It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun watch 2004

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hey Tiza.
Yeah im fine thanks. Just been busy.
Cant seem to see the other side of the sun, i thought spaceweather had it up but it looks like there is nothing there now? Whats going on?
Could you post a link of any images of the sunspot because i just cannot find any at all it seems 649 could have gone?
Other than that the weather is brilliant in northern england for the last few days been really hot so all going good!
Just wish i knew when the sunspot coming back around.
Hope your all okay in florida i havent checked the tornado yet but will do now.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
Hey Tiza.
Yeah im fine thanks. Just been busy.
Cant seem to see the other side of the sun, i thought spaceweather had it up but it looks like there is nothing there now? Whats going on?
Could you post a link of any images of the sunspot because i just cannot find any at all it seems 649 could have gone?
Other than that the weather is brilliant in northern england for the last few days been really hot so all going good!
Just wish i knew when the sunspot coming back around.
Hope your all okay in florida i havent checked the tornado yet but will do now.

Hi, Mark:

Finally! I was getting concerned. Yes, go to SOHO and click latest images. Look at all the images for 9/1/2004. I realize that y'all do your dates differently where you live. Notice that it "is" trying to come around. The problem is with the heliosphere thing is that there is a place that they can't see. So I suppose that they guess when some sunspot is going to be facing the earth. I.e., in those farside pictures, there's a blind spot. So for a time they couldn't see huge sunspot 649.

But notice the outgoing flares. It's coming around, just not here yet. They could be a day or two off on when they think something is going to face the sun. I believe it's coming around and we may see it in a day or two.

I'm really concerned about Flordia. I have a good friend there that I'm concerned about, and I don't know that her and her husband are leaving. It may be a horrible hurricane if it does hit FL. No one knows what it will do because hurricanes are so erratic.

Take care,
Tiza

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
P.s. Mark, J. McCanney has some emergency stuff up about the hurricane.

Tiza

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is from SOHO. It's pretty interesting.

Tiza

"Using a technique developed in the past few years, scientists have been generating images of the far side of the Sun which are computed from sound travel time analysis. These are based on observations by SOHO's Michelson Doppler Imager (MDI). The images are whole-Sun maps of magnetic activity that let scientists "see" sunspots on the far side of the Sun many days before they rotate into view. A few days ago the far side imaging showed that a sunspot region would be appearing around the edge of the Sun on Aug. 31 or Sept. 1. And it did. This is the third time around for this same active region: it was observed as a sunspot group two months ago, and again one month ago. The spot has become quite diminished compared to its size when we last saw it. From the far side images, it appears that a new, large region has now appeared on the northern hemisphere, and it should come around the limb in a few days.

The far side images are maps of wave speed variations with locations of faster wave speed shown darker. These darker regions indicate locations where there is an accumulation of magnetic field on the far surface. The far side images can only be computed out to 45 degrees from the far side disk center as (un)seen from Earth. Intense magnetic fields around sunspots affect the transit times of sound waves bouncing from one side of the Sun to the other, variations that the MDI can detect and transform to reveal magnetic condensations (i.e, sunspots) on the hidden side of the Sun. This technique is called "helioseismic holography." In essence, we are seeing through the Sun. This has proven to be a useful tool in predicting when new sunspots will be appearing on the Earth-side of the Sun. "

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Nice find Tiza.
I cant actually view images for some reason iv just cancelled my AOL account (I hate aol but like their free trails!) so im using a free dial-up number but it wont load up any large images for some reason im just going to fiddle around and see if i can get the images from spaceweather to look at.
The weather here is wonderful at the moment its quite hot everyday for the past week and im loving it!
And there has been no sunspots so if the big one does come around and the weather gets bad im going to blame it on the sunspots!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Amazing!
Just downloaded Enigma Browser and it is absolutely brilliant!Im never going back to IE again!This is so faster than IE aswell!
Anyway just looked at Sp 649 and it doesnt seem that big but if it can shrink to 20 times smaller than it was within 2 days then theres no reason why it couldnt grow much bigger when its earth facing!
this is one to watch closely its unusual its even lasted this long so we have some action at long last!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
Nice find Tiza.
I cant actually view images for some reason iv just cancelled my AOL account (I hate aol but like their free trails!) so im using a free dial-up number but it wont load up any large images for some reason im just going to fiddle around and see if i can get the images from spaceweather to look at.
The weather here is wonderful at the moment its quite hot everyday for the past week and im loving it!
And there has been no sunspots so if the big one does come around and the weather gets bad im going to blame it on the sunspots!

Hi, Mark:

I have AOL. Sometimes I do hate it too, but most of the time it comes into good use on my end.

Sunspot 649 has shrunk before, then gotten large again.

