It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Official - Humans ARE the Sixth Extinction Event for Planet Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyStardust

The native americans population was far less than what we see today though. Imagine if every citizen were required to go and hunt his own wild meat? We would quickly extinct all the major game species out there. While I agree that current meat production practices are detrimental to the environment, these animals were raised solely for the production of food, thereby protecting the vast majority of other 'game species' from quickly going extinct.

I can see where you are coming from, but IMHO its not quite the right solution. Something needs to change, but I dont see that change being going back to hunting/gathering.
edit on 20-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
And now there is likely to be more radiation from the Fukushima plant entering the pacific ocean.

Japan: More Radiation to enter the Ocean

Corporations make me sick. And are now likely to be the end of us normal folk.

Nuclear power is the only way to keep electricity costs within sane levels, but you know, the thing I've been telling myself the past few years is that if a nuclear plant fails you have a meltdown or a heavy burden on your hands, but if a solar cell fails or a wind turbine fails then you replace.

One method is infinitely decentralized and easy to use and the other is not. Nuclear might be more cost effective, but the average joe cannot have a nuclear power plant and nor are the consequences of a nuclear disaster comparable to a broken wind turbine. You may be able to compare several transmission lines going down at once or several concentrated solar plants shutting off for some random reason, but that's stretching it and the consequences won't remain for thousands of years either. We could get hit by a solar storm or asteroid and have nearly everything wiped out, but we'd still have the sun and could still make solar cookers. If that doesn't tell you something important then you're hopeless. We get so spoiled and confused by our technology and class system that separates us from each other and from things. We forget that all of this could be taken away from us in a windstorm or in a major catastrophe. We forget that without roads and without gas we can't go to the supermarket to get our food. We have as a society put ourselves into a vulnerable position and we're gambling with our lives.

We live well in our artificial realities. But take it away from us and we're just fancy dressed monkeys. You quickly realize that when you have no running water and no easy food. You've been bred on believing that if you do A you will get B, but now you see that A is not available to you. You were taught to work to get what you deserve. But if A is not there, then no amount of work will get you B. And this is where true insight can be gained and make us more survivable.
edit on 20-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
"Its OFFICIAL!'...by whose opinions, standards and investigation? Because its an article? On YouTube? You saw it on-line? The simple including of that "announcement" at the beginning of this post turns me off. I may agree with most, I do in fact...but when anyone tells me its "PROOF!", "OFFICIAL"..."just revealed"...it attests to the fact that its absolute...of which not much in this world is.

There are always variables and differences of opinion and refutation and non-acceptance of those so called facts.
As I read its from a story about an agency...none of which is "proof" of anything...and certainly not official. Hey! Im alive...thats official. That the Plaedian ships will land tonight' cause my newspaper said so and its just on the "net"...thats NOT official...anything.

And its been discussed on a zillion threads here...can we please stop saying that ANYTHING is official, or proven beyond a shadow of a doubt (cause there always is doubt)...

Now when I see these....I just move on and wonder about the age of the O.P...."officially".

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by _SilentAssassin_
We are very complex beings.I believe that we has a species have a great potential.
Just have a some faith we are changing has we speak.

Your grammar does not give me confidence that it's in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dilapidated

dilapidated

I completely agree with you............ any sensible, logical thinking person knows that human influence on the Amazing planet is negative............ do we put in what we take.....simple answer is NO !

I guess most on ATS are probably already AWARE - Apart from those whom either seek to deny because they are complety DUMB or those who just want to hide behind the couch !!!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

The sad fact is, very few humans actually care. They are more interested in the latest iGadget, latest fashions or just getting drugged up and drunk. Blinded by lust and greed for the latest materialistic possessions.

We will only begin to change when we are starring extinction fully in the face.

st.

Unfortunately SatoriTheory, I think you are spot on............... I went to the London Aquarium on Sunday and listening to conversations of others, it does make you wonder if people can actually see past their Plasma/LED TV's or i-phones et al and actually appreciate the world............. It was eye-opening that more than half those at the Aquarium were more FIXATED by trying to photograph (no flash photography please !!) or video AS OPPOSSED to just looking at and appreciated the vast array of colours, species, shapes etc tec.....

IMHO I think that a portion of the human species is just losing it !!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

THe only HUMANS THAT NEED CULLING, and I didn't read you link, so I'm not sure if you said or the article, is TPTB, the globalists. Humans have done nothing of the sort. And there have always been solutions.

