It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer Solstice at Stonehenge – in Pictures:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Revellers celebrate summer solstice at Stonehenge. The festival, which dates back thousands of years, celebrates the longest day of the year when the sun is at its maximum elevation. Druids and crowds gather at the landmark site on 21 June to watch the sun rise on the first morning of summer

Tens of thousands of revellers gather at Stonehenge

A druid prays for peace during incantations at the summer solstice ceremony

Druid Tia Daisy, 25, from Seattle, joins revellers around the ancient stone circle

Revellers cheer as the sun finally breaks through the clouds more than a couple of hours after sunrise

Source: www.guardian.co.uk...#/?picture=375971727&index=0

Okay, I'll be honest. I want to be there and do this some year. Looks like a good time.

But, I think the whole Pegan thing has been overtaken by the hippies and younger people-without a clue or care about Druids (IMO).

And, what is up with these Druids. Any ATSers with some first hand knowledge that can fill us in on them. Even been to this event?

I am hoping one of our own was there and has there own pics they can share.

That would pretty funny if a HUGE UFO showed up and started picking people from from Crowd. Like the guy and girl in the pics. lol

Well anyway, for us that will most likely never attend the event, there you go and I leave you this parting shot:

Source: apod.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
My one question is this:

With all the talk about lately about the sun being misaligned...
Did it rise exactly where it was supposed to?
Or was it off a few degrees?

That's my question.
(rhetorical slightly)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

That would pretty funny if a HUGE UFO showed up and started picking people from from Crowd. Like the guy and girl in the pics. lol
For some reason, this statement along with the expressions of the guy and girl, made me laugh uncontrollably. It just really struck me as HAHA funny!

Thanks for the pics-- made me wish I were there!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Beautiful.

Here's a few things to look at:

Order of the Arrow

www.druidry.org...

List of Global Druidic Organizations

I was lucky enough to be initiated into the Order of the Arrow while in Boy Scouts, however, at that stage in my life, I pretty much hated being in Boy Scouts but was forced to be in it by my parents. I basically was a "class clown" of the troop, and because of it the other kids thought I was "cool" and voted me, along with a few others, in. I haven't really looked at their web site, but after you're voted in, if you're interested in joining, you have to go thru a series of tests... such as fasting for several days, doing a specific number of hours work (in my case they had us doing gardening), and wilderness survival played an important role; we were required to go out into the woods (where we had never been before), with nothing other than a few very basic items.. then build our own shelter and camp there for a few days, 3.. if I remember correctly.

While being part of it, I also learned the legend of the "White Buffalo", which is very interesting in itself and probably on these forums somewhere if you dig around.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I t hink you make a good point.

If the Earth was off it's norm a bit you would thing the Sun Worshipers would notice something amiss.

All is well, move along.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Great pictures thanks for sharing ... my daughter is down there to celebrate the Litha Sabbat, so I was looking closely at the images to see if I could spot her

Druids are into the Sun ... whilst Witches (like myself) are influenced by the energy and cycles of the Moon ... but you don't have to be a Druid to celebrate the Solstice ... we Witches refer to it as Litha (means the same thing).

And I agree to some extent that the New-Age movement and week-end hippies have taken over a lot of the ancient Pagan festivals and celebrations because it's all quite trendy at the moment ... shame really because people who aren't into it and don't understand the tradition see them and tend to think we're all a load of weirdo's

Woody

edit on 21-6-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

A Blessed Litha to you Woody!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I wish I was there for Litha! The pictures look so beautiful with all the people/Druids there!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thank you so very much for posting this OP..!!!!

There is something very magical about that place.

I have often thought that magic was once very much a part of our lives and that we were so obsessed with the science of everything that we lost our ability to see the magic in our world..

Great Thread!!!

Semper
edit on 6/21/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Interesting. See if she got any pics or video.

The wife saw the thread and now.... it's on our list of things to do someday.... (Bucket List)

Wasn't the picture of the one young lady so telling? (make sure you slide the bar at the bottom of the pic all the way to the right to get the whole picture) Her eyes told me she is a believer in something. And the guy in the pic above her.... (which reminds me of "Tim the Enchanter who can creat fire without flint of tinder"
(which Monty Pyton's Holy Grail is a Classic movie... trust me)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d9faccf77f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks for sharing your side of things also.

I think you should do a thread on witches.... a real good one. The wife and I would enjoy that. Think about it.

I'm glad the rest of you are enjoying the thread. I am still holding out for an ATSer to come through with vids/pics and stories!!!
edit on 6/21/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I really hate when I see people using the term new-age like it's bad that there is change... or weekend hippie like it's easy to separate from the system.

