It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cow killed by Chinese Lantern, ban urged.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right area but feel free to move.

So a report on sky is once again heeding the calls for chinese lanterns to be banned and for people to not use them after a farmer has had one of his cattle killed by one.
I'm sure all of you are more than aware of chinese lanterns and probably wish they didn't exist either.
Here is something I didn't know too, "Chinese lanterns have already been banned in countries including Germany, Australia and parts of New Zealand."
Will the UK follow?
Unlikely.

An NFU spokesperson told Sky News Online: "We're asking people to think twice and decide against releasing Chinese lanterns.

"They may look attractive but they often land on farmland, with potentially disastrous results."

The NFU also say that the risk of fire is an issue, especially with parts of the country in drought conditions.

Huw Rowland, 41, of The Grange Farm in Chester, is calling for the lanterns to be completely outlawed after one of his cows was killed 18 months ago.

"One of our prize cows was killed after having its throat cut by a Chinese lantern. The razor sharp wire in it slit the cows oesophagus and it suffocated over 48 hours. It was a pretty brutal way to go," he told Sky News Online.

Skynews

Sounds like a pretty harrowing way to go for anybody.
edit on 20-6-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

A ban on the things would be great. That would eliminate a good bit of hoax and mistaken UFO reports.

But to ban them because of one freak accident that killed a cow last year? Insane.

Perhaps Chinese lanterns are more popular elsewhere than in the states and a constant threat to people and farm animals? I rather doubt it.

Excuses for banning them during draught times makes perfect sense, however. In the southwestern US o Texas, Arisoniza and New Mexico most communities if not the entire state will ban fireworks and perhaps even firecrackers. Most of those areas have had long-standing bans on general burning and campfires for a couple of months. No appreciable rain has fallen since last October in the austin area..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Nasty...

There's a joke in this about cattle mutilations and UFO's too I'm sure

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

So this little alien walks into a bar with a Chinese lantern under his arm. The barman say:" Let me guess, you want to phone home that diner will be late because you can't find a lighter to start your craft?"

"Nahh", says the alien, "Earth banned the use of the X5 "Chinese lantern" star cruiser, so it's back to the old X4 "swamp gas" voyager"

"So? What's the problem", asks the barman.

"They banned the X4 "swamp gas" voyager on Zeta4!!!"

.......... get it.
They banned the X4 "swamp gas" voyager on Zeta4

ohhh I kill me....

Peace

PS: On topic: Yeah, they should ban those things, should save us a lot of Youtube-threads.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yeah, they should ban those things, should save us a lot of Youtube-threads.

Agreed. UFO sightings will virtually come to a halt.
But how many threads will pop up asking why the aliens have suddenly
stopped visiting us?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

A Chinese lantern is probably a more humane death than a cow receives at the local slaughter house. Maybe somebody should think about marketing Chinese lanterns to the beef producers....might be billions in it.

Double win for the animal rights activists...more humane process for killing the cattle, and if they don't like it, they can blame it on...well I am sure you can finish that!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Oh man! The x4! GOLD!

edit on 20/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So I wonder if this counts as Cattle mutilation?

Seriously though, I would love for them to be banned.... It would reduce the incidents of mistaken sightings and hoaxes, if only by a small amount.... It would be worth it, I think.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by pazcat

A Chinese lantern is probably a more humane death than a cow receives at the local slaughter house. Maybe somebody should think about marketing Chinese lanterns to the beef producers....might be billions in it.

Double win for the animal rights activists...more humane process for killing the cattle, and if they don't like it, they can blame it on...well I am sure you can finish that!

Uhmmm...did you read the part where the farmer says it took the poor animal 48 hours to kick the bucket??

Peace

PS: thanks for the drumroll Chad....

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

It's not one freak accident. I've read quite a few reports over the years where cattle have eaten lanterns and either died, or had to have surgery to remove the wire, which gets caught up in their digestive systems. Here's one example from the UK. www.thisisdevon.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
To be fair it's not just cattle that's in danger, many people have thatched roof's or fencing that could easily be a fire hazard. Many people have had issues when they land and burn play equipment or anything else in there yards. They difinitely can be a problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Uhmmm...did you read the part where the farmer says it took the poor animal 48 hours to kick the bucket??

Yes...yes I read the part where it said it took 48 hours....my apologies as it was a shot at sarcasm...apparently I mistook this whole thread as an attept at sarcasm too.

My bad...carry on with your poor BBQ Chinese lantern cow story!
edit on 20-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Yeah, ban those outmoded/new traditions! Not all of us appreciate or benefit whatever humans create. Can't people come up with something better to do with their lives than to pollute the atmosphere and land with those Chinese laterns?

new topics

top topics

join