It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules US Taxpayers, Not BP Or Transocean, Are Liable For Gulf Oil Spill Clean Up Costs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Another court system siding on the side of big business and corporations.

It's good enough for the Supreme Court, why not for lesser courts?

Even if the expense went to BP, under US tax law they can write off the losses due to this spill against taxes on profits in future years.

The corporation doesn't end up losing ANYTHING for their negligence. The only losers are the millions of shareholders in BP stock and the US taxpayer.
edit on 21-6-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well Im glad thats over!

Damn civilians! We should have been going out to these deepwater drilling facilities and shutting them down for all of those safety regulations they decided to neglect.

Its never the fault of the mega corps, billionaire bankers, corrupted government officials.

Its always easier and far safer to just blame the dumb, blind masses of robots in sheeps clothing....

Just keep taking your anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, and anti-pain drugs and you'll be fine.

Trust me, rape isnt so bad once you get used to it.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
OK, so this is about bogus state claims?

In the year since the Gulf oil spill, officials along the coast have gone on a spending spree with BP money, dropping tens of millions of dollars on gadgets and other gear — much of which had little to do with the cleanup

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 21-6-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Havent read any comments and all I can say is OMFG, talk about neglecting your responsibilities. We've stopped anymore being spilt so therefore we are not responsible for damage caused by the other oil, because once it left the well it didnt belong to us. On that basis can we all take our tankers to an open well and just fill them up, coz apparently that oil doesnt belong to them either, lol!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
America is just an experiment that is destined to end. Just as all empires before, America will fall and a new form of government will take its place. We are now in the transition stage of this process, the idea of a democratic republic has failed and now we are being morphed into a mixture of police state & corporatocracy. One controls the people and bends their opinions to favor the corporations. The other ensures that those in power continue to keep their power and money while exploiting those less fortunate.

Or maybe I'm just bat poop crazy.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Won't this ruling set a reeeeally bad precedence? It opens a lot of doors if you ask me.

Imagine this. I walk into your home with a vat of acid. I spill the 99% of the contents all over your living room. The place is melting and being destroyed. You are screaming at me to fix it, pay for the repairs. I pick the can up.

What the government is saying is, I'm not liable for the existing damage because I picked up the vat of acid and it finally stopped spilling.

WTF? So basically now any company can get away with environmental damage, so long as they eventually stop the problem???? But they aren't responsible for the repair and clean up???

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm curious..are you Americans going to stand up for this?

Just sit by while your government blatantly screws you!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In this ruling the courts logic it out by declaring that the US Gov. assumed clean-up operations and thus BP is not responsible for any failings in the clean-up operation. It of course ignores that BP was incapable of cleaning up their own spill or that BP's CEO made the following promise...ironically against company policy.

BP has taken a stab at soothing angry Americans, airing a slick, multimillion-dollar national TV spot this week in which Hayward pledges: "We will make this right." Hayward also promised BP would clean up every drop of oil and "restore the shoreline to its original state."

President Barack Obama said the money spent on the ads should have gone to cleanup and compensating devastated fisherman and small business owners.

And even those efforts violate the company's own prescription for damage control. Its own spill plan, filed last year with the federal government, says of public relations: "No statement shall be made containing any of the following: promises that property, ecology or anything else will be restored to normal."

www.wwltv.com...

This 4th of July, if your drunken neighbor launches a firework display that accidentally strikes your house and burns it to the ground, just understand that it was not your neighbors fault, it was the firemen who responded to the blaze that are liable for damages.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is pure BULL CRAP!

So it's okay for them to dump-er spill oil in our oceans and not be responsible for it?

It's okay if you're rich you can do anything!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I wonder if the taxpayer had to pay for that 8 million ton water, poluted by the tinkling guy...? He has a case now

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The Federal judge said, ""The injunction at this stage would be useless, as not only is there no ongoing release from the well ......."

So I guess once the hospital sews someone up after being shot and the blood stops flowing, there is no justification for charges of murder.

Federal = corrupt

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What was all this for then???

online.wsj.com...

