It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. soldier 're-grows leg' after pioneering injection of pig bladder hormone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The title of the article is a bit misleading because the soldier did not actually "regrow" a limb. Enemy mortar destroyed 70% of his thigh muscle - an injury that normally leads to amputation because it is skeletal muscle that ordinarily does not grow back.

However new technology was applied and it did grow back:

But a re-think in the way soldiers are treated led to the wounded warrior being injected with a growth promoting substance extracted from pig bladders.

In preparation for the operation, corporal Hernandez was made to build up the remaining 30 per cent of muscle left on the damaged thigh.

Surgeons then sliced into the thigh, placing a thin slice of a substance called extracellular matrix.

Thereby saving his limb.

Since the experimental growth hormone was used, Hernandez has regained most of the strength in his right thigh.

Out town hosts wounded warriors every year and seeing those young kids with amputated limbs is heartbreaking. Wouldn't it be great if more of them could benefit from this procedure?

daily mail

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
fantastic news for vetrans ! this is start phase of full re grows and regenerations !

terrible news for punk kids who will pretty soon won't have to worry about broken or missing limbs and do even more stupid #

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

That's awesome. I'm really glad for that young man. And I'll bet he's jumping for joy. Literally now. I was reading the comments below this story, and saw the following:

My wife survived a total Mitral valve blowout (all the cords broke loose, causing the valve to flap in the blood stream) because the doctor replaced that defective valve with a COW valve. It is supposed to last 20 years, until she's 85. What made the operation even better is that it was done using the DeVinci Surgical Robot, so she didn't need to have her Sternum split open and wired back together.

That's awesome too. S&F OP.

edit on 6/20/2011 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

health.howstuffworks.com...

There are actually quite a few stories of ECM being used successfully.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

how about stopping useless wars so no one needs these procedures to begin with?

except in case of accidents and muscular related conditions obviously

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
fantastic news for vetrans ! this is start phase of full re grows and regenerations !

terrible news for punk kids who will pretty soon won't have to worry about broken or missing limbs and do even more stupid #

What kind of a response is that? So you're saying that just because this technology exist "punk" kids will think 'Hey I'm going to go do something with high probability to dismember myself."? This isn't just about veterans, it's about anyone who's been damaged in an accident that would like to see themselves walking or grabbing again. Yes sometimes that includes kids who did something rash/dangerous and realize afterwards they made a mistake. And even if they go on to do other dangerous things, something in the back of their head will be saying "Hey remember that last time you GOT YOUR LEG CHOPPED OFF." Being dismembered like that is not an experience anyone wants to go through, regardless of whether or not the body-part can be regrown.

I suggest thinking before you speak.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I watched a doco on this stuff. It basically acts as scaffolding for the amino acid chains to regrow. I find the tech fascinating and I am very glad to see it being used for positive reasons.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Great story but why didn't you use the "Edit" feature and post it correctly on your other identical thread?
It was only a little over an hour ago you still had some time.

Anyhoo. I think it's a great development. Not just for the military but for society as a whole.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Still pretty new to this thread posting and tried to edit but kept messing up - so I started again and got disrupted by IRL stuff.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I have absolutely no idea why this stuff isn't used more often.

It was YEARS ago I read the story about the guy that grew back a part of his finger that got cutoff. This type of regeneration is something impossible with traditional reconstructive surgery, and well beyond your body's ability to heal itself.

Isn't that just incredible? This guy would have had just a little stump finger. Now he has a normal finger again.

Obviously the OP's story is much more impressive, but I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that this has been an option for a long time, yet it doesn't seem to be used that much? I just don't get it. You think something like this would become so commonplace everyone knows about it. It's not like pigs are in short supply, and what else are people going to use their bladders for? Is it that using cheap powdered pig's bladder doesn't make the medical establishment enough money compared to expensive reconstructive surgery and transplants? Hmm....

Cool, and uplifting story OP, S&F. I bet the guy in the article is extremely happy this type of thing is available, but it's sad that he needs it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If they only had this for John Bobbit.
Is it too late?

new topics

top topics

join