So who used the word culled?

I did...... it was my comment and actually IS my opinion........

If it offends you then I am NOT sorry .......

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
And now there is likely to be more radiation from the Fukushima plant entering the pacific ocean.

Japan: More Radiation to enter the Ocean

Corporations make me sick. And are now likely to be the end of us normal folk.

It just seems to get worse and worse........... I think people think that the oceans can dilute EVERY problem that Mankind throws at it.......... sooner or later we will get a surprize...
PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Painterz
Yeah, I was just reading this on the BBC news myself. In an age of terrifying news reports on environment change, this is by far and away the scariest I've ever read. (On the mainstream news.)

How to make changes though. If some nations ban over-fishing, others will just move in and keep fishing. LIke what happened when the UK was required to cut back fishing in some areas, Spanish trawlers just moved in and started fishing illegally.

The good news is if a total ban on fishing is put in, fish stocks seem to bounce back pretty quickly. So if we can find the political will to bring in these large-scale bans on fishing that are needed, the oceans could recover quite quickly.

Painterz

I think with the world today then the hope of nations 'bonding' and working to gether for the greater good is farther apart than ever................ I think unless we, as a species have a CATASROPHIC disaster then nothing will change and our generations and those ahead of us will not thank the older gnerations of today !!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
sorry but when was global warming accepted as fact? The seas are getting warmer because thats what happens over time... just one of earths cycles. I agree that we are polluting the planet, but it is nowhere near as bad as some people like to make out. At the end of the day, everything we use on a day to day basis has come from the planet originally, and it is going back into the panet in one way or another. This might sound silly to some people but the simplest answers sometimes do

2012king

I agree that there are cycles in everything.......... whether it's nature, Finance, individual products and brands, the sun or whatever BUT do you really think that mankind has had NO effect on the planet ??

Do you really have to have it proved in black and white data when you can perhaps just open your eyes and look at the state of the environment, the pollution in the seas, the huge amounts of waste at landfills, the impact that cities and larger civilization has upon the earth on which it stands...........???!!

I'm no tree hugger BUT you must be so A**L as to want to dispute that we, as a species are just in a 'cycle'.. get a grip fool !!

Regards
PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory

The sad fact is, very few humans actually care. They are more interested in the latest iGadget, latest fashions or just getting drugged up and drunk. Blinded by lust and greed for the latest materialistic possessions.

We will only begin to change when we are starring extinction fully in the face.

st.

Yup. humans (most) are slaves to themselves. and technology has the higher grip. hell technology rules this world...not us

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Amazing that we actually have people who buy into this:

Lets kill a few billion folks for what a handful do. Makes sense to me. NOT!!!

Klassified

Good image !

I do think however that long before we, as a species ''wake up'' collectively and act to be more resourceful and less wasteful... mother nature WILL HAVE done exactly what the sign is suggesting.............Shame that for a species which proclaims itself so intelligent and clever it WILL sucumb to a higher and greater power called mother nature............ after all Klassified, we are only but a small part in the euqilibrium that is the Earth and I think we have over stepped the equilibrium..

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyStardust
reply to post by Observer99

the native americans killed their own food and ate it themselves. if those were the type of farming practices that went on today we would not have these problems. today's farming methods are corrupt; they are harmful to the environment and the consumers and unfair for the animals. no, eating an animal is not wrong in itself but in todays world we need to be more conscious of where our meat is coming from and who/what is suffering from it at the end of the day. stop putting money into the pockets of the sick humans who are torturing our animals and destroying the earth!!

edit on 20-6-2011 by ZiggyStardust because: (no reason given)

Self Subsistence is exactly how we humans should be working with the planet........... it is an eco system after all............. trouble is thought, that when there are 6 Billion and growing then unless radical measure are enacted and imposed then humans will always take more than we put back........ not something the American Indians did.......

If you look back at Easter Island (the one with the big head statues) that was a classic case of human exploitation of the lland to the point where it became uninhabitable............... I personaaly think we are headed down that road again !!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator
reply to post by Unity_99

I will have to disagree. If you will allow me to twist an analogy for a moment: The globalists, TPTB, etc have only brought water to the horses, they didnt make us drink.

