It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Death penalty in Texas is by Lethal injection. You know before they stickim with the needle, they gonna wipe his arm with alcohol. Wouldn't want the poor boy get hisself an infection. Sum time's the sh¥t's so bad all ya can do is laugh. Laugh at it. Laugh at the sorry assed state of affairs this ole world has come to.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
you kill someone, don't expect not to be killed... if you're retarded and you kill someone, too bad... i don't think he should be killed just throw em in a jail for life with the rest of the killers, punishment worse than death IMO

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

While I don't favor the death penalty, I don't see why being mentally disabled a reason not to go through with it. If he doesn't understand not to shoot people, then perhaps the law is right in its actions.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

There's nothing wrong with respecting life. Nor was I trying to drag you through the mud by implication. I'm simply curious why a supposedly normal person wouldn't realize that in the world we live in that justice is a personal matter. The state attempts to define it but in the instances when it doesn't meet needs of the victim other problems manifest (read: social costs / decay and acts of retribution).

You also keep reposting your money argument. Did you not read the thread yourself? Someone else has already pointed out the problem is that it costs so much because people clog up the system with unending appeals. Resorting to an appeal to emotion "collateral damage" argument is a joke. No social conflict and resolution is ever perfect. No sane person revels in the death of another individual. However reality is that people do terrible things. There have to be consequences. Try working in the NY police force for a week or two. Your rose colored glasses will come off real quick.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMalefactor

I have absolutely no doubt that there are horrible people out there - having been on the receiving end of that myself a few times, almost to the detriment of my life. But never at any point in time did I wish "Damn I wish we Aussies could bring back the death penalty". No, they are spending long stints in prison and I am more than happy with the result.

Yes, I know my little story doesn't compare to actual murder (nearly did though
), all I am simply trying to do is give you an insight into the workings of my mind. No matter what a person does, no matter how stupendously horrendous that crime might be, I would NEVER allow myself to sink to that same level in order to punish someone.

P.S. Never EVER piss off a bikie gang. Just some kind words of advice

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Edited.
Not getting drawn into another personal attack

edit on 22/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You have to remember though we're not stooping to there level. What they did they did out of hatred, anger, and evil. What we're doing isn't out of any of those emotions we want a fair justice for the pain they have caused. Sitting cozy in an air conditioned building with free meals, tv to watch, and a bed at night is not our idea of justice being served.

btw no personal attack was made, just pointing out the obvious.
edit on 22-6-2011 by blair56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56
reply to post by Kryties

You have to remember though we're not stooping to there level. What they did they did out of hatred, anger, and evil.

And killing them back is vengeance. No matter what spin you put on it, it's just as bad.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes you had to be mentally ill to kill two people. There's no different if he was sane/insane.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Yes, I know my little story doesn't compare to actual murder (nearly did though
), all I am simply trying to do is give you an insight into the workings of my mind. No matter what a person does, no matter how stupendously horrendous that crime might be, I would NEVER allow myself to sink to that same level in order to punish someone.

P.S. Never EVER piss off a bikie gang. Just some kind words of advice

As I said before I'm not ragging on respecting life. I wish more people felt that way. However there's a social cost. When a person loses a loved one and a bread winner. The reaction goes beyond vengeance. It's a change to the entire structure of their life. They have to completely rearrange how they live to accommodate someone else's hideous actions. Justice in this scenario isn't cut and dry. Sticking the person in a room where they get food, yard time, some TV, and free workout equipment is a picnic in comparison to a mother who now has to slave away working and trying to raise a child by herself. In this instance she wants compensation. She wants help raising her child with her lost husband. The state provides none of these things. They do however offer resources to the murderer: food, basic distractions, usually a library pass, medical/psychological assistance, and a bed. Most reasonable people are outraged that the burden is placed disproportionately on the victim. In the mind of the mother state sponsored justice is simply a mechanism to reduce further community damage. For the mother real justice would be compensation. That's not provided in any form or shape. In the absence of compensation people seek out vengeance. Justice is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

