It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Texas set to execute man despite possible mental disability

www.reuters.com

A man convicted of fatally shooting two people and paralyzing a third near Houston in 1998 is scheduled to be executed in Texas on Tuesday despite evidence that he is mentally disabled.

Milton Mathis, 32, has mental disabilities that should exempt him from the death penalty, according to officials who say he should be spared the death penalty. He was sentenced in 1999, before a Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to execute inmates with mental disabilities.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.internationaljusticeproject.org

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Before I make my comments there is one more part of this story I want you to read.

Mathis, who had an eighth-grade education when he was convicted, has scored in the low 60s on several IQ tests - including a 62 on a test administered by the state's prison system, according to an essay on the Stand Down Texas website by Mark White, a former Texas governor who opposes Mathis' execution. Stand Down Texas supports a death penalty moratorium in Texas.

Psychology experts have routinely put the standard for mental disabilities around a 70 IQ and lower.

so this man has an IQ of around 62 but there is one tidbit more...

"his current cognitive functioning appears to be a function of drug use . . ."

The American Association on Mental Retardation ("AAMR") defines mental retardation as: (1) sub-average general intellectual functioning (i.e., an IQ of approximately 70 to 75 or below) that exists concurrently with (2) related limitations in two or more adaptive skill areas (communication, self-care, home living, social skills, community use, self-direction, health and safety, functional academics, leisure, and work), and (3) onset before the age of eighteen.

According to the AAMR definition of mental retardation, the diagnostic features must be exhibited which characterize mental retardation prior to the age of 18. A collection of evidence points to the fact that the requisite diagnostic features were exhibited by Mathis long before he turned 18.

So let me ask everyone here...
is it fare and just... to condemn then execute a man who in all likelihood have no real understanding that what he did was wrong???

is it wrong to try and sentence a man who's "cognitive functioning" is only achieved threw medication????

Don't get me wrong here ... there are times where I believe the death penalty is warranted... but I have very bad vibe with this one...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
this is just wrong. but, this is texas! to quote robin williams in his live on broadway "shoot, we can no longer execute the handicapped? well, where is the fun in that?"

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This guy is dangerous and he may harm other people, As for the death sentence I'm not really sure I support it in most cases and this seems to be one of them.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Without commenting on capital punishment - let me just ask this: If the man in question has been shown to have an 8th grade education and it was or can be shown that a person of 8th grade education does understand what murder (or related crime) is, should the person be held accountable?

Reasonable person

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Tough one. Spare him because he didn't know any better? One side of me says put him down like a dog. Damaged goods. FUBARed. Whats the point of him living a drugged up life at the expense of taxpayers like the ones he killed?
The other side of me says that if he has family that loves him and helps him and he never has a chance to do it again, let him live. I say let the victim's families decide. Fair enough?
Yeah, I know I can be an insincere prick sometimes, but never dishonest.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You do know I can counter with the thousands of people who finish all 12 years of high school yet cannot read a single word... to often our education system is bent on just getting them on to the next school system so they will become another persons problem while never addressing the underlying problems..

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yes, I understand the counter - but that is not how the bar is set (in my example). The bar is set at what can be reasonably expected of the majority in the "peer category" and that is where the argument is made with regards to understanding one's actions and the consequences of those actions.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatitanimulli

You and me both...
Ask anyone who knows me... Prick

but like you this one have me torn..
I like to think of myself as reasonable and intelligent but in this single case I have no clear answer...

all I can say is I'm damn glad I wasn't on the jury or we'd still be working it out

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

from you source...

Such judicial adherence sends a message that the mentally ill would do better to refrain from taking risk-creating actions, unless they exercise a heightened degree of self-restraint and precaution, if they intend to avoid liability.

obviously this man has an impulse control problem... to add to his already lengthy list of problems.... so then we have to ask at what point is he incapable of making those types of decisions ...to refrain from taking risk-creating actions????

link   
He knew what a gun was and how to use it. I don't care whats wrong with the guy, If you willingly take a life when yours was not threatened then you deserve what ever you have coming to you.

link   
I definitely believe the man should be held accountable, but is a consequence of death rather too harsh? In my personal experience mental health issues are akin to being brainwashed in an inappropriate way from birth by parents, teachers and society and this leads to eating disorders, alcohol and drug abuse in order to ease the pain that we dont understand. Most people with these issues implode however some do explode, and these explosions can result in death of others. I dont really know what the right answer is - an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth? or two wrongs dont make a right? Has this guy shown any remorse, does he understand what he has done? On the surface the sentence appears severe but without knowing the full story I would not presume to hold a definite position.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Without commenting on capital punishment - let me just ask this: If the man in question has been shown to have an 8th grade education and it was or can be shown that a person of 8th grade education does understand what murder (or related crime) is, should the person be held accountable?

In a word, yes. But I don't see what an 8th grade education has anything to do with knowing right from wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

You do know I can counter with the thousands of people who finish all 12 years of high school yet cannot read a single word... to often our education system is bent on just getting them on to the next school system so they will become another persons problem while never addressing the underlying problems..

There are thousands of stories of successful people who never got past 8th grade, or lower. Grade level has zip to do with right or wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
A major part of this story is Governor Rick Perry, who can stop this murder with a phone call. He won't do it. If he's being groomed as the GOP candidate or VP candidate then he must prove that he can be cold-blooded. Killing a retarded wrongdoer by not lifting a finger, it's like shooting a deer, it takes a person with no heart to allow it to happen or to pull the trigger on a woodland animal. Heartlessness is needed in the oval office, it's a long-tradition and is required to get the backing needed to serve there. Gotta feel sorry for the poor retarded murderer, as well as for the poor guy that's going to be executed for his own crime.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

No its not, for crimes relate to intent of heart. Also retaliation such as murdering someone who has broken various laws including murder, is also a crime to me, and its very cold blooded.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Business as usual in Texas...

archives.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

your very right.. lots of successful people never made it past grade school... my own uncle was one of those... had to quit school to take care of his mom and siblings.. my own mother was one of those sibs... sure it was tough on him still he came to be a well liked and respected land developer... he also did not have an IQ of only 62

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm not comfortable sending this young man to the death chamber for a number of reasons. If this kid has problems dealing with functions like dressing himself...failed 1st, 5th and 8th grade.........are these witnesses 110% sure this kid committed this crime? Jailed inmates' witness testimony quite often has more holes than cheese.

Is there a link to the court papers and testimonies?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I do not approve of capital punishment at all, we do not live in the dark ages anymore. If this man was proven to be mentally handicapped, he should be put in a medium security psychiatric prison for the the rest of his life.

And for all those who think that is not a good enough punishment and death is, I pity you. As long as our idea of justice is vengeance that meme will continue to spread though out countless generations and continue to corrupt us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join