It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Official - Humans ARE the Sixth Extinction Event for Planet Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Just read this article on BBC news which reports on a study from the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO), which concludes, after extensive research that our Oceans are dying off at an unprecedented rate..... Faster than ever thought...!!

They warn that ocean life is "at high risk of entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history".

www.bbc.co.uk...

We here, on ATS accept that there is accelerated warming of the sea ice but more worringly he team noted, are the ways in which different issues act synergistically to increase threats to marine life.

Some pollutants, for example, stick to the surfaces of tiny plastic particles that are now found in the ocean bed.

This increases the amounts of these pollutants that are consumed by bottom-feeding fish.

Plastic particles also assist the transport of algae from place to place, increasing the occurrence of toxic algal blooms - which are also caused by the influx of nutrient-rich pollution from agricultural land.

In a wider sense, ocean acidification, warming, local pollution and overfishing are acting together to increase the threat to coral reefs - so much so that three-quarters of the world's reefs are at risk of severe decline.

We are Poisoning our planet and it's levels have reached / perhaps passed breaking point.....

IMHO - the human race needs to be culled !!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

you really dont need any statistics to know this
we hit our oceans in every weak spot, and everywhere else too

we overfish most species in the ocean, pollute it, warm it, dump rubish in it, oil spills, coral bleaching, destruction of reefs etc....

but the fact is you only need to take out one key species to collapse a whole ecosystem, and currently we are putting many key species at risk of extincition..

say bye bye to the oceans, sad to say
i love scubadiving, wont be so fun when its just sand and rock

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Not as much overfish as mega-fish, huge nets sweeping anything that moves into a death trap. There is no need for humans to eat meat. and the clearing of land to grow feed-crops combined with the "harvesting" (ha! gives the word a bad name) of the waters seems to be the main cause of the destruction of the rainforests, oceanic life, and the other forests and prairies of the world.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Aleister because: added to post

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The sad fact is, very few humans actually care. They are more interested in the latest iGadget, latest fashions or just getting drugged up and drunk. Blinded by lust and greed for the latest materialistic possessions.

We will only begin to change when we are starring extinction fully in the face.

st.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

THe only HUMANS THAT NEED CULLING, and I didn't read you link, so I'm not sure if you said or the article, is TPTB, the globalists. Humans have done nothing of the sort. And there have always been solutions.

So who used the word culled?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
And now there is likely to be more radiation from the Fukushima plant entering the pacific ocean.

Japan: More Radiation to enter the Ocean

Corporations make me sick. And are now likely to be the end of us normal folk.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yeah, I was just reading this on the BBC news myself. In an age of terrifying news reports on environment change, this is by far and away the scariest I've ever read. (On the mainstream news.)

How to make changes though. If some nations ban over-fishing, others will just move in and keep fishing. LIke what happened when the UK was required to cut back fishing in some areas, Spanish trawlers just moved in and started fishing illegally.

The good news is if a total ban on fishing is put in, fish stocks seem to bounce back pretty quickly. So if we can find the political will to bring in these large-scale bans on fishing that are needed, the oceans could recover quite quickly.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
There is no need for humans to eat meat.

According to who?

There's no need for humans to even exist if you want to be technical about it.

Meat is delicious. You don't have any authority (moral or otherwise) to tell people what they shouldn't eat "for the environment's sake." Oh, and the planet is already past its sustainable food capacity. What with all the land being ravaged by farming. I'd say we DO need to eat fish, realistically, to prevent a massive die-off of humans rather than maybe a sensible de-population through legislation.

I won't be eating anything else from the Pacific Ocean though, not after Fukushima.

As for the Earth -- why should we care, in and of itself? Think about it for a moment. We shouldn't care for the sake of the planet itself, it's just a planet. It can't feel anything, it isn't aware of anything. We shouldn't care for the sake of non-sentient creatures. Fish... nah. Do you cry when they get eaten by sharks? Should we kill all the sharks? Should we kill anything that eats anything else?

We should care for the sake of humanity. What that means is not just harvesting the oceans for food (which we can and should do) but also acting responsibly, for the sake of current and future generations enjoying what the planet has to offer. That is the correct underpinning of sensible environmentalism - being a champion of the natural environment, but doing so for the sake of man.