vengeance is a form of punishment in retaliation to a certain act. but it's an extreme form of punishment. Whats happening is not extreme it's fair. Pinning them to a cross like said earlier would be extreme. Putting them to sleep and then injecting them is pretty fair considering this man took 2 lives and paralyzed another. God only knows what the person who is paralyzed is going through. Seeing 2 of there friends die right in front of them, having to be reminded of that night everyday due to the being paralyzed. The visions that are burned into there memory. What this man is getting isn't even close to what he put these ppl through.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I only had to read the guys crime, which was mapped out on the OP's links. He robbed and murdered his first victim, and was caught exiting the room of the crime. He then ordered his two hostages into a room where he walked up a young woman and point blank shot her in the head. She has been paralyzed from the neck down since that day. He then shot and killed the third victim before trying to burn up the crime scene. There is no reason I know of that this monster should be left with a life.

The reports even show that his IQ may have been lower because of 6 years of drug abuse.

Whoopdy doo. Still doesn't make it right to kill him back.

Life sentence in a 6x4 jail cell is more than appropriate, no matter how many shotgun-toting psychopaths say otherwise.

It's more than appropriate for you. Are you the victims' family? How about if you ask them if it's more than appropriate? When your family is attacked, then you can ask for clemency. But fortunately it isn't up to you*.

*said in a hillbilly, redneck, cracker accent

/TOA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying mate, I really do. There are so many intricacies to the matter of punishment that we could sit here all year discussing them and not even scratch the surface.

In the end it comes down to this for me - death is the easy way out. That criminal gets a pass off spending the rest of his time locked up - and in my case if the blokes who had tried to kill me had have been put to death I would be sitting here with an empty hole in my heart wishing they were still alive and suffering punishment in jail for many many years.

Anyways, not to be a party pooper but it's WAAAAY past my bedtime and me need sleepies. I'll check the thread tomorrow and continue if necessary.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So will the US also execute kids? Because this man is basically on the level of a child.

No government should have any power to legally kill its citizens, ever.
edit on 22/6/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

reply to post by zerotime

If you had have read the entire thread you would know that I hold absolutely no respect whatsoever for people who believe execution is a fair punishment for murder.

And yet, somehow, we'll find a way to continue our sad, empty existence without the respect of Kryties.

I don't believe state-sanctioned execution is fair. What would be more fair would be to let the families of murder victims have a few hours with the convicted alone to do what they wanted, how they wanted. That's the most fair option for everyone.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying mate, I really do. There are so many intricacies to the matter of punishment that we could sit here all year discussing them and not even scratch the surface.

In the end it comes down to this for me - death is the easy way out. That criminal gets a pass off spending the rest of his time locked up - and in my case if the blokes who had tried to kill me had have been put to death I would be sitting here with an empty hole in my heart wishing they were still alive and suffering punishment in jail for many many years.

I don't disagree. Personally I think the solution is to have the person, if convicted, provide labor of some sort to work off their debt to those whose lives were negatively affected by their actions. That seems to be the most reasonable solution. Though if it's treated as cheap labor it ends up having a wider economic impact in that it drives down the value of other laborers. So they'd have to be given a fair salary in line with what other workers would be paid. Of course past attempts at this sort of thing always resulted in exploitation and corruption. So I'm not sure if we could ever improve it to the point where it would actually work as a viable model.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheMalefactor because: wording

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Actually, the kicker is when people realise it's actually more expensive to execute someone than to keep them locked up. Shuts the death penalty advocates right up......

Blows the money argument right out of the water and leaves the shotgun-toting psychopaths realing and searching for other excuses to justify their beloved death penalty.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing that to the table. So what is the social and psychological cost to the families of the victims knowing their loved one's murderer gets amenities that they may not even get? Which is the worst cost there, huh Mother Teresa?

Blows the money argument right out of the water and leaves the kollectivist sociopaths reeling (illiteracy is bad, mmmkay?) and searching for other excuses to justify their beloved "life without parole".

/TOA

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join