It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all discussions of God speculative nonsense?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Many quote God’s WORD as coming from God’s own mind somehow yet that same WORD says that God is unknowable, unfathomable and mysterious. That same WORD is full of contradictions which may help demonstrate that God truly does work in mysterious, illogical ways.

Those who say they know the mind of God, lie, if the Bible is to be believed. According to it, God is un-knowable.

Many claim a personal relationship to their God yet few will admit apotheosis.
Are you/they lying if no actual personal contact has occurred?

Are all discussions, of any God, just speculative nonsense, or can a man actually know something of God’s thinking?

Are we all just spinning our wheels in discussions.

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Why do you even need to ask. You are the greatest, as you know, do you really think anybody knows more about God than you ? Don’t you know that we are all the same and some pretend to be more cloaking themselves to impress ?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This video is one of the best i have ever seen on the subject. It starts off with a lot of talk about christianity and then goes on to some very in depth concepts about god. I found all the arguments and concepts put forward in this video very respectful and well thought out.

edit on 20-6-2011 by PheonixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Do you realize you have done 66 anti-god threads in 10 days?

What is it you really want to know? What is your point?

You don't believe in god? Or you do, and you're just mocking him, hoping he'll answer you somehow?

Because thats what kids do that lack attention. They act up and out because even bad attention is better than no attention.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Do you realize you have done 66 anti-god threads in 10 days?

Where is the rule that says Atheists can't have militant evangelicals also?

edit on 20-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yes.

No one can honestly claim to know the will of a god and if they do.. well that's hubris at it's finest.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So wait, I can envision a God that can call the known universe into existence out of nothing and create the operating laws of nature and Physics in the blink of an eye but cannot envision a way for this God to reveal Himself or get a message system to us?

Gotcha.

edit on 21-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
God is simply one part of a control construct known as religion. It has no other purpose than to distract from and dilute the day to day. It is a cynical weapon designed to seperate and belittle every man women and child on this wonderful planet of ours. NOTHING HAS CAUSED SO MUCH WAR PAIN AND SUFFERING AS RELIGION AND GOD. Oh sorry but santa aint real either. No fighting now.
All the best
Elvis
Thankyouverymuch

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

NOTHING HAS CAUSED SO MUCH WAR PAIN AND SUFFERING AS RELIGION AND GOD.

Complete bollocks.

Abortion has caused more deaths than all the wars combined.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Your obviously american. there is something hugely lacking in your countries educational systems that with all the information available to you, you still belive in a giant white man in the sky thats going to save you.
Its laughable.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Your obviously american. there is something hugely lacking in your countries educational systems that with all the information available to you, you still belive in a giant white man in the sky thats going to save you.
Its laughable.

You must be ignorant to the American Educational system.

God was kicked out of the public schools in the 1960s.

Do you deny the statistics of abortions?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

The information i alluded to regards the millenia of slaughter and deprivation caused by the exponents of your dogma.
And why should you tell a women what she can and cant do with her body? how do you know the circumstances of any given situation.

oh yea i forgot
God told you
forgive me

All the best
Elvis
Thankyouverymuch

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

That depends on your view of the universe. If you believe that we're all here as a cosmic coincidence then it's nonsense. If you believe that the universe and man's existence has a purpose then no, not nonsense. The discussion of God comes into play anytime you choose to consider the Meaning of Life.

• Where Do We Come From?
  • What Are We?
  • Where Are We Going?

• posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Greatest I am

These discussions are not "speculative" nonsense, these discussions are the sharing of ideas and opinions, and for that reason alone they are important.

To form a positive claim without sufficient evidence or reasoned logic would be speculative.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:45 AM
    link   

NOTHING HAS CAUSED SO MUCH WAR PAIN AND SUFFERING AS RELIGION AND GOD.

I think that should read "NOTHING HAS CAUSED SO MUCH WAR PAIN AND SUFFERING AS RELIGION IN THE NAME GOD."

God (in the classical sense) doesnt exist IMO , it's men who do evil in his name. That is the nature of religion. someone once said "Without religion a good man may do good things, and a bad man may do evil things. But for a good man to do evil things you need religion"

But if God did exist and the events described in the bible were true he could easily be considered very evil , sexist , unforgiving and vengeful.

edit on 21-6-2011 by PheonixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
    link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
    So wait, I can envision a God that can call the known universe into existence out of nothing and create the operating laws of nature and Physics in the blink of an eye but cannot envision a way for this God to reveal Himself or get a message system to us?

Gotcha.

As the thread-title asked: "Are all discussions of God speculative nonsense ?"

Individual, subjective speculations (and envisions) are called faith, and is nobody's business if kept as a personal thing.

When put in a social context, and especially when postulated to be universal absolute 'truths' without any valid proof, it's 'nonsense.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
    link   

Originally posted by dbates

That depends on your view of the universe. If you believe that we're all here as a cosmic coincidence then it's nonsense. If you believe that the universe and man's existence has a purpose then no, not nonsense. The discussion of God comes into play anytime you choose to consider the Meaning of Life.

• Where Do We Come From?
  • What Are We?
  • Where Are We Going?

• You are ofcourse right, and I'm glad to see, that the sadly forgotten (or ignored) aspect of 'perspective' is brought up. I'm feeling somewhat of a monomaniac, because I repeatedly have to ask people:

"OK, we disgree on the 'answers'. Let's look at the methods used for arriving at answers".

This process can ofcourse be regressed endlessly (though it practically never happens, because there's no interest or competence to do it), but it's not just an exercise in philosophy.

A VERY good end-result could be: Mankind decides epistemologically .....from pragmatism. Most people want comfort, safety and all the other (sometimes small) pleasures in life.

Special interests, like extremist ideology etc. wanting MORE than that, will just have to demonstrate the value of their ideas. Not pushing the ideology like a product needing advertisement, disregarding merits.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
    link   

Are we all just spinning our wheels in discussions.

Regards
    DL

In my opinion, no.

Sometimes there are things that make others question their beliefs, especially if both people are honest. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. That questioning is the first step in reclaiming ones freedom from the religions that stole it from them,

It's amusing at times to play with the fundies. I just wish it was more challenging. They don't like opposition. They usually take it personally.

Finally, it's a fun way to kill time.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:17 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix

The information i alluded to regards the millenia of slaughter and deprivation caused by the exponents of your dogma.
    And why should you tell a women what she can and cant do with her body? how do you know the circumstances of any given situation.

I'll stand up for what's right whether I get your applause or not, couldn't care less.

Infanticide is disgusting. One of my children is dead because of abortion.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:25 PM
    link   
    reply to post by bogomil

When put in a social context, and especially when postulated to be universal absolute 'truths' without any valid proof, it's 'nonsense'.

Just 'nonsense'? How about foolishness?

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 1:18

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join