I, for one, have made the conscious decision not to buy 'the latest thing'. This was a recent effort so I am still practicing and perfecting, and Ill admit, sometimes its hard. For example I have made it well known that I wont accept 'gifts' at christmas, birthdays, etc; And the reason is two fold. First I have more than enough '#' already. I dont even use half of my possessions on a weekly basis, and many are not necessary at all. Second, these holidays have just turned into 'yet another reason' to spend frivolously and add even more debt to our credit cards.

'They' have led me to the latest greatest products, made them available to me, I have choosen not to 'drink' of their offerings (in most cases
) That being said, The handful have definately contributed, but humanity as a whole are largely to blame.
edit on 20-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

IntegratedInstigato

I congratulate you on what you said............. I too do not need more STUFF and have actively Stopped buying it........... I do not need another mobile phone or another jacket or another peice of furniture or a.n.other thing...............If only most thought about it and spent only on what they NEED..

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
"Its OFFICIAL!'...by whose opinions, standards and investigation? Because its an article? On YouTube? You saw it on-line? The simple including of that "announcement" at the beginning of this post turns me off. I may agree with most, I do in fact...but when anyone tells me its "PROOF!", "OFFICIAL"..."just revealed"...it attests to the fact that its absolute...of which not much in this world is.

There are always variables and differences of opinion and refutation and non-acceptance of those so called facts.
As I read its from a story about an agency...none of which is "proof" of anything...and certainly not official. Hey! Im alive...thats official. That the Plaedian ships will land tonight' cause my newspaper said so and its just on the "net"...thats NOT official...anything.

And its been discussed on a zillion threads here...can we please stop saying that ANYTHING is official, or proven beyond a shadow of a doubt (cause there always is doubt)...

Now when I see these....I just move on and wonder about the age of the O.P...."officially".

mysterioustranger

You BORE me !

Regards

PDUK
edit on 20-6-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: spelt his silly name wrong !!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The world is not overpopulated. Our technology is just really dirty. Our habits and methods are dirty and wasteful. Our attitudes are very poor.

The Earth could easily hold a population of 200-300 billion humans if only we had advanced technology and methodology.

We need a sustainable and renewable paradigm to replace our consume/waste paradigm.

The only reasons we are harming the Earth's ecosystems is through material pollution, and through destruction of habitats.

We need to learn how to cultivate resources or tap into renewable sources, and how to process and recycle our waste materials. By doing this, we can probably stop destroying the biomes or habitats.

I mentioned our attitudes as well because that plays into this big time.

People have to let go of materialism and greed. It's the source of this disease. People want want want more more more.

And that crap has got to come to an end.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I personally think that anyone who thinks and sees the human race as a blight, as the worse thing in our planet, should, right the minute they think it, put a bullet (or find any other suited method) and terminate their lives.

Cause its so incongruent that anyone as a human that says we should disappear from the face of the earth yet they themselves continue living... it just doesnt make sense.

The very least I would ask is a bottom note saying "I will now lead by example and will now terminate my useless presence in this world and its one dirty human in this beautiful planet" - and well... get on with it.

But nooooo... ppl write this crap but then they're just part of the rest of the killer humans out there...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I can see the headlines in the next few years. World pulled out of deep depression, by investments in new anti-carbon Industry. People will never backlash too much when they finally can get back to work taxing carbon output and building huge anti-carbon machines to suck carbon out of the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by Aleister

As for the Earth -- why should we care, in and of itself? Think about it for a moment. We shouldn't care for the sake of the planet itself, it's just a planet. It can't feel anything, it isn't aware of anything. We shouldn't care for the sake of non-sentient creatures. Fish... nah. Do you cry when they get eaten by sharks? Should we kill all the sharks? Should we kill anything that eats anything else?

Your attitude regarding the earth is wrong imo. Its because so many people think like you that the world is in the trouble its in. By not caring for the planet and by upsetting the natural balance in nature the human race has tipped the scales over too far and now the human race faces a long, slow road to extinction - it is a case of 'when' and not 'if' imo.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I personally think that anyone who thinks and sees the human race as a blight, as the worse thing in our planet, should, right the minute they think it, put a bullet (or find any other suited method) and terminate their lives.

Humans are not a blight.

But ignorance can become a blight. Selfishness and greed can become a plague.

What we really need to kill is our primitive industrial technology. We need to kill our selfish attitudes.

If we could do those two things, I would think it would be fine for anyone to have all the babies they want personally.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join