It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Further off-topic posts, posts that focus on other members, or posts that do not meet ATS rules for Civility and Decorum will be removed. Please stay on topic and help make ATS the best place on the Internet for discussion.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Okay folks... please play nice...

I know this is a heated subject but we are all adults here... so lets not digress to childish name calling ...
Let me remind too... Many times here at ATS I find mainstream media quoting our comments and threads...
so don't write something to shame us here okay...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by caladonea

I do have compassion for the disabled....but....he did kill 2 people and paralyze a third.....even a six year old knows that is wrong.....he needs to be punished.

Not one person in this thread has stated that the man does not deserve punishment. I wish the advocates would stop deflecting the issue using that lie.

The last sentence you typed....I do not understand.....I was stating my opinion.. I have a right to do so....I get the feeling you think your are superior to most people....I'm just saying.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Slightly off-topic but I would like to apologise for my part in the off-topic posts and attacking members. I have been a member here for a long time and should know better than to resort to that.

The Death Penalty is a topic that strikes very close to my heart. It shames me immensely to see the complete disregard for human life and true and right justice by those who advocate it. Yes, the people being executed have done something horrendously wrong, but I remain steadfastly resolute that we, as human beings, should not also lower ourselves to the same level and apply vengeance where our sense of humanity should prevail.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by linux2216
Why is IQ used to determine eligibility for the death penalty? It should be easy enough to fail an IQ test on purpose, shouldn't it? Hell, if they gave me one of those tests and I was up for sentencing for something heinous I wouldn't be able to get any of the answers right!

I'm from Texas and in Texas we have the death penalty and we use it. That's right, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. That's our policy. Right now there's a bill in the Texas legislature that would speed up the execution process of those convicted of a heinous crime with more than three credible witnesses. If more than three people saw you do what you did you don't sit on death row for 15 years Jack, you go straight to the front of the line. Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state's puttin in an express lane.

--Ron White, Comic

In the heat of the battle we may have missed the best post yet.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Hey # happens & you have shown your beleif. There likely is no right answer for this but like the mod said it's best to keep things professional but sometimes it's hard when there is a topic which much debate.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacofunk64
reply to post by Kryties

There likely is no right answer for this but like the mod said it's best to keep things professional but sometimes it's hard when there is a topic which much debate.

I see no gray area between vengeance and justice.

Evidence has turned up in many cases that would instigate a death row pardon, but it was already too late. The State uses the death penalty to kill off its problems and sometimes in arbitration, and the reconciliation for such mistakes is a joke at best. One of these instance should have been enough for any rational legal body to abolish the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
this guy killed 2 people.

send him to his death, and save the taxpayer some money. or is his life more important than those that are already lost?

some of these overly sensitive comments sicken me to my very core. its ok for him to cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in accomodations, but not ok for him to receive what it is he dished out.

i dont care how dumb or smart you are. you kill someone, you deserve to die.

and for those who are upset by my comment, i find your comments to be just as upsetting. you claim to care about human life, but not the lives of the families destroyed all because you cant stomach the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

While I can see the problems that arise from an execution of someone who is disabled and the problems which arise from any execution....I beleive someonw ith an 8th grade education knows it is wrong to kill. The disabilities are apparently from continued drug abuse and self inflicted.

I am unfaniliar with the facts of his crime however if you understand that a gun and how it works and you carry one then yopu are capable of drawing the conclusion that it will maim or kill and that is enough evidence to me to dismiss concerns over his disabilities.

The other issues which arise from any execution also come into play but I am not sure if I have evolved enough to just forgive and forget that 2 people are dead and another is now disabled

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'll be willin to bet he's a poor black man, railroaded by some hog jawed, grand dragon sheriff. How many innocent men and women have been executed in Texas? An eye for an eye an a tooth for a tooth, soon nobody can see or chew your brisket Bobby Joe. Peace

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
I'll be willin to bet he's a poor black man, railroaded by some hog jawed, grand dragon sheriff. How many innocent men and women have been executed in Texas? An eye for an eye an a tooth for a tooth, soon nobody can see or chew your brisket Bobby Joe. Peace

Easy now, these are real Christian values pushed by Jesus and argued only by the Jews who called him a blasphemer. Don't want to side with Jesus, now, you'll get the "Moral South Christians" angry and start quoting Jewish Law.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

so what if hes black? you seem to forget he committed murder.

the mean 'ol rayciss white man argument is getting really old.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm sure I'm about to sound like an ogre to some of you...