And who actually gets that?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier.

Wiki'd him. A Clinton apointee.

Born 1944 in New Orleans, LA

Federal Judicial Service:
Judge, U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
Nominated by William J. Clinton on May 19, 1998, to a seat vacated by Okla Jones; Confirmed by the Senate on September 28, 1998, and received commission on October 1, 1998.

Education:
Southeastern Louisiana University, B.A., 1966
Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, J.D., 1970

Professional Career:
Law clerk, Hon. William Redman, Louisiana Court of Appeal, Fourth Circuit, 1969-1970
Law clerk, Hon. Fred Cassibry, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1970-1971
Private practice, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1971-1998

Couldn't find an email address. Wonder if he's on Facebook?
www.fjc.gov...

edit on 21-6-2011 by beezzer because: forgot source

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Not sure if tuis has been posted, I just started reading the thread, but here goes.

I think his may be the ruling spoken of in the OP:

Barbier ruled the civilian environmental claims are moot and "injury is not redressable by a citizen suit when the injury is already being redressed" by BP's ongoing cleanup efforts.

Source

Back to reading...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The conclusion that somehow BP and Transocean are somehow off the hook due to this ruling is absurd. If you read the actual ruling, you will see it is very much limited in scope.

To summarize, a group of plaintiffs sought an injunction against BP and Transocean that would prevent them from engaging in any future actions that that may be in violation of ecological and environmental laws. The problem is, as the judge points out, this injunction stems from the Deepwater Horizon incident, and is limited in scope to that well. That well is already closed up, so any injunction granted to the plaintiffs is moot.

This case had nothing to do with monetary damages or cleanup. As the judge points out, even if it did have something to do with the current cleanup process, neither BP or Transocean are in charge of that effort. The various government entities are in charge of the cleanup, and so any order the judge granted against BP or transocean would be pointless.

Though the federal government is in charge of the cleanup efforts, that does not mean BP and Transocean are not responsible for the costs incurred by the federal government. That will be decided by future lawsuits, brought by the involved parties.

So really this is no big deal, as the plaintiffs in this suit were asking the court to order something that would have zero impact on the current situation in the Gulf,
edit on 21-6-2011 by nataylor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'd imagine others have mentioned this by now, but BP set up a 20 billion dollar fund to cover damages with Obama's approval. This court decision is understandable entirely factoring that in.

My question would be, where did the 20 billion go and to whom? The 20 billion was on top of the actual clean up costs that were paid as the incident progressed.

Problem is that radicals want to destroy BP and thieves want to file false claims and I'm sure that is happening by the thousands. Many don't understand that BP is owned by the stockholders and destroying it destroys innocent peoples retirement and investments and they are for the most part ordinary working folks.

Call Obama and ask him for an accounting of the 20 billion
I'd like to see an itemized accounting sheet myself. Most of all I want to see how much Obama's people wasted on administration of the monies, funneled into Cronies pockets. Plenty I'll bet.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hey AMERICA?

Enjoy getting ANAL RAPED BY A BIG MOTHER F-------------------"CENSORED"-------

Sometimes, the only thing that feels good is headbutting the nearest politician, crooked judge, bad cop, etc. Over and over and over again until someone is choking on their own blood.

Violent? Uh yeah, but I have to vent my anger somehow, and since I'm not able to really hurt anyone in power this thread seems like the right place bitch.
edit on 21-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
BPs only cleanup effort was to cover it up, and cause health issues for those that did the work! Even a dumbass knows to wear protective gear in such a huge disaster...

Oh! And anyone asking if the USA citizens are going to stand for this or are we just going to let them screw us - you too are getting screwed, you just haven't looked around you enough.

Remember the saying 'New WORLD Order' - One World One Nation?

Of course we have to stand for this, and we will continually have to stand for this - until - We all decide to take our tails out from between our legs, and make our opinions known in places other than forums.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is all about 3rd party

So I, as a totally uninvolved third party, will NOT be receiving a fat check? The NERVE! Hmmmph!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join