Maybe it's that so called new agers & weekend hippies are people that feel a pulling to these types of events & lifestyles, but they find themselves caught in the middle of trying to get out of the system. The way I see it, it's the job of the older members of such ways of life to teach, guide & direct these new-comers into their way of thinking & help them shed their old way of thinking, help them sever themselves from the system.

And maybe it's not trendy, maybe it's just a return to what's nature, felt in everyone's consciousness.
edit on 21-6-2011 by SeeingBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
My one question is this:

With all the talk about lately about the sun being misaligned...
Did it rise exactly where it was supposed to?
Or was it off a few degrees?

That's my question.
(rhetorical slightly)

that's exactly what i was thinking, our axis has shifted at least a half dozen inches due to the recent major earthquakes, this is not new news.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
I really hate when I see people using the term new-age like it's bad that there is change... or weekend hippie like it's easy to separate from the system.

Maybe it's that so called new agers & weekend hippies are people that feel a pulling to these types of events & lifestyles, but they find themselves caught in the middle of trying to get out of the system. The way I see it, it's the job of the older members of such ways of life to teach, guide & direct these new-comers into their way of thinking & help them shed their old way of thinking, help them sever themselves from the system.

And maybe it's not trendy, maybe it's just a return to what's nature, felt in everyone's consciousness.
edit on 21-6-2011 by SeeingBlue because: (no reason given)

This is true and I'm sorry if my words offended ... but the umberella of 'New-Age' is unfortunately where the charlatans also hang out and they do untold damage to the Craft and Pagans everywhere whether that be the Old Ways or the Neo-Pagan ... surely you understand the frustration that leaves when it casts a shadow over the genuine folk ?

Woody

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

A Blessed Litha to you Woody!

Same to you my friend.

Brightest Blessings. Woody

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Interesting. See if she got any pics or video.

The wife saw the thread and now.... it's on our list of things to do someday.... (Bucket List)

Wasn't the picture of the one young lady so telling? (make sure you slide the bar at the bottom of the pic all the way to the right to get the whole picture) Her eyes told me she is a believer in something. And the guy in the pic above her.... (which reminds me of "Tim the Enchanter who can creat fire without flint of tinder"
(which Monty Pyton's Holy Grail is a Classic movie... trust me)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d9faccf77f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks for sharing your side of things also.

I think you should do a thread on witches.... a real good one. The wife and I would enjoy that. Think about it.

I'm glad the rest of you are enjoying the thread. I am still holding out for an ATSer to come through with vids/pics and stories!!!

Gotta love the 'Python'

I may well do a thread on Witches but at the moment I have my hands full with my Tarot thread (I created a monster
)

>>>The Tarot - Your Card Of The Day by Woodwytch

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Your not really alone here at ATS.

My faith is that of my ancestors, am descended from Norse-Gaels and still practice their faith of Celi De. How ever I have adopted the Celtic faith of the Draoi, and am a true re creationist in the traditional sense of practicing.

In jr high I was versed in college theology and world religions, so I am familiar with the worlds faiths. I have been on this path since was 9. Am over three decades young now, so this thread is one I know many do appreciate.

It is good to see tradition thriving in the world of today.

Neart inar lamha, Firinne ar a'r dTeanga, Glaine inar gcroi.

Le meas

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Well Met & Bright Blessings.

Woody

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by anon72

Great pictures thanks for sharing ... my daughter is down there to celebrate the Litha Sabbat, so I was looking closely at the images to see if I could spot her

Druids are into the Sun ... whilst Witches (like myself) are influenced by the energy and cycles of the Moon ... but you don't have to be a Druid to celebrate the Solstice ... we Witches refer to it as Litha (means the same thing).

And I agree to some extent that the New-Age movement and week-end hippies have taken over a lot of the ancient Pagan festivals and celebrations because it's all quite trendy at the moment ... shame really because people who aren't into it and don't understand the tradition see them and tend to think we're all a load of weirdo's

Woody

I am sorry, but whats is the difference between a Druid/Witch and Hippies exactly? They all look the same, sound the same, act the same, believe the same...

Second.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

reply to post by anon72

Woody

I am sorry, but whats is the difference between a Druid/Witch and Hippies exactly? They all look the same, sound the same, act the same, believe the same...

What I don't get is what they get out of this. Worshipping something like the sun seems pointless to me, doing it or not doing it makes no difference to how the universe works...

Second.
edit on 21-6-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan

reply to post by anon72

Woody

Second.

Spoken like a true 'know nothing'. You've clearly been hanging around with the wrong crowd otherwise you would never make such a naive or sweeping statement

Woody

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join