leaving her alive but paralyzed from the neck down. Mathis then shot Daniel Hibbard in the head, killing him.

Maybe you should campaign for the release of Mathis - after all he's only and eight-year-old boy in a man's body. Then you could show him the extent of your courtesy by letting him come live with you and your family.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Nor am I suggesting anything other than the fact that you and diverse others haven't mentioned word one about the rights of the family of the victims and what would be fair to them.

Stop going on about the victims like we don't care about them. Of course we care about the victims and it is disgusting to suggest otherwise.

Fair to the victim? What's the difference between the person being jailed for life and them being dead to the victim? What, the victim can feel all warm and fuzzy that their attacker has been executed? Personally I don't get all warm and fuzzy over the thought of death.

Was death fair to the victims?

They are dead. Yes, that is horrendous but, and without trying to sound awful here, dead people don't really care - they are dead. How is killing someone else going to change the fact that they are dead?

Was paralyzation fair to the child?

Obviously not. Again, you are trying to suggest that we don't care for the dead or the paralysed victims. But how is killing someone else going to change the fact that this child is paralysed? Or is it just to give that child a warm and fuzzy feeling that someone was executed for attacking them? There is something very wrong with people who think getting a warm and fuzzy feeling over death is a good thing.

Who has more rights in this case: the murderer or the victims? The victims' rights have been neutralized by the expedient method of ending their lives. Now society must determine if the same should be done to the murderer.

Yes, and not all society agrees that killing the murderer is such a good thing. Yet the advocates flock to the cause screaming bloody murder and acting just as bad as the killer himself. Case in point: this thread and the people wanting to 'flick the switch' and 'fry the bastard' themselves.

Progressives love whine and moan that everyone has to be equal. But, as was said in "Animal Farm": All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

YOU may perceive it as 'whining and moaning' - I perceive it as not wanting society to lower itself to the level of the criminal in order to satisfy some twisted urge for revenge and death.
edit on 23/6/2011 by Kryties because: Spelling - don't want the spelling Nazi's deflecting the topic again because of spelling.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join