It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins kept vigil on Irishman's body

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
reply to post by miniatus

Sorry to offend you buddy, but I have a pretty simple outlook on life. If it tastes good eat it and If it tastes bad spit it out. I do love dolphins and would never go out of my way to hurt one. But if its on the menu and it seems pretty exotic, then damn I want to try it. Guess you could say im like that fat guy on the Travel channel Andrew Zimmer something I'm an adventerous eater.

Well considering Dolphin meat conatins dangerous levels of mercury, just goes to show how intelligent you are. Enjoy your meal sir.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion1

If so many people see dolphins as having.. souls that are one step below us humans (everything has a soul, but the dolphins seem to be closest to us in intelligence) then could their rampage of 'murder' just be misguided growth as they take on a bigger burden in the future?

Just as how we humans do the exact thing, we judge dolphins that do that, yet do not judge Man for doing the exact same thing? It appears dolphins are going to be the next.. intelligence alongside humans.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

I love dolphins. Kudos for posting this.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Good post. I was shocked to learn from prior reading, they literally murder porpoises for no apparent reason. I was also shocked to watch footage of killer whales chasing a mother and baby whale to the point of exhaustion and killing the baby while the mother visibly grieved. They did not eat the baby. They were not defending territory. By human standards it was cold blooded murder. I always thought only we humans killed for savage amusement. Well, okay, maybe we humans and some housecats.

So, these sea dwelling mammals are as diverse, complex and may be more like us than we fully realize. I love and respect them as part of nature, but I think I'll pass on swimming with them. I'm a landlubber anyway.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Dolphins are truly fantastic creatures. This story is captivating, though it came from the death of a fellow human. The references to the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy are great. I hope that they do find a way out before the total distruction of their habitat. They are far more compassionate than we humans. This story is just more proof of that very fact. The nay-sayers beg to differ, but the level of intelligence is undeniable. If eating them makes you feel superior, well, I would suspect that human flesh is just as delicious. Eating somebody wouldn't make me superior, it would just make me a sick bastard.

That being said, cheers to the dolphins.
Jeers to the douchebags.

And rest assured that you were delivered by angels, to the man whose life was lost in the creation of this story,

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Aside from the obvious trolls, some great points, and a great story!

I must say, I too saw the footage of the killer whales take out the baby through pure exhaustion and the mother whale was completely powerless - similarly the same thing goes with the dolphins.

With no evidence or proof, I offer a theory though.

As someone else pointed out, better to eat the dolphin than to allow it to suffer and starve to death. What if humanities exploitation of the seas is the reason more and more of these animals are becoming more aggressive toward each other? Because there are also reports of dolphins communicating and playing around with massive whales and other cetaceans.

Let me put this to you in human terms. We have four tribes, and enough food for those four tribes. With enough food there is peace in the tribes, and whilst they stay out of each others lives, there is no aggression.

Suddenly a bigger superior tribe decides to come along and take half the food without asking. The remaining four tribes now only have half as much food to contend with, what happens next?

Quite simply speaking, the impact humanity has is beyond imaginable - we just do not know what new level of unnatural behaviour we could be influencing with our unsustainable policies.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
thanx for sharing OP

second line.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
NIce post. It is refreshing to hear some good news these days. Dolphins are unusually smart creatures I am told. Mother Nature, if left to its own, will work wonders!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Well considering Dolphin meat conatins dangerous levels of mercury, just goes to show how intelligent you are. Enjoy your meal sir.

In low quantities it's not that dangerous. You shouldn't eat too much, just like it's the case with tuna.
And yes, Dolphins do taste interesting, good actually, so they at least serve a purpose and are not useless like so many other animals who just waste air, water and room we humans could use

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I love dolphins! when ever I see one in the ocean I feel safe. It is sad when people kill them for no reason. Sometimes I think they are smarter than us. /Salute to the best surfers in the world.

Goes to show, Dolphins have compassion. A trait most humans lack.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
When God created the world, he designed it perfect. Man and animals were cohabitable. But without the slightest doubt Man was created to be superior to animals. But Man decided he could choose for himself his own ways, and not listen to his creator, God.

