It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lulzsec claim to have access to UK census data.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
www.channel4.com...

Since the mods have thought it wise to trash my first thread. Here it is again.

A 19-year-old suspected of helping mastermind an international computer hacking ring has been arrested in Essex, as Channel 4 News learns the mystery group may have targeted the 2011 UK Census.

The teenager was detained in Wickford following a joint operation by the FBI and Scotland Yard, sources said.

LulzSec, which has previously claimed attacks on computers at the CIA, Sony and the NHS, is now being linked to an alleged breach of 2011 UK Census data. The census database hold details of every UK citizen who filled out the survey earlier this year.

An online posting, claiming to be from the group, says "we have blissfully obtained records of every single citizen who gave up their records to the security-illiterate UK government for the 2011 census".

It seems the fears of many who questioned the census have come true.

Does anyone have any further information regarding this, anyone?

Here's some more links (assuming an over-zealous moderator doesn't decide to censor me again)

thenextweb.com...
edit on 21-6-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

www.theregister.co.uk...

www.pistonheads.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.metro.co.uk...

forum.davidicke.com...

It seems to be all over the web now, but no actual proof.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
As I mentioned, many, many people had fears about the new census. And it seems some of the fears may have been founded in truth, as the hacktivists Lulzsec have now claimed they have all the data and are keeping it under 'lock and key'.

Yet the authorities threatened every UK citizen with a £1000 fine if they refused to fill it in. Makes you wonder eh?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Hahahah this is classic, just the reason iam not on any census
& recieved no fine. Ahh smells like... Freedom !

I was under the impression than you arent legally obligied to fill this document in, if they want to try and fine me go ahead, My door will never be open, nor will i pay any fines for protecting my own identity.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Lockheed responsible for UK census
www.lockheedmartin.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Lulzsec, and anonymous, seem more and more like terrorists to me. They cannot justify stealing personal information as being for the "just cause". That is BS.

vvv

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It seems (from what i've read) - that this information was discovered during the arrest of a UK hacker.

www.pcpro.co.uk...

"Searches at a residential address in Wickford, Essex, following the arrest last night have led to the examination of a significant amount of material," the statement added. "These forensic examinations remain ongoing."

So, either this kid has spilled the beans, or the authorities are panicking and trying to sift through the information and come to a conclusion.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

As far as I know they can't prosecute you, unless you allow them to interview you under caution and admit not filling the census in. So the best thing is not to communicate with them at all.

I always thought the census was just a way of conditioning us to get use to increased snooping and obediently surrendering personal info. Also you have no guarantees about what happens to the info, despite what the politicians in the nice suits say.....as this story illustrates.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Why are they wasting their time with such boring crap as the UK census details?

They seem to be a smart and capable group - why arent they doing whatt Gary Mckinnon (sp?) couldn't do and hack the US sites looking for UFO info??

Seems like a waste of talent to me...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
from the article

"We're keeping them under lock and key though... so don't worry about your privacy (...until we finish re-formatting them for release.)"

and

the group posted several messages about the site being targeted "in the name of #AntiSec" and said that "later we'll unleash fire on multiple targets".

what are their targets? or is it just added properganda from channel 4? if not everybody in the u.k. could be a target, and the wording does imply wording that could be linked to terror tactics, "unleash fire on mutiple targets".

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

From the news article link you posted,

The arrest raises speculation that the accused hacker is part of either Anonymous or LulzSec, both of which have targeted the UK Government, knocking the Serious Organised Crime Agency's site offline earlier this week.

U.K. Police Report content.met.police.uk

Seems it's all just speculation for now, and the teenager is not currently linked to either group just yet.

edit on 6/21/2011 by digitalbluco because: better wording

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I guess if they do release the data once they have reformatted it, then it'll create the monster (British public) seeking censor that those at the top want to impose on the net..

I for one can say I thought this would happen... not a fear, just felt like a certainty when the data was to be handed to Lockheed.

Smells like a setup to me...

