It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas becomes 1st State to require fracking disclosure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...,tx

HOUSTON – Texas Gov. Rick Perry has signed a bill requiring drillers to publicly disclose the chemicals they use when extracting oil and gas from dense rock formations, the first state to pass such a law.

Several other state agencies have passed regulations forcing some disclosure, but none have made it a law. Texas' law will force drillers to post the chemicals and the amounts used beginning in July 2012.

Well, good! In the town where I live, theres been a little battle between the drilling companies and the residents for around 2 years now. Now we will finally be able to see what chemicals they are using.

If anyones new to this, heres a quick summary of what fracking is.

The issue has taken on national importance as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, is used in more states to extract once out-of-reach hydrocarbons from impermeable shale formations. Drillers pump chemical-laced water into the ground at high pressure to crack the rock.

Environmental groups worry the chemicals could taint aquifers and water supplies. The industry says the process is safe.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Oil companies should be forced to disclose EVERYTHING they do under every circumstance...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If the companys are working safly, surely they have nothing to loose, disclosing how.

Good on you Texas, this and some other political moves by the state are fast making me rethink my views (both factual and stereotypical)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Hell by that time next year I don't think it will matter cause they will have fracked something bad open. If they gave them this long to comply then they don't care.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is good news!!!

This reminded me of a previous post by one of our members at ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bet she is/will be happy to hear about this!

Now that we know they are not invincible, what other ways can we put chinks in their armor?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This really is great news. One small step on a long path to bring these companies to heel. Though, it is kinda lame that they gave them an entire year to comply. Seems a little shady, but at least SOMETHING is being done.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Brilliant to hear at least some disclosure about Fracking is happenning.
The Chinese are making some people rich in every western nation, including politicians ?
Who knows it certainly explains the treason against us?
Personally why not take the cash from the communists?
Aren't almost two billion Chinese worth more than a few millions drinking water and crops?

Its a very scary thought to think our children will be living in a poluuted garbage tip, because a few sold us out to a foreign anti human rights dictatorship.
Lets all wake up fracking is to serve the Chinese juggernaut.

top topics

join