So when Man's own selfish desire led him to sin, then all creation - stars, earth, animals, man, etc. - was corrupted by that sin. Man was a vegetarian, corruption made him into a carnivore. And animals that once were docile and freindly to man, became hostile and dangerous carnivores as well by man's sin.

Dolphins and other domesticated animals are God's way of reminding us that He once had a perfect plan for us, and by our own choosing of deciding His way wasn't good enough, we have screwed up everything.

Fortunately, God is Holy, Perfect, Righteous, Merciful and Forgiving. If we turn to Him and admit our sins, He is able and willing to forgive them. This world will never be corrected, but it will be destroyed along with all the corruption and be made "new" (a spiritual Earth, as it were) that will never again see sin and death and corruption.

Lets indeed enjoy animals like our domesticated dogs and cats, and wonderful creatures like dolphins and horses, etc. But do not confuse them as being superior or more important than man. Animals have souls but not eternal spirits like humans do. They can be companions, laborers, pets, food, whatever, but they are not superior.

Nevertheless, I too have read many stories about Porpoises that are similar, and I thank God that He made these wonderful creatures that we can enjoy, and that can help us in our times of need if possible.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
im not buying it how do we know he didnt smell like food? and the dolphins wernt just curious/hungry.bored? its a nice story but keep in mind orca is a really big dolphin and wont try and save you. if dolphins were large enuf or humans small enuff they would eat you every time they were hungry and had the option. its like the old saying if your 50 to 100 x heavier then a cat you can pet it. if you reverse the equation thats not whats gonna happen. people forget nature is trying to kill you its called survival of the fittest. thats why we took the time to lay all that pavement. thats why you live in the suburbs not a log cabin.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
we should really be working on a way to communicate with these animals.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This story got me right in the center of my heart.

I'm absolutely blown away.

edit on 6/21/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Don't get me wrong. I love Dolphins also. This is just something that I felt needed to be added to this thread.

I would still swim with a dolphin because in this life everything you do has a chance to go wrong. But if it doesn't it is an experience that you will cherish and remember always.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

It shocked me also. I never knew any of that.

But we live and learn.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I had a thought after reading all the well voiced opinions.

As the man who perished had a love of the creatures, I have no doubt that he recieved at least some peace when he saw them coming at that time, drowning is peacefull after the first breath...what a vision.

I couldn't help but picture the dolphins seeing and understanding the look in his eyes, relief and joy at thier sight, might have helped motivate them, as well I thought that humans have one other neat quality that I have not witnessed in animals, I am sure that he comforted (or tried too)the dolphin when he realized it could not free him, we are one of the only creatures I think that take ownership of another creatures pain, I have seem animals empathise but never own a humans pain...the fact it kept trying may be enough evidence for me....dunno

Great think, and wonderfull example of why we should live within our environment than useing it for our consumption. I would trade a nutural "moment" over money any day and do all the time.

Cheers!
edit on 21-6-2011 by treespeaker because: Darn dislexia

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

thanks for posting that, pretty interesting, adds a little perspective. if dolphins were studying us, they'd probably have a pretty similar article about the devious behavior of a percentage of the population. "all dolphins are super nice loving creatures" is as naive as saying "every person is inherently good" in my opinion, but i'm a bit of a cynic.

so long and thanks for all the fish

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

Thanks for sharing this article. Dolphins just seem like they are more caring for humans that we are of each other. I'm glad that articles like this are shared, especially during the times we live in right now.

edit on 21-6-2011 by Greensquad414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, for your replies and your input. I am aware of dolphins that do act somewhat viciously. In my mind, that makes them even more like us. Some good, some not so good. This pod seemed to be one of the good ones. I don't think they thought he was food because they didn't bite him. I've seen documentaries of them hunting. I think they picked up on his stress and responded much in the same way they've been documented to do throughout history. Stories of dolphins saving humans go all the way back to the Greeks. They even invented a myth to explain it.

the god Dionysus transformed the way dolphins were perceived in Greek literature. He was set upon while at sea by a band of pirates. Instead of simply destroying the sea raiders, he transformed them into a pod of dolphins, charging them to rescue any distressed sailors in the ocean. Dolphins, in Greek culture, were often rescuers of humans, probably because they like to bring things to the surface and, well, because there’s some really good evidence that they do indeed purposely rescue people in danger.

This site is a really good one about dolphins: Dolphin World

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join