It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama admin announces new ban on jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Obama is an enviro nut. He destroys jobs without any regard for the lives he ruins.

Green jobs. Yeah, right!

WASHINGTON — The nation’s largest grassroots advocate of rational environmental policy criticized Monday a White House announcement of a ban on uranium mining jobs across one million acres of Arizona.

“Like his ban on Gulf Coast energy jobs that threw thousands into unemployment, Barack Obama latest job ban throws more working families to the multi-million dollar environmentalist wolfpack,” said American Tradition Partnership Executive Director Donald Ferguson.

“Arizona is just the start. Barack Obama plans to soon issue more job bans in states like Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia,” said Ferguson. “The jobs Obama banned are not in the Grand Canyon and have no effect on the Grand Canyon. Rather than lead an economy recovery, Barack Obama chose to again mislead.”

Jobs Ban
edit on 20-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People get angry when there's talk about global warming and how we're destroying the earth we live on .. people say we're not doing enough, not acting fast enough, leaving an unfixable environmental legacy for our children's chidren .. but any act to try to fix something that impacts jobs makes you an environmental nut job who doesn't care.. sort of damned if you do, and damned if you don't .. someone is always going to hate your choices

We do need to eliminate jobs that harm the environment, it's a tough pill to swallow.. but along with that, other jobs need to be created as well.. and that effort is still ongoing.. it's not going well, I don't have any problem confessing to that .. but if we're to make any stride towards slowing down our destruction of the planet and it's resources then we're going to have to tighten up the belt and make sacrifices.. period... it's the economy itself that drives the destruction, and so it's at that level that it needs to be changed..
edit on 20-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It is these types of situations that everyone is going to have to figure out a way and to adapt and overcome.

I see this as sort of a NIMBY thing. I get it that people are losing very hard to come by jobs, but there is a bigger picture here. IF the general consensus is for us to move away from nuclear energy, then what purpose would we have in mining for radioactive material? Do we just mine it for the heck of it and sit it on a shelf, unless we just want to create jobs to store something we do not use? This is inevitable and bound to happen sooner or later as it is if we are going to move away from using nuclear energy. Now, if the consensus is to continue using nuclear, then dig away.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

It is these types of situations that everyone is going to have to figure out a way and to adapt and overcome.

I see this as sort of a NIMBY thing. I get it that people are losing very hard to come by jobs, but there is a bigger picture here. IF the general consensus is for us to move away from nuclear energy, then what purpose would we have in mining for radioactive material? Do we just mine it for the heck of it and sit it on a shelf, unless we just to create jobs to store something we do not use? This is inevitable and bound to happen sooner or later as it is if we are going to move away from using nuclear energy. Now, if the consensus is to continue using nuclear, then dig away.

There are many other industries that use radioactive materials other than nuclear power plants. Same as oil is used in so many things other than gasoline.

And I don't see any 'general consensus' to move away from nuclear energy. Maybe among green libs, but not the general populace.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
There are many other industries that use radioactive materials other than nuclear power plants. Same as oil is used in so many things other than gasoline.

And I don't see any 'general consensus' to move away from nuclear energy. Maybe among green libs, but not the general populace.

I'm not sure there's a general consensus either but the movement is going that way rather quickly. People are not comfortable with nuclear power after the Japan disaster, and that is evident by Germany's move to abolish nuclear energy over time. I don't think you will see nuclear power adoption increase any time soon, it will certainly be decreasing ( again, Germany will be banning it ) .. There have been advances in other types of energy, Solar is becoming more and more efficient.. Yes radioactive materials are used in other areas but we don't need to mine on the scale we currently do.. by any stretch.. especially if we're looking at reducing nuclear weapon production and if there's not going to be a push for nuclear power.. which again, I don't think there's going to be any time soon.

Japan has shown that this "clean" energy solution can be the worst kind of dirty energy imaginable if the wrong thing happens.. this clean source is causing devistation.. besides it's not so clean anyway, the storage of nuclear waste is a bit of a disaster waiting to happen in and of itself
edit on 20-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can see where the government might have an ulterior motive in not wanting companies digging around certain areas of the west and near DC. Wouldn't want to accidentally expose any DUMBs.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Mining will pick up again...after he sells mining contracts to China. Heck, we have China drilling for oil in south Texas. Might as well let them mine uranium, too.