This is what interested me about SOHO and the article, Quote: From the far side images, it appears that a new, large region has now appeared on the northern hemisphere, and it should come around the limb in a few days, unquote.

See, there's apparently some more that is a large region too.

BTW, some people are going to have bad weather. Look at that massive hurricane Frances. Isn't it something?

Tiza

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well Jim Mc said in his radio lecture last thursday something about 2 rivers flowing into each other so if anything is expelled from the sun it could end up coming towards earth,i dont know the exact details but this is kind of what he said.
So your saying that there are more large sunspots on the far side of the sun developing at the moment?
I cant wait to see what effect 649 has on us this time around should be interesting and we should make a log for the weather everyday from now on and for the current solar wind and x-ray probability etc and see what we come up with.
So like i already said its very sunny and hot here its not rained for a few days and when it does its usually at night.
Looks like we are in good time at moment to study what happens from the emerging of large sunspot to when it dissapears.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
From the looks of that sunspot, it seems to be a bit larger in the latest SOHO pics. I'm thinking that it is combined with some more sunspots that are coming around. We'll see, though, as more make their way around to the earth side.

Also, Mark, about PX, I meant to tell you. I have a very reliable source that says that theoretically and mathematically, there is something there which has an ellipitcal orbit that is elongated, but it's an asteroid instead of a planet. I would rather not reveal my source here.

Tiza

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Tiza.
About planet x, i never totally understand about it. But there has to be some planet that hasnt been discovered yet,there must be even though i am skeptic about PX and understand about you not revealing your sources i do believe that something is going to happen within our lifetime like some sort of strange interference with our planet and something else.
All current events and science points that something will happen within 10-20 years that will be unexplainable or different than we currently understand!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
>All current events and science points that something will happen within 10-20 years that will be unexplainable or different than we currently understand!<

Hi, Mark:

Yes, something will happen. Don't know when. From our scriptural studies, we have also included past ancient history, and the earth has tilted several times before. Once in Joshua's long day and when Hezekiah was king. Probably a few more times. I'll go into it more when I have the time, but there are a lot of writings of ancient civilizations that talk of this. It's pretty interesting. We know that it will happen again.

Tiza

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone's watching SOHO, but the sun's starting to get angry again. That's about the best way that I can describe it.

Also, here's an interesting article that I found:

Quote: Posted on Tue, Sep. 07, 2004

New weather patterns turn Florida into a hurricane magnet

BY MARTIN MERZER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

MIAMI - (KRT) - Charley, Frances and Ivan. Three major hurricanes. Two assaults on Florida already and possibly a third by next week. Get used to it. This is the new normal.

Scientists say we are in a period of enhanced hurricane activity that could last for decades, ending a 24-year period of below average activity. They also say the law of averages has caught up with Florida, with a change in atmospheric steering currents turning the state into a hurricane magnet.

``People are suddenly alert, suddenly paying attention,'' said Stanley Goldenberg, a meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's hurricane research division on Virginia Key. ``They can see now that we are in an active era. ... - People should realize that it is very unlikely that Frances is the last storm the U.S. will see this year.''

Which brings us to Hurricane Ivan.

Though subject to considerable error, long-range forecasts are consistently suggesting that Ivan will strike Jamaica on Friday and Cuba on Sunday as a vicious Category 4 hurricane. The outlook improved slightly for South Florida, but the southern half of the state remained in the five-day cone of probability.

When asked if Florida can endure another hurricane, Gov. Jeb Bush pointed Tuesday to a button he wore on his shirt. It said: ``I survived damn near everything.''

``We will survive whatever comes at us,'' he said. ``We're an incredibly resilient state. I'm not being defiant; I'm only suggesting we can meet this challenge.''

If Ivan hits the state, it will be the first time since 1964 that three hurricanes smacked Florida in the same year. And September and October tend to be among the most active months of the six-month hurricane season that ends Nov. 30.

``The season is still young,'' said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade County. ``It certainly seems from my perspective that we're in the active period that has been predicted. The only surprise is that Florida hasn't been hit more often in the last few years.''

A sobering thought: Between 1941 and 1950, seven major hurricanes - with winds higher than 110 mph - attacked Florida. ``And that doesn't include the other less powerful hurricanes,'' Goldenberg said. That 10-year period fell in the middle of a cycle of heightened activity that began in 1926 and persisted until 1970.

Now, the combination of complacency bred during a long lull between 1971 and 1994, the new hyperactivity since 1995 and the ongoing mega-development of Florida's coasts frightens emergency managers and scientists.

``The implications are much-increased damage when storms make landfall,'' Goldenberg said, ``and the potential for major loss of life in the event of an evacuation foul-up during a rapidly intensifying storm.''

He has more than academic interest in this. Goldenberg and his family were nearly killed when Hurricane Andrew crushed their South Miami-Dade home in 1992.