Even most 8th graders know shooting someone is wrong. The fact is that this man killed two people and crippled another, why should he be exempt from his punishment? Honestly, I think this is a better route than just keeping him around as a burden on the system and it's doubtful he'd ever contribute much to society anyhow.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here are some quick facts on mental Illness
Quick Facts

Mental illness is defined as "Any of various conditions characterized by impairment of an individuals normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by social, psychological, biochemical, genetic, or other factors, such as infection or head trauma."

Since 1983, over 60 people with mental illness or retardation have been executed in the United States.
It is conservatively estimated that 5-10% of death row inmates suffer from serious mental illness.

Research has shown that nearly all Death Row inmates suffer from brain damage due to illness or trauma, while a vast number have also experienced histories of severe physical and/or sexual abuse.

Mental illness is not only a problem on Death Row. In 1998, the Bureau of Justice Statistics estimated that 283,000 mentally ill individuals were incarcerated in U.S. jails and prisons.

Legislation has been passed barring the execution of juvenile or mentally retarded individuals. While it is unconstitutional to execute the insane, those suffering from other or lesser mental illnesses are insufficiently protected under the law.
www.aclu.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

As for this young man... the only reason he is not exempt is he was convicted before this new law was passed

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
As I am sure it has been said before in this post, a low IQ should NOT be deemed a disability. Being stupid is not the same as being mentally retarded/disabled. If you can function in daily life as a part of society with no outside help, then you are not disabled in any way, shape, or form.

The man killed 2 people and paralyzed a third. That's more than enough to execute him.

That's just my 2 cents and I stand by it. If this offends you I will not apologize as I am sure some of your opinions will offend me. I'm tired of this politically correct crap. I'm not here to make you feel all better, and vice versa.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by LadySkadi

from you source...

Such judicial adherence sends a message that the mentally ill would do better to refrain from taking risk-creating actions, unless they exercise a heightened degree of self-restraint and precaution, if they intend to avoid liability.

obviously this man has an impulse control problem... to add to his already lengthy list of problems.... so then we have to ask at what point is he incapable of making those types of decisions ...to refrain from taking risk-creating actions????

That impulse control problem left other people dead. If you want to take this further, why should someone with such issues have access to a gun? Unless I've missed it, there is nothing to say it was gained illegally, which means someone with known issues was given something that is designed for nothing other than injuring/killing. You can't slice bread with a gun, you don't hammer nails in with a gun (unless you're a little strange), you shoot things with a gun. Don't you have any screening policies in place in America before handing out a gun? Or does that affect constitutional rights? I'm sorry if that seems a little stark, but hey, there ya go.

ETA: If this had been a murder where the guy used a hammer or a knife, and given the reasons for the murders isn't known (apologies if I missed it) that would be one thing. To have access to a gun and know how to use it is another, surely.

If you are in a society that has easy access to guns, not through black market means but through commercial means, and if you also are in a society that will execute you if you use a gun to kill others then........ the words reap and sow come to mind.
edit on 22-6-2011 by something wicked because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Praise the Lord! Y'all actin like law an order in the southwest is fair and righteous all the time. It ain't! Gotta close the case on somebody. Might as well be some poor, simple black man who caint afford no lawyer, en buy off no Judge. Some poor ole boy too simple to defend for hisself. I know how it goes first hand. Hung up my guns an took off my badge sum time ago. Still proud of what I done. I never arrested no innocent man. Brought em back for a fair trial an if they hanged, they hanged. Some feller's aint as particular as I wuz. That's alright cause the Lord's gonna set it all right in the end. Y'all shouldn't be so damn naieve.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Anti-abortionists whom are pro-death penelty:

Would you support use of a time machine to go back and abort this person?

Just one of those philosophical questions

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join