It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $105 Fix That Could Protect You From Copyright-Troll Lawsuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Wired.com

Call it ingenious, call it evil or call it a little of both: Copyright troll Righthaven is exploiting a loophole in intellectual property law, suing websites that might have avoided any trace of civil liability had they spent a mere $105.

That’s the fee for a blog or other website to register a DMCA takedown agent with the U.S. Copyright Office, an obscure bureaucratic prerequisite to enjoying a legal “safe harbor” from copyright lawsuits over third-party posts, such as reader comments.

There’s no better time to become acquainted with that requirement.

Founded in March, the Las Vegas-based Righthaven has begun buying out the copyrights to newspaper content of the Las Vegas Review-Journal for the sole purpose of suing blogs and websites that re-post, or even excerpt, those articles without permission. The company has settled about 60 of 160 cases for a few thousand dollars each, and plans to expand its operations to other newspapers across the country.

so does everyone have protection from this
or is it just the site owners

xploder
edit on 20-6-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
well that was the fastest thing i have ever seen
i realize i was about to paste the first few lines
and make comments
but this is the fastest i have ever seen

could i please have some detail as to why this topic or site
is a no go?

xploder

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Thats as fast as it gets...wow!

Must be some legality in it for ATS too...at least it seems that way!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

here ill try linking to to see what happens

wounder if its the link
link works
very strange

xploder

edit on 20-6-2011 by XPLodER because: edit to remove link

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Well I lucked out and got to check it out...the link worked for a second...Thanks!

I need some more time to check it out but a quick read through it was very interesting!

I don't understand why it can not be posted though...strange IMO.

Edit: Nevermind...I see it is finally up...problem solved!
edit on 21-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

sorted now
the questions i wanted to raise
1. do we as users get any protection from this
2. how can we proactivly protect ourselves from unknowingly linking to copywritten material
3. is there "disclaimers" we could use to protect ourselves from copy trolls ect
4. am i prosicutable if one of my threads has another member post a copy written video song ect

thanks in advance for the answers guys

xploder

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
thanks in advance for the answers guys

Follow our rules for using external content from other sources, and you're fine.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

thanks SO
i post quite freqently here and would like to follow any and al means of preventing
action against ATS or myself personally
i thank you sir

xploder

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Better yet. Why take it. People can phone, write in and tell them they will never comply and then spend lots of time by the countless millions doing as they see fit and refusing to comply with this man or any others BULLHORN HIS HOUSE AND THE REPRESENTATIVES IF HE SHOWS. I would never comply. Simple.

Don't bend over to NWO.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I would never comply.

There's nothing for which to "comply."

This issue does not apply to individuals.

Publishers who do not represent someone else's work as their own -- proper ethical conduct -- have no concerns.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Then why are they offering it as a fix, because if it is to fix something beyond fair use or if someone is claiming anothers work other than their own, it makes little sense. Even for a corporation. Unless its this way of protecting a corporation from inadvertently becoming pulled into something. That might be it.

Besides, I thought that this man or group that was coprighting everything and threatening people with lawsuits unless they paid up was doing so, over fair use issues.

And that a judge or court case had curtailed that, I read a thread here on that?
edit on 21-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Then why are they offering it as a fix,

No one is offering a "fix."

The article is referencing a long-standing aspect of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, that due to poor wording, has been misunderstood by many.

Operators of US web sites have the opportunity to register a "designated agent" with the Copyright Office in order to comply with the "Safe Harbor" aspect of the DMCA so that they cannot be held responsible for the user-generated content posted by others.

This does not apply to all individuals. Just those who own web sites.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What about Bloggers? I Blog on Wordpress...does the ownership of Wordpress handle that for me?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If you own a domain (having a blog is considered such) and represent someone else's work as your own, the DMCA Safe Harbor will not apply... it only applies to owners of domains that display copyrighted information that has been submitted by users or other non-employees. ATS is one example.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

ah.

no worries then.

i always link to my source of information, even when it is who showed me the link (like when i find something cool on ATS, i will post it here, then link back to the thread it came from, crediting the OP).

top topics

join