It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature takes over... Tree's eating things..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Saw this cool picture of a tree in a uk paper today, that had "eaten" a bicycle.. obviously someone had leant the bike against the tree and instead of pushing it over, it simply just gobbled it up..
i believe this tree is located in washington somewhere..

anyway it kind of inspired me to look for other examples of this, and there are loads out there.. ill put several links to sites at the end of the thread, but here are a few of the more interesting ones..

these images dont really need an explanations..

here is the bike one..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5dde035ca98.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a417c42ecc75.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a1f647b5a15.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83991b3945d3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b721f24f8670.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b89e13e040b7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fe860e14073.jpg[/atsimg]

hope you enjoyed...

here are some links...
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
edit on 20/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes strange things happen like this during tornadoes with different objects being blown into trees. It also made me think of the movie.. "The Happening"

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Wow! Great post OP. I wonder how long it takes certain trees to "eat" objects.
That's amazing. Never seen anything like that before. Just tree roots messing up housing plumbing!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The bicycle in the first photo had to have been placed into the tree crotch by some means.

Trees grow outwards, not upwards.

Very good photos of nature taking over, S&F!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What would be amazing is if someone could set up a time lapse video of this happening! That would be seriously sweet! Ive seen a few trees in my neighborhood that have "eaten" some fire hydrents. I wonder if we would find some ancient artifacts inside trees down in central america near the mayan ruins?

hmmmm....break out the chain saws boys!! (just kidding)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PassedKarma
Wow! Great post OP. I wonder how long it takes certain trees to "eat" objects.
That's amazing. Never seen anything like that before. Just tree roots messing up housing plumbing!

thats what i thought... the bike is apparently 7 foot high.. that must have taken ages to grow that much..

makes me also wonder, before humans colonised the planet it was largely forest, if there were ancient civilisations who knows what else was "eaten"

i also wonder, what happens to the object in the tree, does it just decompose in the tree or would the object stay in its form inside and be preserved.. similar to it being mummified..
you wouldnt even know there was something inside most of those trees pictured, if some of the object of it wasnt exposed..
edit on 20/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

The trees in my garden beg to differ...as does every other tree I've seen.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The bicycle in the first photo had to have been placed into the tree crotch by some means.

Yeah ok.
That's why I have looked at carvings in trees 20ft high.
Dated from the 1880's.

I personally put 1995 in a tree and now I can't reach it from the ground.

Tree's grow both up and out.

Other than that, good find OP.
I have cut trees down with barbed wire "grown" through many times.
Very resilient, trees are.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

s&f
great post
this is amazing

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
For any that believe that trees can pick things up by growing:

If a birdhouse is hung on a tree branch, it does not move up the tree as the tree grows.

Sour ce: North Carolina University Cooperative Extension

There are other sites which confirm this, just google it.

Doobydoll:

I have trees in my garden which started out years ago as mere 2ft twigs sticking out of the ground, now they are towering tall.

I am sorry for any confusion, trees do grow upwards, of course. They only grow at their terminal buds however, and where a branch forms, it stays with regard to its height above the ground.

havok:

I personally put 1995 in a tree and now I can't reach it from the ground.

You may be shrinking.
edit on 20-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I have trees in my garden which started out years ago as mere 2ft twigs sticking out of the ground, now they are towering tall.

How do you explain that?

Weird and crazy pics OP

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
What would be amazing is if someone could set up a time lapse video of this happening! That would be seriously sweet! Ive seen a few trees in my neighborhood that have "eaten" some fire hydrents. I wonder if we would find some ancient artifacts inside trees down in central america near the mayan ruins?

hmmmm....break out the chain saws boys!! (just kidding)

time lapse of this would be cool... although i think it would take a long time to film!!

i thought the same thing about artifacts from ancient civilisations, the thing is you would never know if something were inside a tree..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Maybe we could use some type of penetrating radar to "look" inside trees around ancient sites. And to get the time lapse effect you probley wouldnt need to actually "film" it, you could probebly just take a picture once a week or so.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Amazing images - it certainly gives
some personality to the trees. I like
the one with his chin on the fence,
he looks a little grumpy and tired.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There are a lot of small family cemeteries in my county. We find one no one's known about for generations every year or two. Many times, trees have begun to grow around the old headstones and tent graves. I find it fascinating that someday, maybe centuries from now, someone will be chopping down an old tree and find that piece of history.

Tent graves are only located in certain areas of TN, AL, and KY. I remember seeing something on PBS about them and scientist had all these theories about why my ancestors buried their dead like that. The most popular among anthropologists was that it was some kind of holdover from the Celtic religion. The second most popular was to keep scavengers out of the graves out of some kind of respect for the dead.

Tent Graves

So, I asked my great uncle before he passed. The answer was so simple. I told him what the scientists were saying and he looked at me like I was crazy. He laughed really loud and told me, "We did that to keep the cows off the graves honey!" Cattle grazed everywhere back then, and there were only pine boxes. When the graves sank, a cow could step on the grave and injure itself.

That's why the trees 'eating' these markers is so interesting. If anthropologists now cannot figure out why the graves are the way they are, what are future anthropologists going to think when they find one entombed in a tree?

Thanks for the pictures and the thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
ANGKOR WAT

Link to images

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elentarri
ANGKOR WAT

Link to images

that temple is cool, although it is not actually angkor wat.. it is very close and in the same "complex" of temples, but it is a different one.. i cant remember the name of it ..

this temple was also used in the first tomb raider movie..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i would love to try and start that motorbike, looks like the righ bits arnt engulfed

Very nice find, ive seen it before im sure but if it was like any of the ones linked id certinaly remeber.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Biigs because: added second line

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Only yesterday I was visiting my Grandad and noticed a street light that had been "eaten" if you will by a tree. A good half of this lampost was an actual tree.

I'm sure this is nothing new but I pointed it out to my brother at the time as I hadn't seen anything much like it before.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There's a tree at the university I go to that has a metal bar going through it from an old hand-railing it consumed. IT looks pretty cool actually. It's been like that since I started there about 4 or so years ago and if the age of the building it's next to is anything to go by, I'd say the pole is about 30 years old.

I love the bike pictures. I'm thinking I might go leave some old bikes next to some trees. If they don't get stolen, in 50 years I'll have myself a bike forrest

edit on 20-6-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join