It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's oceans in 'shocking' decline

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

The oceans are in a worse state than previously suspected, according to an expert panel of scientists.

In a new report, they warn that ocean life is "at high risk of entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Levels of CO2 being absorbed by the oceans are already far greater than during the great extinction of marine species 55 million years ago (during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum), it concludes

With all the over-fishing, oil spills, radioactive waste dumping that has happen to the sea since Humans walked this planet then this is really no surprise.

Forget all the Nibiru, 2012, mega quakes, WW3, pole shift dooms day scenarios. This is the real way the world will end, we well destroy and maime our planet till it is no long able to support any life let alone humans.

Just think about that when you eating your fish'n'chips and drinking your bottled water.

ALS

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 20-6-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Posting so this goes to My ATS from some reason it hasn't.

ALS

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

i had heard one estimate a while back, that stated if we keep fishing at current levels within 40 years there will be nothing left..

that is quite worrying.. if the eco systems in the oceans collapse, i think the knock on effect to our species will be catastrophic..

i just hope we dont go past the point on no return.. that is, if we already havent...

the worst thing is, commercial fishing does not discriminate, it catches whatever goes in the net and pulls the whole lot out.. what is of no value to the fisherman (which is alot) just gets thrown back in (dead)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Ol' Jaques Cousteau warned us all about this decades ago. It's no surprise.
Yet these scientists are shocked? Reminds me of Claude Raines in Casablanca:
"I am shocked....shocked to find there is gambling going on here!"
"Here's your winnings, sir"

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
when are we ever going to learn ??

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

In the article the scientists said that the rate of extinction would take hundreds of years, they now believe this process has dramaticly sped up. So could 40 years not be more like 20,15 or 10 years? I hope not.

ALS

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Seems like the world is falling apart around us these days. It is frightening to think that the oceans cover so much of the earth and they are in so poor of conditions.

According to the article this is happening at an accelerated rate and would be a "globally significant extinction event."

Would be interesting to read the report when it is released.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

“The road to the future leads us smack into the wall. We simply ricochet off the alternatives that destiny offers. Our survival is no more than a question of 25, 50 or perhaps 100 years.”-J. Cousteau

“If we go on the way we have, the fault is our greed [and] if we are not willing [to change], we will disappear from the face of the globe, to be replaced by the insect.”-J. Cousteau

I think ol' Jaques was right. Bummer for us...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by linkshot1000
when are we ever going to learn ??

When it is too late. As usual.

We consistently see reports of our ecology gradually getting worse - never better, and yet we continue drilling and mining, we continue to destroy acre upon acre of rain forest, and to pollute air, land and ocean.

Roll on the End Times I say - it will be the only way to stop us

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Nearly half of the world's protein comes from the oceans. The effects of this on places such as Western Europe, East and Southeast Asia will be catastrophic. Just think BP disasters' effects on the Gulf Coast X100.

We thought the oceans were inexhaustible and that we could fish and pollute all we want without repercussion.
Within the next decade we will see the effects of this happening the world over and may well be the trigger for resource wars by nations facing starvation.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

www.bbc.co.uk

The oceans are in a worse state than previously suspected, according to an expert panel of scientists.

In a new report, they warn that ocean life is "at high risk of entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history".

ALL that energy/vibrations being destroyed, 1 could imagine can have effects on the overall frequency. SAD

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is grave news but thank you for alerting my attention to it.
I have been following the strange die off's of animals this year (mainly marine life) and some of the main reasons given by the scientists for the cause were lack of oxygen and poison from mass algae blooms.

It seems to relate to the BBC article the OP linked to.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think the BP(beyond petroleum) oil volcano(not leak) contributed the most to this grave scenario. No nuclear bombs were dropped to seal the #ing thing shut despite the fact all the major nuclear powers continue to test nukes underground, underwater and even above ground.

You do the math and tell me if there is a conspiracy! Seriously!

100,000 barrels per day X 30 days per month X 4 months =

God help us if an asteroid is on a collision course with earth because our stupid "leaders" would probably be in vegas gambling, drinking, feasting, sleeping around with prostitutes, you name it.......everywhere except there office.

All past civilisations went from peek to obscurity because of arrogance and neglect. I think we are no exception because humans are incapable of learning. It must be a capitalist curse or something. I don't know!
edit on 6/20/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: add content

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Japan is for as I know still leaking radioactive cooling water into the sea, the effects on sealife is undetermined but probably devestating. The mexico-gulf oilspill is sickening and we are not done yet...the next pollution is just a matter of time. It is very sad.....Sometimes I just wonder how beautifull and serene the earth must have been in 1950 and before. In those 60 years we have been raping the earth.....

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mankind will continue on as it always does without regard to the earth and its environment. We have managed to screw up all the elements in which we need to survive. What a lovely gift to leave to our children and grandchildren.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is crazy.

I just came here from a thread about Sea Sheppard where EVERY ONE of the replies attacked SSCS and liked calling Paul Watson a terrorists... WTF

The seas have been in decline as a steady rate for over 100 years. We are now eating fish that would never had been considered palatable. I won't go on.

I watched a documentary where some guys decided to test the theory that a raft setting sail from South America would land in Australia without any propulsion. It did it in a month. The film was black and white. What shocked me was the way the raft would be covered with flying fish in the morning, dipping a rod in the ocean meant catching a fish and they were tailed by sharks the whole way. The difference from then to now is staggering.

The sea is a long way out there and we can easily forget how it changes. It's out of sight out of mind. We overfish the seas and dump everything as if nothing will come of this. It has but we don't necessary have to care. Humans in the future may struggle to survive because of us but nobody will care. That's the problem. As long as there is no way to enforce quota's and even contend with nations that overfish, (yet hold political sway), there is nothing we can do other than sit back and watch the Discovery Channel and grumble about what other people do.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Let's be serious now. The only way to fix this would be a sudden technological development (cloning perhaps). But that would then anger the anti-cloning spiritualist morons.

Another way would be to halve the population of the human race (but we don't want that do we... or do we?)

Another way would be to enforce strict regulation of fishing, use of vehicles,etc. But then the western world would see that as the rise of a new Nazi empire, am i right?

People want something, but others will hate it. This is humanity's biggest problem, but also it's source of freedom.

it's like a riddle, really.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

No matter which option is taken ,there will be conflict, as only drastic measures could fix the supposed drastic decline. Regardless, i still think cloning would be the best option for the fish problem as most people i think are apathetic, it's only the pretentious morons that are against it.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So now they are claiming it is worse than when our atmosphere contained thousands of ppm of co2??
These people never cease to amaze me..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Yes they are insane and they want to depopulate the humans and commit genocide and eugenics on the populace. That is part of their plan

Refer to my post on the thread about this exact same topic for a break down of exposing this fraud.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Prince Phillip Quote

"“If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.”

edit on 20-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join