As far as that goes, Obama should keep American companies from drilling in the Gulf and sell drilling leases to Brazil! Oh wait...

/TOA

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
another move for the green initiaitve the same is with the oil drilling ban with a means to an end.

lots of jobs ranging from power generation to the medical industry do in fact use radioactive isotopes

and its a given where there is one there are others.

putting people out of work is what obama excels at a means to an end and more outsourcing to other parts of the world.

this nation needs to fire obama in a bad way before there is nothing left to salvage.

i wish more people would wake up to the inherent danger that the obama adminstration represents to us all.

yesterday it was oil the day before it was coal today its nuclear

hello? see the pattern?

wake up!
edit on 20-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The problem with nuclear plants is everybody wants that clean energy, hell everybody wants a nuclear plant. But nobody wants one in there back yard, personally i'm one of those people. I love nuclear plants and i want our nation to go full speed ahead. I just don't want one within a 100 miles of my house. Thats where the majority of Americans stand on the issue.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i wish more people would wake up to the inherent danger that the obama adminstration represents to us all.

yesterday it was oil the day before it was coal today its nuclear

So very true. He is molding the energy industry to fit into his mega-taxing scheme of Cap and Trade. God help us if that hustle ever makes it into law...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

if he gets re elected mark my words

it will appear as a mandate and cap and trade will be passed not like theres a need for it hes doing quite well without it and thats a problem now but with cape and tax watch out.

the end of what little american industry will be left.

keep working man fight the good fight and make people aware of the stupidity he does.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I totally agree with what a few others said.

If he stops uranium mining, people are going to get upset.

If he continues it, people are going to get upset.

The only difference is WHO is upset, and for what reasons. He will have people complaining about his actions either way, wouldn't you agree?

I don't like Obama AT ALL. I cannot stand the man himself, and I think his administration is the worst since.... well the worst since Bush heh heh. But that doesn't mean I'm going to bash him for things that he honestly can't win one way or another. That's just a cheap shot, and not fair.

And honestly, how much many people work mining Uranium?

Personally I am in favor of Nuclear power. The disaster in Japan is an example of stupid, out-dated design, and poor quality/dangerous fuel.

I honestly feel that Nuclear is a very good source of power, we just need to do it in a safer way. No plants on the coast, or in major flood and earthquake zones. American Nuke plants are already far superior to Fukushima in safety, but could definitely still be improved. It's really not that difficult to make sure fuel rods stay in water. Just like the gulf oil spill, they are just cheap and lazy when it comes to safey, and people and the environment suffer because of it.

Store fuel rods away from reactors, have 6 backup sources of energy and cooling, and keep the whole thing away from coasts, fault lines, and flood plains. These simple things could really make Nuke much, much safer. Just my opinion anyway.
edit on 20-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Sorry but I'm with Obama on this one. I'm very glad they banned the uranium mining in my home. They were trashing the area north of The Grand Canyon. The water in the many off-shoots of the Colorado River are radioactive. They have left leaky barrels of toxic chemicals to rust behind fences. Many of those industrial waste products from the uranium mining have sat there for 20-30 years.

Also, I have many friends who live in that area on the Navajo reservation and their water is contaminated. It is an ecological disaster. The mining companies from out of state have been lying about cleaning it up for years.

I am tired of these big businesses from the other side of the country coming into my home and trashing it. This is great news. It may kill a few jobs but it is better than killing the land and making it uninhabitable for generations.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm all for oil jobs being los and uranium jobs being lost. It would make me sick to my stomach to shill for either industry.

what has to happen, of course, is they are replaced with sloar, wind and geothermal jobs. if that is not happening, the administration needs to fix it

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
You should really paste this post into the other thread on here that says the government and courts always sell out to corporations.

Seems to me that alot of mining corporations are gonna be really pissed he did this. Way to stick it to those evil greedy company's Obama.

I imagine alot of people on this site will now be hardcore Obama supporters since he's taking it to the corporations.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Here is a PSA my friends and former co-workers produced concerning the issues in AZ related to the uranium mining.

Sorry, not sure how to embed video from vimeo:
AZ uranium PSA

ETA: I found the PSA on youtube:

edit on 20-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join