Research he later conducted with NOAA scientist Chris Landsea, private expert William Gray and others found distinct patterns of low-activity hurricane periods and high-activity periods, each of which endured for decades. These patterns, unrelated to the current concern over global warming, are caused by regular cycles of oceanic and atmospheric phenomena, such as unusually warm water in hurricane breeding grounds.

One period of ``hyperactivity'' ended in 1970 and was followed by a 24-year lull. The new period of heightened activity began in 1995 and could last for another 10 to 30 years, according to their report, which was peer-reviewed and published in 2001 in the prestigious journal Science.

In the last few years, and particularly this year, the depressing statistics related to the number, power and duration of storms appear to verify the report's depressing conclusions, especially when major hurricanes are considered.

This is significant because, though relatively few in number, major hurricanes - Category 3 or higher - cause 80 percent of all damage from tropical weather...unquote.

Read the rest of the article here:

www.aberdeennews.com...

Tiza

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Nice find Tiza,

Havent been keeping much up to date with this thread as iv been taking part in the new game with DrJim which is messing up my brain!

I havent checked Spaceweather for awhile as the last time i looked there was 1 sunspot but now there are loads! 671 has a chance for exploding and is bigger the 649 at the moment although when 671 erupts i doubt it will still be earth facing.

If you look at 671 it looks quite big and theres a group of them this spot has plenty of time to grow large and pose a threat.

Its supposed to be the lowest sunspot number in the 11 year cycle and we have all these spots in winter aswell.

Strange.

Also there have been 3 hurricanes and its only in the middle of the hurricane season how many more will there be and whats the chances of 3 hurricanes hitting Florida one after another?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just found an interesting article.

John Roach
for National Geographic News
September 9, 2004

Earth's magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say.
If the trend continues, the field may collapse altogether and then reverse. Compasses would point south instead of north.

If earths mag field is weaking then solar flares can cause much more damage because the earths mag field is the only thing that is protecting us.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hi, Mark:

I'm working hard, taking and short lunch break and noticed this at spaceweather.com:

>>SOLAR FLARE: An M4-class solar flare erupted near sunspot 672 today. The long-duration blast probably hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) into space, and possibly toward Earth. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on Sept. 13th and 14th.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What the hell is going on with the sun?

Its the 11 year solar minimum but there are 6 sunspots right now with to of them posing strong M-class flares!

One of the is 5 times wider than the earth.

Also we can expect a CME tommorrow.

Just look at these images...

SUNSPOT 684: Yesterday it was barely visible; today it's five times wider than Earth. Sunspot 684 is growing remarkably fast. Witness this 24-hour animation from the Solar and Heliospheric Observator (SOHO):

Sunspot 684 is the one near the middle. When sunspots evolve so rapidly, their magnetic fields can become unstable and erupt. This active region merits watching as a possible source of solar flares.

This is the latest image of the sun.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sprawling sunspot 687 grew impressively during the weekend. It is now nearly 10 times wider than Earth and poses a threat for strong M-class solar flares. This picture of the 'spot (and surrounding active regions) comes from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) on Oct. 24th:

Sunspot 691 has a "beta-gamma-delta" magnetic field that harbors energy for powerful X-class solar flares. Big sunspot 687, meanwhile, has a slightly less twisted magnetic field that could unleash M-class solar flares.
www.spaceweather.com...

This sure is getting strange, loads of sunspots and chances for X-class and M-class flares, be interesting to see any of these flares hitting earth again so look out for extreme weather soon.

The Sunspot that grew 10 times larger than earth over the weekend is really scary.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hey mark, this is interesting stuff on the sun, i cant say i know much about the normal behaviour of the sun, but by your comments im guessing this is odd? Whats the normal pattern and how does this differ? fill me in if you'd be so generous, and would this have any implications for us on earth?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hi Picard glad you find it of interest,

This is odd picard a few weeks ago there was not one sunspot on the sun.

The last 2 weeks theres been 6 and not the same six but everyday there has been 6 sunspots which is strange but nothing to worry about, its the ones that pose solar flares which are the ones to worry about which there are currently 2 an X-Class (The highes) and a M-Class (Middle) these expel solar rays/particles towards earth at enormous speeds and can cause damage to anything electical/astronoughts in space.

The implications on Earth, well this is debatable, some scientists say it doesnt affect the earth some say it does.

If any of these flares hit earth there is usually extreme/abnormal weather on Earth as we saw at the beggining of this thread.

Its also unusual because we are currently at the lowest sunspot count of its 11 year cycle yet there has been loads this year.

The X and M-class flares could hit us within 2-4 days so keep an eye out on this thread.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Also 2 sunspots have grown many times the size of the earth within a day or so the latest one growing 10 times the size of the earth over the weekend which is also unusual and this is why its probably posing a threat.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join