When you make statements like "no one should fish", it's just ridiculous. Even Native Americans ate animals. They lived in harmony with the land (well, giving them the benefit of the doubt there.) They respected a buffalo kill as sacred and used everything they could from it. Are you going to judge that as wrong too?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
sorry but when was global warming accepted as fact? The seas are getting warmer because thats what happens over time... just one of earths cycles. I agree that we are polluting the planet, but it is nowhere near as bad as some people like to make out. At the end of the day, everything we use on a day to day basis has come from the planet originally, and it is going back into the panet in one way or another. This might sound silly to some people but the simplest answers sometimes do

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I agree with the OP's title very much so. Could you imagine if we break our Earthly bonds and infect the cosmos as well...

Hopefully Aliens or higher powers exist to stop this from happening.
edit on 20-6-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I like how we have fish farms here. fish raised to eat. It's better for the environment, it's better for our health, just think of people eating fish from that polluted water. YUCK! Well I don't really eat fish per say, I eat crabs, lobster, shrimp, mussels, clams, and oysters and very rarely as they are quite steep in price. We should all follow Germany's lead.
Germany Bans Nuclear Power
edit on 20-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Not as much overfish as mega-fish, huge nets sweeping anything that moves into a death trap. There is no need for humans to eat meat. and the clearing of land to grow feed-crops combined with the "harvesting" (ha! gives the word a bad name) of the waters seems to be the main cause of the destruction of the rainforests, oceanic life, and the other forests and prairies of the world.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Aleister because: added to post

"Not as much overfish as mega-fish, huge nets sweeping anything that moves into a death trap. There is no need for humans to eat meat."

i'm confused. what does fish have to do with humans eating meat?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
All I can say about these statistics is "NO $#!+ SHERLOCK" we didnt need scientists to tell us the obvious, but now since they have chimed in with their two cents, we need to seriously look at this (sigh).

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
"Not as much overfish as mega-fish, huge nets sweeping anything that moves into a death trap. There is no need for humans to eat meat."

i'm confused. what does fish have to do with humans eating meat?

This probably depends on your point of view, where you are from, your up-bringing etc etc.

A lot of people view 'meat' as being the flesh of an animal. Therefore fish being a meat source.
Others view 'meat' as being the flesh of mammals. Therefore they consider pig, cow, etc to be 'meat'.

st.

link   
Corexit Man! The Gulf was a Nursery bed and we killed the babies!

So very sad! Dick Cheney will burn for this as it is his company that owned the manufacturer of this madness!

link   
We are very complex beings.I believe that we has a species have a great potential.
Just have a some faith we are changing has we speak.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I believe inland fish farming is going to see a dramatic rise in popularity as we need to look to other resources to keep humanity fed. I think everyone must remember that a famous person once said that "competition is a sin", so if you view this whole BBC thing as propoganda you could come to the conclusion that the big elite corporate owners want to put ownership of this problem, as well as guilt, on the average business owner. Blaming the little guy while covering up their contribution to the problem (usually the main problem) forces the competition out of business giving them a monopoly and control. Not to mention that the WTO and NAFTA have no problem overlooking foreign trading countries that have no environmental practices to speak of. Its a well thought out design to criple mankind systematically and with out care. Its all control related!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

the native americans killed their own food and ate it themselves. if those were the type of farming practices that went on today we would not have these problems. today's farming methods are corrupt; they are harmful to the environment and the consumers and unfair for the animals. no, eating an animal is not wrong in itself but in todays world we need to be more conscious of where our meat is coming from and who/what is suffering from it at the end of the day. stop putting money into the pockets of the sick humans who are torturing our animals and destroying the earth!!

edit on 20-6-2011 by ZiggyStardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Amazing that we actually have people who buy into this:

Lets kill a few billion folks for what a handful do. Makes sense to me. NOT!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I will have to disagree. If you will allow me to twist an analogy for a moment: The globalists, TPTB, etc have only brought water to the horses, they didnt make us drink.

I, for one, have made the conscious decision not to buy 'the latest thing'. This was a recent effort so I am still practicing and perfecting, and Ill admit, sometimes its hard. For example I have made it well known that I wont accept 'gifts' at christmas, birthdays, etc; And the reason is two fold. First I have more than enough '#' already. I dont even use half of my possessions on a weekly basis, and many are not necessary at all. Second, these holidays have just turned into 'yet another reason' to spend frivolously and add even more debt to our credit cards.

'They' have led me to the latest greatest products, made them available to me, I have choosen not to 'drink' of their offerings (in most cases
) That being said, The handful have definately contributed, but humanity as a whole are largely to blame.
edit on 20-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join