It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perry just today adds Texas TSA bill to special session

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
www.kxan.com...

AUSTIN (KXAN) - With just 10 days left in the special session, Gov. Rick Perry has added a new issue to the call – a controversial measure often referred to as the “anti-groping” bill. This comes after the author of the original, failed legislation made another push for his bill’s addition

I have to say I did NOT see this coming. Ive thought that this bill was already dead, but nope! It is back on.

Rep. Simpson sent a letter to Perry on June 15 (I think the 15th) that said he has the votes required to pass the bill in the senate. (The house has already unanimously voted FOR the bill the other month, which was previously named HB 1937) Lets see how many co-authors of HB 41 are. (There are only 150 House Reps in TX)

The House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee passed HB 41 unanimously last week. The bill has 112 co-authors.

The seems to be only a tiny change in this bill from the previous one.

Rep. David Simpson, R-Longview, sent a letter to Perry, hoping for a change of heart regarding House Bill 41. He wrote that the measure is needed to “protect innocent people from unreasonable searches of their person by their own government.”

Simpson changed the language of the HB 41 to give the federal government more time to respond. Instead of going into effect immediately after passage, it would allow 90 days.

Edit - Heres a video from June 18 where a citizen asks Perry about the TSA bill and tells him Patrick has enough senate votes to pass.

I wonder what happened in just these 2 days that changed his mind?

Also, I cant wait to see how crazy Alex Jones will be over this
edit on 21-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
He's probably going to run for president is what changed his mind and knows the people hate TSA so it is politically expedient.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Also, you can watch the stages of the bill

www.capitol.state.tx.us...

There are less than 10 days left of the special session, so we should see what will happen with this bill pretty soon, unless if the session gets extended (im not sure what the odds are of that happening)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I think it will probably be a "staged" fight. To make it look as if he is on the side of the people, but loses out at the last minute to "whatever". I would like to be wrong, but as wishy-washy as he's been in the past, I see this as little more than a stunt. Guess we will just have to wait and see, but frankly I expect to see an inch of rain in west Texas for every victory in the protection of our rights. Just not gonna happen.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The person who may have changed his mind was Wesley Strackbein. I'm not sure if he is the one in the video above (haven't watched it), but his anti-TSA website is tsatyranny.com...

The story about Strackbein is in this Houston Chronicle blog post: blog.chron.com...

I would like to send Mr Strackbein a big THANKS for getting Perry off his hiney.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Looks like the bill is moving somewhat fast.

www.capitol.state.tx.us...

This is what the bill has been through today, from the above site.

Recommitted to committee
Scheduled for formal meeting on . . .(I believe this meeting has already happened today.)
Considered in formal meeting
Reported favorably w/o amendment(s)
Comte report filed with Committee Coordinator
Committee report distributed - 5:50 PM (edit - this is the latest item)

Then I believe the house will vote on the bill on the 24th

Placed on General State Calendar 6/24
edit on 21-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Heres the latest from the media on this

Vote on TSA pat-down ban could come this week

The governor was reluctant to have legislators re-consider the bill in special session, that is, until he changed his mind late Monday.

In light of Perry’s sudden reversal, it is unclear if there is enough time or enough votes to ban the invasive pat-downs. The special session must be completed by the middle of next week.

And heres a pretty interesting article

wonkette.com...

Perry is under pressure from paranoid wingnut Tea Party people to prohibit TSA pat-downs, which at some point here is going to devolve into “let’s just allow people to bring guns on airplanes to stop the FURRINERS from getting on the flights.” This will be Rick Perry’s 2016 campaign platform.

Not wanting your privates touched ends up leading to everyone bringing firearms on planes? I just had a good LoL! at that article

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I hope they don't puss out this time. Surely there is ONE state willing to stand up for the rights of Americans.

SURELY

new topics

top topics

join