It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins kept vigil on Irishman's body

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Even though man has been killing dolphins for years,the dolphins still care for human life..touching.

Great thread!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion1

Now that was a bit of a shock to me indeed. Only now do I realize that the image of dolphins was way too flawless in my mind and usually something that flawless can barely ever live up to reality, it's just... too fantastic.

Dolphins actually murdering for no apparent reason other than just 4 fun-... oh wait, hold that thought right there for a sec-
sounding familiar?

...maybe dolphins really are the next level humans. For they seem to be closely following the path of ambivalence and boy, I do not know any creature as self-contradicting as us humans, literally capable of spilling hate and love in the same breath.

That being said, I still adore dolphins and enjoyed reading the article on the actions of these truly intriguing creatures. Instinctive behaviour or actual compassion in our sense of the term? All I know is that this isn't the only incident of this kind where dolphins have proven to act selflessly towards humans, or at least for no other apparent reason.

S&F btw.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by moleskin

Originally posted by moleskin
I must say, I too saw the footage of the killer whales take out the baby through pure exhaustion and the mother whale was completely powerless - similarly the same thing goes with the dolphins.

From what I know this is actually one of the hunting strategies known to be commonly practiced by orcas. Saw a documentary on the topic in which they did just that, hunting down a gray (or was it blue?) whale mother and her calf till exhaustion, then drowning it - only to devour little more than it's tongue and some other bits I cannot recall anymore...

this strategy can be looked up here, actually en.wikipedia.org...

Hunting large whales usually takes several hours. Killer whales generally choose to attack young or weak animals instead. However, a group of five or more may attack a healthy adult. When hunting a young whale, a group chases it and its mother until they wear out. Eventually they separate the pair and surround the calf, preventing it from surfacing to breathe, drowning it.

Ruthless it seems, but then again fascinating in some way... heh, no wonder killer whales are also referred to as "wolves of the sea".

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

It is a lovely little story. And spiritually up-lifting if true. The problem is the anthropomorphism of dolphins. They are extremly intelligent, of that there is no doubt and they are beautiful. They also engage in gang rape and murder. We do not know what is in a dolphin's mind when it acts upon a stimulus. There is anecdotal evidence that would lead us to believe that on some occasions they do try to render aid to a human who is in danger in the water. They also kill and eat other large aquatic mammals. They are carnivoirs.

But, for now lets assume that this particular pod was indeed trying to help this poor fellow. It is a much nicer thought than some others.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Humans slaughter them daily and they kindly try to save us. Nature is truly loving.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Makes me really angry when I hear all the terrible things to we do dolphins, and they act out of kindness towards us.
2nd.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion1

Well you could also say that perhaps dolphins are like humans in terms of personality. Not like you would think, but perhaps there are good and bad dolphins, just like humans. After all, if a dog attacks someone, it doesn't mean all dogs are bad, just the dog that attacked the person has issues.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
This is a great story thanks for posting it op.I love dolphins truly intelligent creatures. They taste pretty good to, when i was in Japan i had some dolphin fin soup, havent seen any here in the states. Anyways these dolphin stories always amaze me.

WTF man?

Are you serious? If so, I just don't get people like you, we are on much different wavelengths.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Probably the most intelligent species on the planet. How arrogant we human beings are to think that aliens actually come to Earth to visit us.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Right now efforts are underway to build a language that both dolphins and humans can communicate with.

www.independent.co.uk...

