It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM says we CAN defend ourselves against burglars without being prosecuted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

PM says we CAN defend ourselves against burglars without being prosecuted

www.dailymail.co.u k

The Prime Minister today assured homeowners that they will not be prosecuted for defending themselves against intruders as he outlined proposed changes to the criminal justice system.
David Cameron said those who use ‘reasonable force’ to protect their families would not face the ordeal of being hauled through the courts themselves.
Although the current law allows a similar provision, the Premier said he would clarify which defence actions would be legal and which not.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
About effing time.

We've all read the horror stories in the past of people defending their property only to be found guilty of aggravated assault etc. Resulting in prosecution and heavy sentences worse than the burglars breaking into their homes, who often get off without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Well it looks at though the first steps are in place to change some of the more farcical elements of the British legal system. This being just one example.

Other proposals which have been rejected are those suggesting we make it standard practice to reduce sentences for those who plead guilty. Not at the discretion of a judge and jury of peers.

Makes sense to me, but I'll believe it when I see it. However in regards to defending your home there is also that tricky issue of 'reasonable force.' The perception of which is as varied as a packet of gourmet jelly beans.

www.dailymail.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To add few words.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I just hope that Canada follows suit and does the same thing. We can't defend ourselves in our own homes !!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
About time... Hopefully this branches out to Australia too.

Some very silly laws are floating about. For instance, a burglar broke into a house and in the process fell from a high place and hurt himself, ended up taking the family of the house he broke into to court and won... Don't ask for links or sources, i just remember seeing it somewhere.
edit on 21-6-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
WOW! Well bless his little heart!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

I'll have a search and see if I can find the story.

I also like the idea of making squatting illegal. There are some horror stories about that aswell. The current system seems completely illogical.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Whats "Reasonable force"? When the government makes a mockery of protesting rights and soldiers that live in piss poor conditions I'd wait and find out what this means before clocking an intruder.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder what influenced this decision. (Not to sound too paranoid, but there must be some reason, even if its just better public opinion)

Was there a large outcry from the public lately over this? It'd be nice to see an instance of people raising their voices about an issue like this and getting what they need.

Edit to say, I just saw the crowd-pleasing part, and the bit about diverting attention away from some political bickering. Well, I'd still like to think that the public rose up and demanded this, but maybe it ain't so.
edit on 21-6-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaBetaGammaX
I wonder what influenced this decision. (Not to sound too paranoid, but there must be some reason, even if its just better public opinion)

Was there a large outcry from the public lately over this? It'd be nice to see an instance of people raising their voices about an issue like this and getting what they need.

How about just plain old conservative logic kicking in and handing back the god given right to defend yourself to the citizen ???

Here in Canada it's illegal to defend yourself in your home.....Thing is....I'm a bit cruel...I'd never report the break in in the first place and they would never find the body of the intruder so......I guess I'd still manage quite well !!! lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well ever since the public protested and complained about a farmer who killed a burglar by using a shotgun and the one who escaped successfully managing to claim compensation due to trauma and injuries sustained in escaping this "madman" defending his home (under the Tony Blair leadership naturally), it's been an issue of homeowners wanting to protect their property and families without being locked up in jail like the farmer was wrongfully.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

That incident seems to have been the main driving force behind the movement. Which may have actually discredited itself by choosing such an example. Maybe that's why it's taken so long to get things moving?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
what a load of bull. i bet the first person who actually shoots somebody for breaking and entering willl be thrown in jail, and fined heavily.. good post though, still it wouldn't change my actions if it occurred to me. somebody would get their hands cut off with a katana, regardless.

BTW op nice pic. i also agree and am against this "holy" war.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Rekrul because: miss spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You need a law for this? I thought it was common sense, but then again common sense was never that common, eapecially with the government.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There will be bodies all over the place
Heroin addicts will be a thing of the past, when they all start turning up dead trying to rip some one off to get their fix. The govt would do better to stop the growing of opium, in the Afghan. Its gone up 600% since we invaded Afghanistan. And as most crimes are drug related so the govt say, then it would make more sense.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Ha, Dave "hug-a-hoody" is saying this? I beg to differ...There are still stories of burglars who try to steal from a house, end up getting injured in the process by objects lying around, then have the nerve to sue (& win) the person who they had robbed!

Seriusly makes me sick to the bone.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

What influenced this decision ? the fact that he is a vile thatcherite media whore and he wants the populist vote.
Like all of them he will say and do anything do get votes. if that means selling lies or sacrificing lives on the front line, its all in a days work mate.
he is a polititian.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

True all of that, it wouldnt surprise me if he starts spurting out more useful sh*t like this & then we see none of it come into fruition.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Woot! There's got to be a catch though. My place was once broken into and nothing was nicked, or left..was bizarre, they were lucky that I was out. They probably saw the mess and thought it wasn't worth risking a broken neck falling over something lol. Glad there's finally a bit of sense. But I'm thinking its only cos the prisons are full

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder

How about just plain old conservative logic kicking in and handing back the god given right to defend yourself to the citizen ???

Here in Canada it's illegal to defend yourself in your home.....Thing is....I'm a bit cruel...I'd never report the break in in the first place and they would never find the body of the intruder so......I guess I'd still manage quite well !!! lol

They just passed a law of late here in Ohio...... if someone is in your home, a stranger, you can open fire. If its nidnight and someone comes in without knocking....bam!. Critics warned that the law could lead to murders commited under the claim.....someone could get set up. They passed it any way. So far no claims of this that I am aware of. Naturaly the cops take a good look at these case to be sure thier was no connection between the living and the dead...ect ect. Thing is though you dont have to call the cops.....not that to many did anyway. lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

Your war on drugs is a way bigger problem than the OP. which (if your wondering) needs to stop. its pointless and a waste of my money, and completely unagreeable

top topics

<<   2 >>

join