It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vegan diet cures cancer++other diseases

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cornucopia

Eating for Light - Becoming the Stargate

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I don't think that there is much point in beating folks up over whether they eat meat or not.
The real issue is what are we supposed to eat.
I've been reading about Paleo diets for ages and following the Paleo way for about a week, now.
In such a short time, I have more energy, sleep better, don't get blood sugar crashes...hell, a whole lot of stuff. I've lost half a stone, too.

Anyway, my point is, if you eat grains, legumes and trans fats, then you are likely doing harm to your body.
The weight of evidence is mounting up and could go some way to explaining the constant fattening of people in the West.
edit on 31-8-2011 by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

i'm happy for you bro

i'm just sharing information, not telling anyone to do anything

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
I don't think that there is much point in beating folks up over whether they eat meat or not.
The real issue is what are we supposed to eat.
I've been reading about Paleo diets for ages and following the Paleo way for about a week, now.
In such a short time, I have more energy, sleep better, don't get blood sugar crashes...hell, a whole lot of stuff. I've lost half a stone, too.

Anyway, my point is, if you eat grains, legumes and trans fats, then you are likely doing harm to your body.
The weight of evidence is mounting up and could go some way to explaining the constant fattening of people in the West.
edit on 31-8-2011 by SprocketUK because: spelling

The paleo diet is far better than vegen/vegetarian/frutarian for our species! Grains, legumes, certain fats and meats are the issue. Couple that with modern lazy living and its no surprise people have disease and wieght issues..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this subject

you are what you eat, not much more to it

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wulfric
Vegans are also pretty skinny with not much muscle weight, and would generally have more health problems than an ordinary healthy balanced diet with the exception of cancer (IF) this is true.

thats absolute nonsense .... there are also skinny unhealthy meat eaters ..... its all about getting the correct proteins, carbs, vitamins and minerals in the correct amounts from healthy sources ... meat is NOT a healthy source of anything

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Total rubbish!

Humans have all ways been predators and right at the top of the food chain!

Do you really think our ancestors were fueling high energy hunting sessions with plant material. Hilarious!

Not only that dental evidence suggests that we only really turned to sugary fruits and plant materials in the last 1000 years. We can tell by tooth decay. 1000+ years ago rare, past 1000 years heavy tooth decay!

Our prehistoric ancestors were predominantly meat eaters!

Oh and there is a lot of evidence suggesting that a diet HIGH in fat and protein, devoid in carbs (ketogenic) is actually beneficial to cancer sufferers! Sugar is the cancer cells main source of fuel apparently!

I do however agree with you on processed foods

Just eat what you like, we all gotta die sometime so enjoy it!

edit on 29-11-2011 by tommyboytml because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Vegans are also pretty skinny with not much muscle weight, and would generally have more health problems than an ordinary healthy balanced diet with the exception of cancer (IF) this is true.

Not true....

Vegan Body Builders

There are stereotypes on both sides of the fence. Such as, those who eat fast food are fat and nasty....I know plenty of beanpoles who eat crap 24/7, and I know plenty of overweight people who eat healthy. Likewise, I know vegans who are thin, and I know vegans who are beefy. I don't, however, know any fat vegans, so maybe there's something to it. Really, it's all about what you do with your body and the combination of "fuels" you put into it...genetics play a large role as well.

"Ordinary healthy balanced diet" is subjective. It depends on who you consider the authority for this statement. For some, the government is that authority and the pyramid food chart is what everyone believes is a healthy, balanced diet. However, some believe others are the authorities, and their research can support their claims as well.

I guess I just wanted to point out that we all really should step away from the stereotypes.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

These vegan body builders will be supplementing i will guarantee you that!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Wow - cannot believe some of the nasty things said on this thread! The arguments tossed around here between meat-eaters and vegetarians / vegans are almost as spicy as those found on the politics and UFO forums!

At the end of the day the health of the vegan comes down to maintaining balance in the choice of foodstuffs and its preparation. Vegans have to take extra care to ensure that they have taken in adequate nutrition - the focus is on eating a wide variety of good-quality nutrient-dense food that is well-enough prepared and delicious as to keep one's interest there. It takes more work being vegan - one cannot simply reach for a pre-packaged or pre-processed meal or opt for take-aways.

Anyhow - I can vouch for the absolutely positive effect that my vegan diet has had on my health. Since childhood I have been immensely sensitive to certain foodstuffs. In fact - if I have a bit of "phleghminess" or the need to clear my throat after a meal, I know that my body is producing an inflammatory reaction to something contained in the food that I have just ingested.

Changing over to a vegan diet has not only for the first time in my life cleared up any such inflammatory responses, but my skin is now glorious, glowing and healthy for the first time in my life - boy, am I happy about THAT. I also have clarity of thought and loads of energy. Food tastes amazing now - my taste-buds have become sensitized to the "real taste" of vegetables, fruit and legumes again. It is one of the greatest lifestyle changes one can make - that I am absolutely certain of.