I guess by default this includes the USA as this was an American company being targeted.. so no escape for anyone on either side of the pond if this turns out to be real.
edit on 21/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Just for an opposing viewpoint:

'No evidence' that LulzSec has hacked UK Census
13:08 21 June 2011

www.newscientist.com...

Reports that the hacking group LulzSec have stolen millions of records from the UK 2011 Census are being investigated, the UK's Office for National Statistics (ONS) said this afternoon.

"We are aware of the suggestion that census data has been accessed. We are working with our security advisers and contractors to establish whether there is any substance to this. The 2011 Census places the highest priority on maintaining the security of personal data. At this stage we have no evidence to suggest that any such compromise has occurred."

Could all just be a fear-inducing attempt to scare the population of the UK, but who knows yet?

Would love to hear an official statement.

--

twitter.com...#!/lulzsec

Absolutely nothing on Lulzsec twitter about this claim yet. Besides boasts of more hackers and hacktivists joining together.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, i think that we need tighter regulations on the internet because of this new found "terrorist attack"

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Lulzsec, and anonymous, seem more and more like terrorists to me. They cannot justify stealing personal information as being for the "just cause". That is BS.

vvv

They are terrorists. And they are pacifists. They are leaders and followers. They are nameless and anonymous.

They are here and there. Active and passive. Dedicated and fleeting. Boastful and meek.

But, they are not in a dictionary.

one day people will grasp the concept.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Ok from what i gather - this is the source of the claim:

http:///K1nerhk0

We have blissfully obtained records of every single citizen who gave their records to the security-illiterate UK government for the 2011 census

and also linked in the page is:

lulzsecurity.com...

We don't like the US government very much. Their boats are
weak, their lulz are low, and their sites aren't very secure.
In an attempt to help them fix their issues, we've decided
to donate additional lulz in the form of owning them some more!

This is a small, just-for-kicks release of some internal data
from Senate.gov - is this an act of war, gentlemen? Problem?

- Lulz Security

Which seems to be info relating to the US senate.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Also found this quote very interesting:

Rik Ferguson, director of security research at Trend Micro, said: “No details are included in the statement regarding how the information was obtained, but the messages posted so far seem to indicate a leak rather than an intrusion or hack.

A Leak???? Surely a leak is worse for security than an actual hack, as it suggests complicity in the authorities? Stay tuned, i'm digging through as much info as I can now...

www.scmagazineuk.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
there was a thread where someone did some research into lulz sec. but it's now 404'd (though the links to the threads will show up in thesearch bit) Can anyone elaborate on why this thread has been taken down? Was the info in the trhead not good, or is there another reason?. Sorry for the derail, but i was going to use the info in the thread on another forum, to show that there could possibly be some rather loose links to the CIA in lulz security......

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
there was a thread where someone did some research into lulz sec. but it's now 404'd (though the links to the threads will show up in thesearch bit) Can anyone elaborate on why this thread has been taken down? Was the info in the trhead not good, or is there another reason?. Sorry for the derail, but i was going to use the info in the thread on another forum, to show that there could possibly be some rather loose links to the CIA in lulz security......

It doesn't surprise me. It seems certain people want this information to be kept quiet. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two authorities on here are complicit in censoring such information.

This is the 2nd thread on this subject, as the first was immediately deleted by a specific moderator under very poor excuse of not enough content.

Do not let anyone censor you. If you have info then post it.

--

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I really don't understand how this is related to the 19 year old teenager who was arrested. The police have not reported anything about what they have found at the residents home yet, other than they found a significant amount of materials which remains ongoing.

The U.K. Metropolitan Police article that most websites refer to in stories about him being the lulzsec mastermind.
edit on 6/21/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by digitalbluco

I wonder if the guy arrested was - the guy Jester revealed as working for both Anon and Lulzsec?

th3j35t3r.wordpress.com...

EDIT:

No - but here's the alleged info on the guy who's been arrested:

www.thetechgame.com...=1326679/anonymous-psn-hacker-ryan-info-here.html

twitter.com...#!/exiledsurfer

twitter.com...#!/anonesc

www.guardian.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join