It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside the U.N.'s Shocking New Report on Refugees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Inside the U.N.'s Shocking New Report on Refugees

www.theatlanticwire.com

In honor of World Refugee Day, the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) released a study today on the state of forcibly displaced people around the globe. The report seems particularly relevant right now as over 10,000 Syrians stream across the border with Turkey to escape the government's violent crackdown on protesters (the photo above shows displaced Syrians at a camp in Turkey). The report also surfaces some fascinating findings
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
this is a very compelling read..
just a few thing of note were

António Guterres, the head of UNHCR, said in a statement that the fear of refugees is exaggerated in rich countries while poorer countries are actually the ones shouldering most of the burden

the numbers and places were quite unexpected to be sure.

Pakistan tops the list with 1.9 million refugees, followed by Iran with 1.1 million and Syria with 1 million (the U.S. is ninth with almost 265,000).

but it was the very last column (Number of Forcibly Displaced.... Kicked out) that worried me..

Number of Forcibly Displaced People Is at 15-Year High. Almost 44 million people (15.4 million refugees, 27.5 million internally displaced people, and 850,000 people seeking refugee status), more than half of them children, were forcibly displaced in 2010--a figure, according to UNHCR, that roughly equals the entire populations of Colombia or South Korea.

that is a lot of people kicked out of their own countries...

www.theatlanticwire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I wish I had more to add but do not really have much to say on this. It is a great post and I appreciate that you have taken the time to put this together. There are many things happening in the world that do not always seem to affect us but in reality, these things affect everyone.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Very good find, DB: most people are insulated and totally unaware of the sheer numbers of displaced and/or refugees at any time in the world at large; sometimes the MSM will report a little if nothing else is available to distract the general populace, but of late there is always something ludicris such as the hoopla over j-lo's dress blowing up and her boob falling out to placate the masses...

seeker

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

but it was the very last column (Number of Forcibly Displaced.... Kicked out) that worried me..

Number of Forcibly Displaced People Is at 15-Year High. Almost 44 million people (15.4 million refugees, 27.5 million internally displaced people, and 850,000 people seeking refugee status), more than half of them children, were forcibly displaced in 2010--a figure, according to UNHCR, that roughly equals the entire populations of Colombia or South Korea.

Actually, I know of a very good use for this here in the US. I would like to exile many banks and their administrations right out of the US and never allow them to do business in any way, shape or form in this country, ever again. Even their distant relatives that have not even been born yet are barred from this country.

Edit:
I would even go as far as saying that whatever wealth they have, fine, keep it, just get out. At that point we could just cut our losses and move on.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
what bothers me is that theres a "world refugee day".

and the rest syrias fleeing from syria to iran

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree better to fight.... but that's my job...
and yeah I can see wanting my wife and kiddies across the border...
easier for me to do those dirty jobs knowing my family is safe

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

too many people these days would rather live on their knees slaves to the whims of others and not be masters of their destinies.
edit on 20-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What they are not telling you:

--Many of these refugees are fleeing wars that the NWO has itself started. Like Iraq and Afghanistan, which have produced most of today's refugees.

--The UN then assigns quotas to the developed world(mostly Europe and North America) to accept these refugees. Declining to accept these refugees apparently is not an option. That's how we got all the Somalis and Iraqis, for example.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Refugee is just another name for illegal border crosser. This third world scum wants to invade other countries and steal jobs and benefits from the taxpayers. They should all be turned back.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i dont have any sympathy for any refugees.

its better to fight than run away.

You know, posting stuff like this on the internet doesn't actually impress all those hot internet babes, Neo. You can stop fronting.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

he just proved the phobia that was hinted at in the story

António Guterres, the head of UNHCR, said in a statement that the fear of refugees is exaggerated in rich countries while poorer countries are actually the ones shouldering most of the burden

so it would seem while poorer countries openly except the disenfranchised... those wealthier only think about the cost

top topics

join