But it takes perseverance and diligence - which may not be everybody's cup of tea. If done correctly, I am a firm believer that this type of diet has the potential to eliminate all dis-ease. But if managed lazily and haphazardly, the negative results from the resulting nutritional deficiencies will far outweigh any positive effect.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyboytml

BTW - I have no problem maintaining my muscle-weight on my vegan diet. My bf often says that he is jealous of my calves!

Most legumes and high-protein grain-like crops such as quinoa and amarinth have a fantastic amino-acid count and is therefore a better quality protein (oftentimes a complete protein) to that found in meat. Plant-based material is easier to digest, and absorption of these nutrients are more efficient too.

It is all about the diligence of the vegan. Healthy vegans will be certain to include a nice protein-dense portion of somethin' with every meal.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

If you do not exercise...your muscles do not develop...its called muscle atrophy. Whether you eat meat or not...if you do not exercise your muscles will atrophy. Protein from meat products is a more efficient way of gaining muscle 'weight'...but if you do not exercise, you will gain weight, and the muscles will be hidden by fat.
Being skinny is not a sign of health problems, being fat is not a sign of health problems, being skinny is not a sign of health, and being muscly is not a sign of health!

I am always amused by the kind of rubbish that gets trotted out on these forums about veganism/vegetarianism...the solid fact is...if you do not supply your body with the nutrients it needs, you will become unhealthy, whether you are skinny, fat, vegan, vegetarian or a meat eater. This is not a 'one size fits all' situation, which is why the kind of stupid statement (quoted above) is so stupid!

Veg on!

Akushla

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyboytml
reply to post by Gseven

All bodybuilders suppliment ... so whats your point?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Gseven

I don't suppose you've ever been to a bodybuilding 'supplement' store? Eh?

What bodybuilders DONT supplement?

Akushla

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnrobca

reply to post by Gseven

My point is that the poster i replied to was implying that vegans can gain huge muscle mass just by being vegan and not supplementing with protein etc. Not possible sorry!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

remove

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by shimmeringsilver73
reply to post by tommyboytml

BTW - I have no problem maintaining my muscle-weight on my vegan diet. My bf often says that he is jealous of my calves!

Most legumes and high-protein grain-like crops such as quinoa and amarinth have a fantastic amino-acid count and is therefore a better quality protein (oftentimes a complete protein) to that found in meat. Plant-based material is easier to digest, and absorption of these nutrients are more efficient too.

It is all about the diligence of the vegan. Healthy vegans will be certain to include a nice protein-dense portion of somethin' with every meal.

Your a female, men have to worry about testosterone etc. This can be boosted with saturated fats. I suppose you could knock back 100ml of coconut milk everyday though.

Secondly i would love to see you gain 12lbs of lean mass just eating seeds and legumes. You would be bloated and full before you could get anywhere near the amount of nutrients you do from meat!

Thirdly a lot of vitamins and minerals are only fat soluble so a lot of what your saying about nutrition is irrelevant if your a vegan!

Last but not least go and speak to any TOP bodybuilder and persuade them to become vegan, i expect they will just laugh and walk away...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnrobca

reply to post by Gseven

My point is that the poster i replied to was implying that vegans can gain huge muscle mass just by being vegan and not supplementing with protein etc. Not possible sorry!

I disagree .... its about the proteins you eat not the source of the proteins ... as someone who regularly does triathlons I can tell you that so long as you eat correctly you can put on muscle mass ...

anyway ... the way I see it is the amino acid profile of meat is more compex than beans and pulses etc but if you eat a mix of the beans and pulses in a meal then you get the same amino acids if not more than you would with meat and so the protein content BUT it is a healthier source of these proteins. So if the non-meat eater eats correctly there shouldnt be any difference between bulking up on meat or non-meat since its about the proteins themselves not the source.

oh BTW I thought this whole thread was about whether being vegan was healthy rather than how much you can bulk up being vegan .... the last I heard bodybuilders werent the most healthy of people on the planet. .... they just have lots of muscles??!!?
edit on 29-11-2011 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by johnrobca

So tell me which seed or legume (100g) will supply me with more protein than a piece of lean turkey breast (100g) and have less calories?

Sorry but your talking nonsense. If supps and vits did not exist vegans would suffer from all kinds of deficiencies, doesn't that tell you something?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

reply to post by johnrobca

So tell me which seed or legume (100g) will supply me with more protein than a piece of lean turkey breast (100g) and have less calories?

Sorry but your talking nonsense. If supps and vits did not exist vegans would suffer from all kinds of deficiencies, doesn't that tell you something?

This is complete and utter garbage!

I do not take supplements or vitamins, and I have NEVER suffered from ANYTHING!...In 25 years!
Where do you people get this garbage from?

Akushla

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join