It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules US Taxpayers, Not BP Or Transocean, Are Liable For Gulf Oil Spill Clean Up Costs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It is a small futile effort but I boycott BP Castrol etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Wow... I am all for starting a petition demanding a recall on that FEderal Judge. If the US Taxpayers are going to get the bill, then I say we pass that cost onto BP and any affilitated company with stipulation they are not allowed to change any prices to offset that cost...

I for one am sick and tired of court decisions like this.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

This is despicable.. Is this what our justice and legal system is good for? Letting ludicrous criminals run free to rampage the world while the people clean up their mess and pay for their mayhem?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Money= Freedom

Welcome to Fascism

The world where lining the pockets of the CEO's, Owners and Executives is more important than feeding the needy in the world.

50 million+ Americans are on food stamps

While the bankers and wall street thugs have caviar and wine in their homes; while the children and poor scrape for the scraps

The Disparity between the wealth is larger now than ever before

Will the Banksters and the Corpocracy Eventually Own It All? 29 Statistics about Extreme Income Inequality In America that will blow your mind.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Not defending BP or anything but haven't they already paid out billions? Or was that corporate gobble-de-gook to confuse the masses? My point is, if they have already paid billions then surely they are due at least a bit of slack? Surely the ire should be more focused on Haliburton and TransOcean? They appear to have done everything possible to avoid any responsibility and that is just appalling....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Just wanted to make clear...... i believe totally that any polluting company anywhere in the world should be forced to pay for clean ups and compo for injuries. Just attempting to say that BP appear to have taken, at the very least, a measure of responsibility. Time for the other companies involved to also step up......
Same applies to Monsanto and the like around the world and whoever owns Union carbide these days - Bhopal is a scandal that still shames America around the world and that is unfortunate and unfair to americans - corporations and governments cause the problems, not the masses who tend to be downtrodden whether in US, China, Europe or wherever.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Online I've read that Exxon has not paid back one cent of the cost to clean up the Valdez spill which decimated the Prince William Sound in Alaska. The cost was to the US taxpayer. So reading that BP is allowed to bend over millions of American taxpayers comes with no surprise.

As for me - I will never buy Exxon or BP product again. Screw them. Stopped buying Exxon many years ago. Stopped buying BP during their recent debacle.

YOUR SPENDING DOLLARS ARE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT VOTE.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Doesn't Obama have shares in B.P.?? What an Obama Nation.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for linking to Malware in the OP.

You guys need to be more careful with your links.

Anyone have some better sources that I can let friends know about etc.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Hey I want to say that after doing some digging, this seems to be incorrect and from a single source

This is what I found digging into this:

"Here's the actual order: www.laed.uscourts.gov...(D1Complaint).pdf

As I read it (and I am NOT a lawyer), a complaint was denied on several points, including many due to lack of standing of the plaintiffs. Another point, a request for an injuction, was answered as follows:

To sustain their claims for injunctive relief, Plaintiffs must show that the injuries they allege will be redressed if they prevail. Although an injunction need not return the waters to the pre-spill state, it must, however, provide some benefit or reduction in pollution.
In this case, no such benefit may be achieved by the Court's injunction. In fact, the injunction at this stage would be useless, as not only is there no ongoing release from the well, but there is also no viable offshore facility from which any release could possibly occur. The Macondo well is dead, and what remains of the Deepwater Horizon vessel is on the ocean floor, where it capsized and sank in 5,000 feet of water.

And this:

Moreover, BP and the agencies comprising the Unified Area Command have been and are cleaning up the Gulf of Mexico. An injury is not redressable by a citizen suit when the injury is already being redressed.

As I read it, the complaint failed on multiple points. It does not say anything even resembling

... injury stopped the moment the well was sealed and that the Federal Government, aka The US Taxpayer, is now liable for clean up costs along with any damages caused by deficiencies of the cleanup of the Gulf Of Mexico.

IF a court did issue a ruling/statement as was alleged here, I would be jumping up and down and screaming foul to any and all who would listen. But it doesn't sound like that's at all what happened. Not at all.

Not every lawsuit filed is valid - even when the defendant is filthy, dirty, guilty of many bad things.

I mean no disrespect, but this should be taken down; it is simply not true or accurate"

So I think we are looking at some Disinfo.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is appalling and just goes to prove how the "majority" of American's truly have no idea where their taxes are going (including me). There needs to be some form of public outcry over a decision as ignorant as this, the time to make our voices heard is now!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Disgusting.

Absolutely disgusting.

America has become an absolute joke.

Justice? liberty?

Your government and your companies just gave you the royal finger.

I'm amazed you all so readily sit there and take this from them..

Shame on you.

sit there?...what would you expect us to do? ...you don't think this is happening in your country?...what are you doing about the things taking place there?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The next time I send my car thru the car wash ? I'm calling for a court hearing because I think the taxpayers should pay for that as well. In fact I want a court hearing everytime someone expects me to pay anything.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. Please rise up America. Inspire us and the world again. You can do it!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by enament

What place where the sun dont shine did you pull this little bit of stupidity from?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Seriously? As cynical as I can be, this even pisses me off. Boycott all BP products if you haven't already. What a joke our system has become.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
100.000 suits? With that amount of suits alone I bet there is lots of people who want BP accountable. If the system stands behind them then shouldn't some civil disobidience be in order?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550

Originally posted by enament

What place where the sun dont shine did you pull this little bit of stupidity from?

Well gee wizz did you notice the question marks?? not very observant are you? so does he have shares in BP?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
This isn't getting play in the media because it's a fairly irrelevant ruling. Did you guys even bother to read the article and what this lawsuit pertains too or are you waiting for someone to explain it to you.

The suit was a broad based attempt by environemental groups to sue BP over cleanup issues but the judge ruled that since this is being handled under the direction of the federal government and since BP has already and still is contributing to that effort there is no basis for the suit. He also states that since the well is dead and there is no further oil leakage that the suit does not hold merit for any future problems either.

People are still allowed to bring lawsuits under other federal guidlines if they have cases however so this ruling only pertains to one issue and the judge ruled wisely. Don't forget that BP already paid a very hefty sum to get this clean-up done so they've honored previous court rulings which is why the court negated this one.

You hit the nail on the head and to take it a little further, it has been reported the more than half of the claims in the bundle are people who have been paid 10's of thousands of dollars already and are merely trying to milk this cow as long as they can milk it.

I spend a good bit of time fishing the marshes down here over the past 6 years and you saw oil from time to time befor ethe well exploded. Im not saying it is right, but it is reality. I guess the coast of LA pays the price for every American to live a certain lifestyle.

You are welcome.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Your joking right? America is the most hostile place to start a business because of the high demands for salary increases, beneftis, business taxes, property taxes, etc. Why do you think so many businesses are leaving?(Maytag) If anything this country has become anti business, anti corporation. Look at both sides before you speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join