Once this language is finally perfected I have one question that might settle the "who is god" issue once and for all. You see, anthropologist teach that all things are relative and that man is ethnocentric. Therefore we created God not vice versa. The bible, however, teaches that "man was made in the image of God." Of course the idea of a creator is somewhat a vague word. Nevertheless, if scientists can ask a dophin what does God look like? And the dolphin answers that God looks like man, then we would have independent validation that maybe in fact God exists and man was created in his image. Afterall, the bible also teaches that out of the mouth of two or three witnesses all things will be established. So far we only have the opinion of one witness which is mankind itself.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 11:11

I gather from your post that you are a vegetarian thats fine dude to each his own I say. I won't judge you as long as you won't judge me.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

No vid and where's the proof their interest was a "vigil". I have to laugh how if written just the right way, even a non-event can be made into a story. The dolphins could have just been invstigating, I mean a dead body certainly can be interesting to other animals. Since dolphins aren't reknown people eaters I'm thinking they were interested in so far as they weren't merelycurious for a snack, but a vigil? What sort of flimsy evidence proves this vigil thing?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
yes, thank you for posting that on a dreary monday morning, dolphins are so beyond our understanding, such highly intelligent creatures, and that is an amazing story... so long and thanks for all the fish!

A DOLPHIN IS A MAMMAL YOU SCHITZO!

I kid, but no really, they are mammals

but no really, it makes me wonder what the dolphins were thinking, what possessed them to try to save the human?
turns out there is, in fact, a shred of good on this earth.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Greetings all.

Thank you to the OP for the post. The Dolphin is a very interesting and intelligent mammal and never ceases to amaze me.
I am an avid fisherman and where I come from there is a species of Dolphin that is a food and game "Fish". It is sold in many seafood restaurants and seafood shops on the southern east coast of the United States under the Hawaiian name "Mahi-mahi. It is not related to the Delphinidae family of mammals but is often confused with this species. This is why it is listed as Mahi-mahi on most menus. Most people would not like to picture Flipper when they are ordering a Dolphin or Mahi-mahi sandwich. I mention this because it may be causing some confusion in this post. I am sure that some cultures in the world will eat the mammal as some peoples still kill whales. I personally think it is a travesty to kill any intelligent being including each other but then again I do not make the rules.
Thank you for you time.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

"so long and thanks for all the fish" is the song the dolphins sing in "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

fyi

edit on 21-6-2011 by redhawk724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator

Originally posted by schitzoandro
yes, thank you for posting that on a dreary monday morning, dolphins are so beyond our understanding, such highly intelligent creatures, and that is an amazing story... so long and thanks for all the fish!

A DOLPHIN IS A MAMMAL YOU SCHITZO!

I kid, but no really, they are mammals

but no really, it makes me wonder what the dolphins were thinking, what possessed them to try to save the human?
turns out there is, in fact, a shred of good on this earth.

"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" Cinema version 2005

that's what he was referring to. it's a great movie! cracked me up!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

It is entirely possible it was a vigil. Did you know that Ravens have been observed conducting funeral rites for their dead? It happened in Alaska and it was caught on video. Ravens seem to mourn their dead. The following is an account from The Tower of London:

It has been observed (not infrequently) that when a member of the flock perishes, the birds will hold what could be called a “raven funeral” – a 24-hour event marked by raucous outcries.

Source

Elephants have been observed mourning their dead as well.

So who's to say that isn't exactly what the dolphins were doing. I know the treat people with disabilities different when they're in the water. Dolphin therapy has become pretty popular. The trainers say the dolphins seem to pick up on what the person is feeling.

There's a saying from the Sioux, "Mitakuye Oyasin". It means "we are all related." Stories like these serve to remind us of that fact.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by redhawk724

Love that song. I wonder if they left, if that's what they'd really say.

For those that are unfamiliar with the song, lyrics can be found here:

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

A DOLPHIN IS A MAMMAL YOU SCHITZO! I kid, but no really, they are mammals but no really, it makes me wonder what the dolphins were thinking, what possessed them to try to save the human? turns out there is, in fact, a shred of good on this earth.

where did i say they were not mammals? do you mean the "so long and thanks for all the fish? that is actually from hitchiker's guide to the galaxy, and the dolphins say that before they all fly off our planet, but yes i digress they are completely awesome mammals!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
animals our are friends, lets help our friends. stop eating meat, these animals have emotions, happiness, sadnesss, joy, fear. we don't need meat, just lots of smoke.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join